Thinkin a V-6

double j

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?? A straight 6 in a 520?? :blink: Might as well just get rid of the firewall all together and have the back half of the engine sittin in the cab.

There is a thread or two on here about V8s in 521s. Check out the Kari Kari thread. Badass v8 in a 521

Oh yea, Good luck ;)

This has been covered here before. The in line six is 2 cylinders longer so it won't 'drop in' without cutting the firewall and/or rad support. Trimming the front cross frame support, possibly mounting the rad in the back. If cutting the firewall there won't be room for the heater. The tranny will not handle the 6, for long and the drive shaft will need shortening. The 6 is heavy, there are much lighter motors making as much power like the KA and it's a well documented swap. I say this because this (6 cly) is a difficult swap and there is an increased chance of failure. By failure I mean the truck gets cut up and cannot be put back to stock when the problems become too big for the builder. The rare 520 ends up parted out and/or scrapped. I would spare you this choice.

This would leave a VG30 V6? Difficult but a better chance of finishing and at the worst you could switch to a 4 cylinder later.

If V8 something small and light. Aluminum would be best.

Any upgrade should include brakes and suspension too.

That particular truck is fairly rare. Be a shame to cut it up. If the goal is an under 10 sec. ride, and to not have to cut it up, I would slap in a built up turbo rotary. Might even be able to use a non turbo bridgeport, but I don't feel they are very streetable if that is something you also plan to do. If you are dead set on a V6/8, sell or trade off that truck for a more common 521 to modify.

Mark

It won't be easy to install a VG30, look at this thread, he has done it to a early 620, basicly the same frame, but with a bigger engine compartment lengthwise like the 521.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/15744-620-vg-conversion/page__view__findpost__p__343552__hl__yello620__fromsearch__1

This guy knows a LOT about this engine, and what can be put on it from other vehicles with the same engine with differant made/shaped/built parts such as the starter, several differant starters were made for this engine, clocked at differant angles, ect. Same with the exhaust manifolds and totally differant shaped intake manifolds depending on application. I just went out and remeasured my 66 520 truck, I beleave it would be possible if the stock fan and all the unused pullies were to be removed, that would make it approximately 22", the L20b is 23 1/2". I have not looked into the exhaust yet though. Mine has been set up for a L20b, I have had it in there, so thats the way I am going with my 520, as I already have the engine for it.

That particular truck is fairly rare. Be a shame to cut it up. If the goal is an under 10 sec. ride, and to not have to cut it up, I would slap in a built up turbo rotary. Might even be able to use a non turbo bridgeport, but I don't feel they are very streetable if that is something you also plan to do. If you are dead set on a V6/8, sell or trade off that truck for a more common 521 to modify.

Mark

It takes alot of work to get a non turbo rotory into the 10 second mark, it would be fun though.

How much shorter is the engine compartment on the 520 as compared to the 521? They fit small-block Chevys in the 521.

Buick 3.8 may be the go. They fit into smaller Datsuns than the 520.

It's 2 1/2" shorter than the 521, that's a lot when it is a tight fit in the early 620, which is basicly the same engine compartment as the late 521. I beleave that I could strip down the front of the VG30 to the point where it is 22", the L20b I had in the 4X4 520 I didn't like the look of was 24", I had about an inch before the stock L20b fan hit the radiator and less than a half inch between the firewall and the valve cover, and that was with the lip below the vin. plate removed, and I was using a 521 radiator, it might fit(VG30), but I would/will do it to a 521 where there is some room to play with. The VG30 I have is 25" with the stock fan.

As Wayno said, a four cylinder L, or LZ series will fit with a small amount of modifications....a thinner radiator, eliminating extra pulleys, etc.... I put an LZ20 and dogleg in mine, and it ran really nice. It is a tight fit though.

The Buick V-6 needs to be set back approximately 3 inches for starter/front crossmember clearance, and still takes up all avaialble room. I did the swap once, and would not do it again....just too much butchery. A 60 degree Chevy V6 might work a lot better, and be very peppy. If you insist on using a V8, and want to get into the 10's at the track, then you may as well spend the bucks building a fiberglass body and a full tube framed drag chassis, because the stock stuff just will not work. As to the inline 6 cylinder....it will fit in the bed, just make sure you block it so it will not fall over, and use good ratchet straps to hold it down.

That being said, mklotz and I have pondered putting a Toronado big block front wheel drive unit in the bed of a 520/521....much fabrication would be required....however....

i have 2 521's with engine swaps...my race truck is a chevy V8 with firewall extremely moved back...like driving a gokart with no leg room...

i bought a buick V6 521 swap and they left the firewall alone for the mostpart, the drainplug is right overtop of the lower crossmember, starter is trapped and cant get out...but good room for cooling fan and pulleys....i agree with others here, get a more parts available truck like 620!!!...but if you stuck on 520 good luck and if you need pics or help, let me know???

Thanks to all for the posts. I have come to realize how rare this truck is and finding another may be a better option for the 10 sec. 1/4. That said, I have pulled the rear hubs for a brake job and started on rebuild for the carb. Finding parts for this girl is tough! There seems to be a few compatible items between the 411 and the 520. Mine has a Nikki carb vs. the Hitachi that all the parts dealers think it should have. My VIN plate does not match the vehicle as far as I can tell. The engine ID is diff at least, so I am not sure exactly what I dealing with here.

NewTruck038.jpg

The ID plate looks right for a '66 520. Since you have the 2-headlight version vs the later 4-headlight version (67-68) I doubt it's wrong. Most of the time the engines have been changed- very few Datsuns out there with original engines anymore.

The Nikki carb was correct for the 520. Only very late 520s (basically '68s only) had the Hitachi. Best to replace the carb, as Nikkis are next to impossible to find rebuild kits for. Finding a suitable replacement that's both small enough in volume AND doesn't hit the valve cover is an issue, though I've seen Webers on a J-series.

The ID plate looks right for a '66 520. Since you have the 2-headlight version vs the later 4-headlight version (67-68) I doubt it's wrong. Most of the time the engines have been changed- very few Datsuns out there with original engines anymore.

The Nikki carb was correct for the 520. Only very late 520s (basically '68s only) had the Hitachi. Best to replace the carb, as Nikkis are next to impossible to find rebuild kits for. Finding a suitable replacement that's both small enough in volume AND doesn't hit the valve cover is an issue, though I've seen Webers on a J-series.

Good to know that my original engine truck is rare. My engine numbers match and it still runs like a champ. Mine is a '68 and it still has the Nikki. I did find an NOS kit for it. I believe there is one on Ebay right now. Goshen, IN if I remember right. I don't think it comes with a float though.

Good to know that my original engine truck is rare. My engine numbers match and it still runs like a champ. Mine is a '68 and it still has the Nikki. I did find an NOS kit for it. I believe there is one on Ebay right now. Goshen, IN if I remember right. I don't think it comes with a float though.

I found a Nikki rebuild gasket kit basically on e-bay from gws-rareparts store. plenty more good NOS on that store.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...