BOTH GONE, NO MORE PARTS.

Actually, that was my thought Len! Great minds must think alike! :D I'm pretty sure Regy's quarter is just as usable as this one, so were someone to actually want to buy the yellow one, then I'd only need a bit more to buy Regy's quarter. But yeah, from 20 feet, the yellow one looks great. On closer inspection there's a lot of work. Again, I could save it and make a driver of it, but not without dumping a shitton of time and money into it. And then I'd have two money pits. The 510 and D21 have both been money pits so far, can't do with a third!

No mines in the yard, lol! The mailbox, on the other hand.... :P

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, yeah, I like that scoop too. Needs to be mounted further back though to clear the indent in the hood, not sure if it would look good that way. It may find itself on my hood, not sure yet. I could do both the scoop and the whale tail spoiler, might look bitchin'!

Motor is now out of the second 510. And guess what I found? Datzenmike, you'll have to weigh in on this tranny! :P Have not confirmed if it's goofy shift (1st in R position), but it sure looks like it, yet it seems to be a long shaft. So I'll need to yank the driveshaft tomorrow since it's probably already been shortened.

You know, it's a wonder any of these cars behaved well. This one had only two bolts holding in the transmission crossmember as well! Unbelievable! Not like it's going to fall off, but sure as shit will have wiggle that would have transferred through the car. Not to mention the plastic bushings weren't in the shift lever at all, so it was loosy goosy as hell.

5101600yank1.jpg

5101600yank2.jpg

5101600yank3.jpg

5101600yank4.jpg

5101600yank5.jpg

5101600yank6.jpg

5101600yank7.jpg

5 speed? what 5 speed???

Motor is now out of the second 510. And guess what I found? Datzenmike, you'll have to weigh in on this tranny! :P Have not confirmed if it's goofy shift (1st in R position), but it sure looks like it, yet it seems to be a long shaft. So I'll need to yank the driveshaft tomorrow since it's probably already been shortened.

5101600yank4.jpg

5101600yank5.jpg

5101600yank6.jpg

Yeah, not a dogleg tranny. But was made after '80-ish so probably from an '80 720. It has what looks like a switch just forward of the shifter and above the speedo cable hook up???

If you want to know for sure unbolt it and place in 5th gear, lightly clamp some vice grips to the input shaft and put a mark on the output spline. Count the number of turns to get exactly 10 turns on the output in the tailstock. Let me know what you get and I'll give you the bad news. I'm hoping it's from a zx or Maxima but the evidence says 720.

Well, I would suspect 720 anyway, knowing those were probably easier to get and more common in the wrecking yard at the time this car was built.

I'm curious whether or not this would be a stronger version than the short trans dogleg I currently have in the car, or is this one prone to getting stuck in 2nd gear? I remember that on 720 pickups. Definitely don't want to have that issue. I'm thinking of updating the tranny because after 3 years of beating it up, it makes some bearing noise and generally indicates it's a little worn. Still works fine, but thinking a KA tranny or something else might be better to stand up to higher hp after I get done with it this second time.

Yeah it's a 71B style and stronger than the dogleg. The 71B was used in the zx car and handled over 150hp, 130hp in the CA18ET 200sx and handles over 130 ft lbs of torque in the Z24 720s. The dogleg was only used with L20Bs and Z20Ss.

Okay, so the plan continues! I'm in the process of prepping the roof on the blue 510 now. I haven't started a for sale thread, think I'm just going to continue this one since I'm going to be slow in parting these out. There has been some interest from Canada, but not enough to warrant a delivery trip there, so those parts may wait until Canby next year.

Don't know about Blue Lake, not even sure where it is, only from lack of searching the threads in the event section. Anyway, if not Blue Lake, I may try and do an Oregon delivery run depending on who needs what.

As of right now the things in the process of selling are:

Seat belts on blue car, front crossmember, possible engine wiring harness.

Possible dash on yellow car, possible engine wiring harness.

That's all I can remember at the moment, I'm sure there are some other things.

regy1.jpg

My bodyman and fellow Datsun enthusiast. He came over to show me how to get the drip rails off before the roof cut.

510kill1.jpg

510kill2.jpg

510kill3.jpg

• Like 1

Lol! Yeah, I was going to use the torch to do the body cuts, just like old times, but thought a cold cut would be better! :D (little joke there, remind wildman to tell it at next Canby)

So I think I'm going to save the entire core support and a-pillar cut of the blue 510. Surprisingly the fenders are rusted out to beat hell, but the core support and inner fenders are relatively okay. The bottom of the floor pan is gone, but I'll leave that on the cut just so someone could use the entire front half. This is assuming I don't find worse when I'm cutting through it.

