73 620 major issues

kaua'i datto

I recently bought a 73 620 with a naps-z22 and 5speed tranny and its currently not running because part of the engine harness is fried and the rest of it looks pretty chopped and I was wondering how to put pics up on here because we all know a picture is worth a thousand words so any help is very appreciated

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me... Id be looking for a 73 620 harness, the harnesses had minor changes just about every year but they are enough to make swapping them from year to year a pain in the ass. You could probably fix that but youll never know where all the shorts are unless you rebuild the ENTIRE harness... It is doable but VERY labor intensive.

Check under the dash to see if there are any more creative electrical fixes.

Theres schematics and factory service manuals on olddatsunpickuplovers.com (check the link in the FAQ, its a sticky near the top of the page under general discussion)

Also, your alternator most likely didnt cause that problem... whoever wired the alternator (and/or the fuel pump?) did. If you search here and the web there are many references on how to wire in a GM alternator. Have that alternator tested at an auto electric shop before you reinstall it. Once you get the harness straightened out Id use a relay on the electric fuel pump just for peace of mind.

I feel your pain,bro.

I had to go through not one,but two 73 620 harnesses.Mine were bone stock too. You've got an engine swap to deal with.

If you can't find a replacement (good luck),carefully unplug the harness and using your trusty fsm, go through and find all the connectors with the proper wire colors and label them. replace what needs to be replaced. Get a good VOM too.

Like they said the harnesses changed over the years.

Oh yeah,get under the dash too. The gremlins have probably been there too.

• 2 weeks later...

The wires that are burnt, which parts do they go to?

Yes the alternator won't cause that problem. We fit larger alternators all the time.

That looks like a high-pressure EFI fuel pump, but it has a Weber carburetor? That's overkill and so it requires a pressure regulator. Not so great, but it can work.

A lot of guys put electric fuel pump under the hood, it's OK. It needs its own separate wiring and fuse, don't connect it through the 620 harness. Better yet, if the stock fuel pump is still in the engine, remove the electric pump and use the stock one. Datsun fuel pump is plenty for a Weber.