620 power steering

Eric Garside

I found a 720 at the yard with power steering setup. It appears that will liitle to no fabrication this could be made to work on my 620. Does anyone have any input on this or want to share how they got power steering on their truck? I searched but it didnt seem to turn up many results...

The 720 pump/resevior mounts in the fuel pump location so that would have to be addressed but the gear box looks like it is the same bolt pattern (I didnt have a tape with me at the yard).

Thanks,

Eric

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on the 620 gear box....but.

I installed the Z24 PS assembly on my LZ23...in my 720

I just notched the alt bracket and made a plate to stabilize the tension pulley.

Which was then welded to that (shiny) PS bracket that wraps around the corner of the head

That PS bracket was also shortened to clear the (black) inspection plate

Mocked up in cardboard.

sla3.jpg

P1140023-1.jpg

Sealik, what are you doing for a fuel pump? Electric relocated near the tank?

The pump is in the stock location....next to the 720 fuel tank.

The opening for the fuel pump on the head is covered with a....cover plate (:D) before the PS assembly is installed

My wife drives her 620 stock.

Thanks for insulting my masculinity Z-Train!! My truck is drivable I just want it to be easier and not so demanding on the interstate when commuting back and forth to work. (This would actually be used on what I hope to be my new K/C)

720's gearbox is outside the frame. The 620s are inside the frame so 720 gearbox wont work. The 280z-zx has ps gear box that you can make it work. You'll have to modify the gearbox to fit it then slap the stock 620 pitman arm on it. I have installed one on my truck and drove it but my gearbox has some slack from being used unit. I have mr2 electric ps pump but have yet to install it. Shouldnt be too hard. I haven't installed it yet due to the slack from the gearbox. I might just need to adjust it and tighten up the steering parts. Oh yah, you gotta use 720 steering shaft. I used one from 4x4 with the tilt steering.

I used an early zx box, later ones were R&P. It looks like this one

280zPSbox.jpg

79-80280ZcarPSbox.jpg

The 620 pitman arm fit the spline perfectly. As you can see the sector shaft fits on the inside of the frame rail.

Here's a 710 standard box (right) compared to a PS from a 200sx... The 200sx box looks identical to the 280zx one, and why not? No sense in making one for every application.

S-110frontendPsteering002Large.jpg

S-110frontendPsteering004Large.jpg

I'm hoping to maybe fit it to my goon later. The top 3 bolts on the PS unit look really close. The PS unit is taller.

S-110frontendPsteering005Large.jpg

Now back to the 620.... I had to oval the holes on the 620 frame and only two fit I think. I made a bolt on brace because I didn't have a welder. Would now have confidence to do a better looking job today, but it did work well, without any problems. The Power steering box for the above 200sx was from the S110 '80-'83 only. Later S12 200sx had R&P.

Any pump will work even the very simple GM units with the one piece pump and reservoir. (although Nissan made the one piece pumps and used them on the 720s and later cars)

motorpspump200sxZ20EZ24Large.jpg

The 620 pitman arm fits onto the sector shaft 180 degrees out. Not to worry, the spline is indexed and only has 4 possible way to fit it on. The closest wrong way is 90 degrees out... no one could mistake that!!!

The 620 steering column is ...out. No way to easily convert the one piece for use. I simply (:lol:) used one from a 720, although a car one may work. I used the 720 one because it has the headlights and wiper switches on the column and I had already swapped the dash and wire harness... but that's another story. The 720 column I used has a U joint and collapsible slip spline and is connected to the PS by a rag joint. Unfortunately the 720/zx rag joints were a different bolt spacing so I cut a round rag joint from a piece of 3/8" conveyor belt using a soup can and drilled the holes myself to fit.

PSteeringcolumn.jpg

Thanks for insulting my masculinity Z-Train!! My truck is drivable I just want it to be easier and not so demanding on the interstate when commuting back and forth to work. (This would actually be used on what I hope to be my new K/C)

Geez,lighten up a bit.

The 620s were much lighter than the 720s and only came with 6.00 X 14 tires. Drives like a car. :o You don't need p/s on the highway... you could need it for in town and for parking. Larger tires require more effort to turn.

At 3,600 lbs with driver here's why I needed p/s....

01070004-1.jpg

This was prior to me finding the net and the great people at NWDE who might have talked me out of and saved me a lot of time. :D The pump I mounted where the air pump would have been. Later I went to a SAS and used a 720 box on the outside of the frame but the spline on the sector shaft was different so... I swapped the zx sector in and it fit!. The latest incarnation is a box from a D21.

This was prior to me finding the net and the great people at NWDE who might have talked me out of and saved me a lot of time. :D The pump I mounted where the air pump would have been. Later I went to a SAS and used a 720 box on the outside of the frame but the spline on the sector shaft was different so... I swapped the zx sector in and it fit!. The latest incarnation is a box from a D21.

SAS? Solid Axle Suppension?

Unless your wife is packing some abnormal sized 'pipes'.... ;) ....I highly doubt should could (effortlessly) maneuver my truck about without the PS......... :D

My wife has had both knees replaced(at the same time)as she wore them out in Pro Rodeo.She is also a breast cancer survivor.The steering is nothing to her.