BOTH GONE, NO MORE PARTS.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah hah, good call. Still has early dash though. I'm not a buff on the differences between. It is number 66000 or something from the VIN. I think the last 510 I cut up was a 69000 or something.

And now because I'm post whoring in the afternoon on my Sunday (odd days off) here are MOAR OICS! :)

new510s8.jpg

new510s9.jpg

new510s10.jpg

new510s11.jpg

new510s12.jpg

new510s13.jpg

new510s14.jpg

new510s15.jpg

new510s16.jpg

new510s17.jpg

new510s18.jpg

new510s19.jpg

new510s20.jpg

Brand new in the box relay with wires. Anyone know what this part is for?

new510s21.jpg

Factory manual for the '69, kinda cool.

new510s22.jpg

Whale tail spoiler, was on the blue car, and front air dam. Whale tail is hella cool, but not sure if it will be put on.

new510s23.jpg

new510s24.jpg

Okay, so the bodyman looked at them and declared the '72 not that bad, but at the same time, the 510 I have now is in much better shape. The patch work required to get the yellow one going would be quite expensive. To sell as a runner would take more than I'll ever get back in selling it. So, sad as it is, I'm going to cut them both up. Fortunately the yellow one has a good rear quarter, which I need. I may take the back panel off the blue one and patch that into my current 510 since my back panel is beat to shit. And I'm going to grab both right doors on the yellow, as mine are also beat to shit.

I may start another thread in the fs section, but basically aside from the parts I need to make my 510 pretty (oh so pretty!) and my bodyman needs in trade for putting in a quarter, everything else is up for grabs. So far I'm keeping the drivetrain, but there will be a stock L16 and 4 speed out of one of the rigs if anyone wants one. The other has a Z22 and 5 speed, so obviously I'm keeping those. :)

That said, pm me if you need a particular section to patch into your 510 and I'll get you some pictures. If enough people needed body cuts in Oregon, hell, I'd load up the truck and drive there, assuming I could make my gas money back. Just a thought. I doubt there are that many people looking for body pieces but you never know. I'd prefer to have local pick-up.

There is one semi-decent windshield with three bullseyes in it, but certainly solid enough to be removed and reinstalled. The other is cracked. I'll be trying to salvage every usable piece from these, including roof cuts.

Yeah, if I needed two, I'd do it, but I already have a money pit, don't need a second. Plus, I'll be achieving the goal of making my 510 look much nicer as a result.

Ooo! More oics! Here's how much of a mouse hotel the '69 510 was:

510mousehouse1.jpg

510mousehouse2.jpg

No stuffing left in the seat at all. Just mouse turds. And one small dead mouse. I really don't want to open my shop vac even to empty it. If I come down sick, make sure someone finds this thread and investigates for haunta virus. :blink:

510z22motoryank1.jpg

510z22motoryank2.jpg

510z22motoryank3.jpg

510z22motoryank4.jpg

510z22motoryank5.jpg

Got the Z22 out of the blue 510 tonight. Took an hour and half or so. Should have dropped it out the bottom, but I needed it to be able to roll and the suspension looked like it was going to be a pain in the ass. Little tight getting it out with both attached. Sling can't quite tip it enough.

Yeah, I probably could, but not for more than I bought them for. :) They're a lot worse off than they look. The '69 is a basket case, major rust. The '72 has less, but is more usable in parts to make mine pretty. Hate to do it, but field cars just rust and these have been abused. Don't worry, I'm salvaging everything. I'll probably even keep the roof cuts downstairs or something. Haven't figured if they'll fit down the stairwell.

But Izzo, if you want, I'll sell you the '72 as a non-runner rolling chassis for only $800! ;)

I love the enthusiasm! :) Mick has had these cars for sale for the past two years and no one bought them. Yes, there are less rusty examples that have been put on the road. My bodyman's dad's car was worse. However, no one in their right mind is going to pay anywhere near $800 for a non-running rolling chassis. These cars haven't been driven in ten years. Fuel tank rubber is all shot and cracked apart, fuel lines probably filled with rust/mouse crap, brakes non-existent, no fluid in reservoirs, electrical dubious. Rusted through in floor pan, rockers gone.

To make this car run again would be starting over with a new project car. Which means I'll have a substantial amount of work/time/materials into it. And in the end, what do I have? A running $1000 510, maybe. But I'll have to spend easily twice that amount in work/time/materials to do it right. What's the point of driving a rust-bucket 510 around? I thought about it, honestly, using it as a winter beater. All that does it prolong it's inevitable rusty death.

Consider aside from the banged-up rear quarter on my current 510, that car was mainly rust-free, and it ran, and I only paid $350 for it. Fast forward 4 years later, I've dumped about $5000 into it. And I still have a 510 that most would consider a $500-$1000 510. If I found the right buyer who appreciated all the work I've done, maybe $1500.

But, I won't cut up the '72 if someone seriously wants to take on the project of restoring it. That said, I need $800 for it to absolve my cost and the price of a rear quarter to patch into my car. It doesn't run, has no brakes, and has a stock L16 with a 5 speed. You find me a buyer, and I'll be very surprised. Dollars and sense. I hate to cut it up too, I really do, but at some point you have to look at the facts, not the emotion.

• Like 1

I love the enthusiasm! :) Mick has had these cars for sale for the past two years and no one bought them. Yes, there are less rusty examples that have been put on the road. My bodyman's dad's car was worse. However, no one in their right mind is going to pay anywhere near $800 for a non-running rolling chassis. These cars haven't been driven in ten years. Fuel tank rubber is all shot and cracked apart, fuel lines probably filled with rust/mouse crap, brakes non-existent, no fluid in reservoirs, electrical dubious. Rusted through in floor pan, rockers gone.

To make this car run again would be starting over with a new project car. Which means I'll have a substantial amount of work/time/materials into it. And in the end, what do I have? A running $1000 510, maybe. But I'll have to spend easily twice that amount in work/time/materials to do it right. What's the point of driving a rust-bucket 510 around? I thought about it, honestly, using it as a winter beater. All that does it prolong it's inevitable rusty death.

Consider aside from the banged-up rear quarter on my current 510, that car was mainly rust-free, and it ran, and I only paid $350 for it. Fast forward 4 years later, I've dumped about $5000 into it. And I still have a 510 that most would consider a $500-$1000 510. If I found the right buyer who appreciated all the work I've done, maybe $1500.

But, I won't cut up the '72 if someone seriously wants to take on the project of restoring it. That said, I need $800 for it to absolve my cost and the price of a rear quarter to patch into my car. It doesn't run, has no brakes, and has a stock L16 with a 5 speed. You find me a buyer, and I'll be very surprised. Dollars and sense. I hate to cut it up too, I really do, but at some point you have to look at the facts, not the emotion.

Don't be so sure Matt, just because he had them up for sale, doesn't mean they were up for sale properly. Or on ratsun, the510realm etc. I bought a non running 510 for 1000 dollars (skunks old 510) I had 1560 into it when i sold it for 1600. It did run when it left, but no where near drivable.

From your arm chair they may look like two 510s being removed from the road but sometimes you have to see that the longer they sit the better the chance they will be hauled away as scrap. Buying them and stripping parts is like organ donating. They don't make any of the stuff that are on these cars any more. Once gone ... It's no longer available to anyone. Cutting up a good one is another story but where do you draw the line? I say salvage what you can and keep other Datsuns ON the road.

5 speed? what 5 speed???

Thanks Mike, that's what I'm thinking. I truly did consider keeping the '72 as a driver, but it would literally be a full ground up resto and I just don't have the kind of cashflow. It sucks because it's right at that halfway point. It's almost good enough to be saved, the doors open and shut perfectly, yet the chassis has already seen time gnawing away at it. Looks great on the outside, but underneath is the problem. And besides, I'll be selling/giving away parts of both of them, which should make all our 510s nicer, and in that way, they do live on, just like organ donating.

And did I mention these both REEEK of mouseshit/death? Fuck me, I sprayed them out, didn't seem to do the trick.

That would be an asian tranny dogleg 5 speed if I remember right Mike! I would go and find out, but I just opened all the windows letting them air out again. Stinky.

I have a feeling the Z22 will be the new bottom end for my 510. Extra stroke (assuming motor is good when I tear it down) will be welcome, and extra compression with the new manifold should be much better. We shall see. It depends on what I find on the 2 liter when I yank it apart as well.

Oh, and my Datsun guru Joe told me some time ago about the worst handling 510 he had ever drove. :) He has stories about that car and how it just wasn't right. Then I told him I bought it and that set him off again, but I told him that one wouldn't be a runner. That was the '69. Yanking the motor last night, I can see why. Massive rust, only two bolts holding the tranny crossmember in. Wasn't constructed with the best care. Funny thing was the Z22 fast motor was in that one.

We were coming down Ash yesterday afternoon, so I swung around and took a quick look (from the street, no way in hell I'd get near your yard. I'm sure you have trip wires or a mine field or something in there). Yeah, my thought was "The yellow one doesn't look bad. Someone should save it!" But the reality is, no one is going to drive to Spokane and trailer it home. You could put it up on CL, answer a bunch of phone calls from guys who want to come look (and don't show), and in the end it would still be sitting in your yard. I hope someone proves me wrong. It would be cool if you could sell it for more than you paid, and have more $$ for your quarter panel repair. Everybody happy! If you should find a buyer, Rod said he has quarter panel that is usable, but Reg maybe know it has problems. Don't have any idea what price he might have in mind, but I do know it is 50 miles from you, while the yellow car quarter is 25 feet away.

Len

From your arm chair they may look like two 510s being removed from the road but sometimes you have to see that the longer they sit the better the chance they will be hauled away as scrap. Buying them and stripping parts is like organ donating. They don't make any of the stuff that are on these cars any more. Once gone ... It's no longer available to anyone. Cutting up a good one is another story but where do you draw the line? I say salvage what you can and keep other Datsuns ON the road.

5 speed? what 5 speed???

I totally agree,if you have the time and money almost anything can be saved,but to what end donor parts in this case seems like the right move.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.