• Like 1

Okay, and here we go. A roof cut barely fits down the basement stairs, and is really a pain in the ass to carry with one person. Also found some rust on the underside of the roof after I yanked off the headliner. I'll probably spray some rust converter on that to stop it for the time being. Can't see it on the top, barely surface rust.

510kill4.jpg

510kill5.jpg

510kill6.jpg

510kill7.jpg

By the way, Regy checked and he does have a good rear quarter for me down at the farm, so if someone does want to save the yellow 510, let me know. No motor or trans, shit hood, rocker and front floor pan rust, but everything else is there. I will be yanking the decklid, but can provide a decklid with it. Just not nearly as nice.

• Like 1

Frame rail is part of the rust, sadly. It starts about at the gas pedal and surrounds that area. And who's giving me negative rep? WTF batman? I'm saving as much of this rust bucket as I can, would it be better if I took the entire shell to scrap?

The thread is probably going to be moved to parts for sale since it's kinda salish.

• Like 3

Yello and I were just talking about that. Due to the lack of planning and it being next weekend, it's probably not going to happen. Depends on what days I have off, and if I can get a few other people to go with/chip in for gas. It's $120 round trip, which means I'd have to sell a lot to make it worthwhile. There is a plan for if wildman and cory's guy who wants to buy a motor has money, then we would all drive over to Seattle then down to Portland, but that's in the wind at the moment, and I still don't know what this next week's schedule is because the boss was gone today.

So right now I'm going to say no, I'm not going to be at Blue Lake. If it changes, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Well hmmmm... Is there anyway you could create some sort of catapult and launch the parts to oregon? I need headlghts/ head light buckets/ complete door lock and ignition setup/ tail lights/ side markers/ and liscence plate lights. :)

Those parts wouldn't be too hard to ship, however the tails aren't very good, I think only a pair of decent ones between the two, side markers are different, not sure how good they are, license plate lights I'm yanking at this very moment because I need the back panel on the 69 for my 510. Headlights and buckets I think are there.

I am debating saving the yellow 510 at current. May try to trade to my bodyman in exchange for his good quarter on his parts car at the farm, and the whole 510 to cover labor of putting it in. Have to wait to hear back from him as it's harvest and there are very few times he's within cell reception.

And who's giving me negative rep? WTF batman? I'm saving as much of this rust bucket as I can, would it be better if I took the entire shell to scrap?

The neg giver neutralized it with two pos reps so you're good.

Actually, that was Bill, I was whining about it to him. ;) And we conversed about how many 510s have been cut up and scrapped in Spalding's history. There was a time when 510s were throw away cars, kind of like mid-90s Miatas are now. Not saying they aren't cool and fun, but there are a lot and most people abuse the shit out of them or race them. The few who don't will have them far into the future. But they've continued making Miatas, so it's not quite the same thing. Point being, it's not the end of the world if a 510 gets cut up. Sad, yes, but that makes yours that much more valuable.

I'd like to know what happened to that guy in Cali who was supposed to be making reproduction bodies of 2 door 510s, I almost think there was some talk of a carbon fiber option too. I dunno. I imagine he came to realize that almost no one would pay what it would cost to get the tooling to make a brand new 510 shell.

coming in late but just for reference 68 tail lights are shorter no rear markers no licence plate lights in the rear panel they are in the bumper most noticeable is wipers go from outside in on both ( SUICIDE) and the dash heater controls are side to side not vertical also dash has a spot in the center that recesses a little hope this helps for the next time Randy

Actually, that was Bill, I was whining about it to him. ;) And we conversed about how many 510s have been cut up and scrapped in Spalding's history. There was a time when 510s were throw away cars, kind of like mid-90s Miatas are now. Not saying they aren't cool and fun, but there are a lot and most people abuse the shit out of them or race them. The few who don't will have them far into the future. But they've continued making Miatas, so it's not quite the same thing. Point being, it's not the end of the world if a 510 gets cut up. Sad, yes, but that makes yours that much more valuable.

I'd like to know what happened to that guy in Cali who was supposed to be making reproduction bodies of 2 door 510s, I almost think there was some talk of a carbon fiber option too. I dunno. I imagine he came to realize that almost no one would pay what it would cost to get the tooling to make a brand new 510 shell.

To bad someone couldn't get ahold of the shit from factory, eh?

coming in late but just for reference 68 tail lights are shorter no rear markers no licence plate lights in the rear panel they are in the bumper most noticeable is wipers go from outside in on both ( SUICIDE) and the dash heater controls are side to side not vertical also dash has a spot in the center that recesses a little hope this helps for the next time Randy

I saw your dime at canby, very nice car man.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.