ford 4.0 L engine in a 521?

dirtydiesel

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Cologne 3.0. They are nice reliable engines but overweight. The 4.0 is the largest of the lot and so has an acceptable power/weight ratio.

But they don't fit in Datsuns very well. The 5.0 V8 apparently fits every bit as well, although that weighs 140 pounds more...

My sister's boy friend has a ranger with a 4L in it. Its 4wd, lifted, and has 40" super swampers on it. I'm surprised that it can even get rolling but it seem to do pretty well. Its a 5 speed truck and with the big tires he has to run in 3rd gear on the highway. The 4.0 seems to be a good motor but if you are going to do the work on fitting it into a 521, might a well put a V8 in it. (just my thought)

I've always liked big motors in small trucks. I build a V8 S-10 back 7-8 years ago. I used a 350 4 bolt main TBI truck engine. After 5 automatic transmissions, I swapped in a 5 speed. I still have the truck, just waiting for me to bump the key and run it down the strip again.

in the last 8 years of owning two expolders i have only had auto matic tras and water pump issues. minus what happened to my last explorer. when it drop 3 valves. and all the coolant went down the exhuast. other than that i havent really had any complaints. it gets decent milage for a 6 cyl.

My Daily driver is a 1996 Ford Aerostar, with the 4.0 liter engine. I too have though about the possibility of fitting one into a 521.

It would be easier to change the headgaskets in it in the 521, than it is to do it in the Aerostar.

We had a member here that had a explorer 4.0 with a 5spd in a 79 620. He has since scrapped the truck though.

I did get to ride in it first though. Freaking scarry. Didnt matter how fast we were going, it would roast the tires if you downshifted. He scrapped it cause he got tired of fixing broken datsun parts from the power. But he also drove it like he stole, everywere he went.

It did fit reasonably well in the truck though. No hood cutting, but i think that he had to cut the trans tunnel a bit, and the radiator was a struggle for some reason, but i dont know the details of that issue.

from what i hear from you guys is... wouldnt be too bad of an idea. but its too heavy and or doesnt fit very well. i guess ill do some more research. on engines cuz i dont really think my stock motor is up to the task of living another coupl years even after a rebuild.

A carbed 4.0 with headers will tuck in a small space it not realy that big, grab the rear end while your at it, do what you have to to get it back as far as you can, or ka, ca, sa , vg, vq napz lz, vortec that thing. Ive ben looking for a chart of comparison weights but its hard to get it all compiled I guess.

A carbed 4.0 with headers will tuck in a small space it not realy that big, grab the rear end while your at it, do what you have to to get it back as far as you can, or ka, ca, sa , vg, vq napz lz, vortec that thing. Ive ben looking for a chart of comparison weights but its hard to get it all compiled I guess.

i have pondered alot about engines. its mostly about keeping things they way they are and not having to modify alot. i dont have the shop space that i had 3 months ago. i had to move back into my garage. so now im back to doin my projects in my yard which my neighbors and city of everett doesnt fancy too much. i cant stay up till 3 am workin on my truck cuz my neighbors will call the cops about the noise. it sux.

My dads 2.8 s10 was shit 3 blown motors in 10 years :(

Never heard anything good about them. Asked several yards and they all said the bottom end bearings always go bad.

why not try a buick 3800 sc, best v6 ever

Have to agree. I think GM produced something like 27,000,000 of them over the years.