78 620 vacuum problems, i think.

Rusty Biscayne

just finished building my 78 620 and put in a fresh L20b. It came together rather easily but now its time to make it go down the road and I've been pulling my hair out for a week. even trying to sell it on here but i really want to keep it and love it so i made my price too high. ANYWAY here is what is doing:

stock hitachi carb is clean and not leaking or anything, i assume its good and does not need rebuilt.

starts and idles,but when i put it in gear and try to move it just dies immediately.

the old engine was a 78 L20b with all the smog stuff all over it.

new engine is an earlier one with no smog stuff

put on my HEI dizzy from the 78

used the 78 wiring harness and i have several plugs with nothing to plug to.

there are vacuum hoses all over the place, and i do NOT know where they go!

I am new to Datsuns if you couldn't already tell and i do not have a manual. I have been moving these hoses around and adjusting the air/fuel screw and the idle adjustment screw on the carb with all the wrong results. Borrowed a timing light and set the dizzy at 10 degrees and this engine now idles perfectly...(right like I know what perfect is) ...just won't GO!

I can't find the right diagram for the vacuum hose routing anywhere online and trial and error is driving me nuts.

Please take pity on this poor, poor newbie who just wants to love his Datsun! there are 44 pictures of the truck being built over in the for sale forum, but none of them show my hoses going to the wrong places. tomorrow when it is daylight i will go out and take some photos of how bad im screwing this up.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic