mpg on 4x4

ronnny

Looking at a 4x4. I have found a deal on one. What king of mpg do you get on one. Same 4 cyl. 5 speed as in the 2 whel drive models. Just don't know what the 4x4s get. I got around town in 2 different 2bys between 24 and 28. Just let me know and if you got larger than normal or other stuff to make the mpg go down. Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17.5 is not bad. going to look at a regular cab in just a minute 400 bucks been setting for 2 years cause of carb problems. I can deal with 17. if not getting the like in a 2by for 600 that in ones i had in the past got 24 plus around town.

I've got an 86 2X4 and a freshly rebuilt carb. I was getting 22mpg around town before the rebuild, but I don't use 5th gear (being from South Carolina - it's got a tooth missing LOL!).

I hope mpg will improve with my fresh carb. With the price of gas, you can justify a new Weber if it gets better than 25 mpg.

• Like 1

Mileage can be improved by squeezing the gas peddle slowly to accelerate. Driving styles vary widely. Anticipate stops and slow down before hand. Avoid the use of brakes... remember that the speed you are going was at the cost of gas you paid for. Using the brake just throws it (gas=money) out the window. Try to keep a steady light throttle even if the acceleration is lower and avoid lifting off and on the throttle. Frictional losses stay about the same so most gas energy is used to push the vehicle through the air resistance. It doesn't take twice as much gas to double your speed... it takes 4 times as much!!! Lowering your speed to the limit saves big time. Empty your trunk, each pound of useless weight has to be accelerated to speed with... gas=money. Rolling resistance increases with tire width and the lower the air pressure.

I am on my 3rd 720 and my first 4x4. The first i had was a 81kc with a weber that is going on my first 4x4 but it got about 28 around town and low 30's maybe 33 on the interstate. My 2nd was an 84 or 85 and it was stock. I only got 24-25 around town and never got it out on the interstate. If you are not getting mid20's i would think something to be wrong.

• 2 months later...

I have been driving my 4x4 for a bit now. I do not use 5th gear because of the noise issue with it that i have found out lots of others have. all i do is around town back and forth to work. I am getting 19-20 mpg so far. I am using a weber off the first 720 i ever had and running 28.5" tall tires. I have not been taing it easy on the truck niether. After a few more tanks of gas to make sure all the bad gas is out i will change the filter again and the plugs. I might be on the high side of 20mpg then.

I have been driving my 4x4 for a bit now. I do not use 5th gear because of the noise issue with it that i have found out lots of others have. all i do is around town back and forth to work. I am getting 19-20 mpg so far. I am using a weber off the first 720 i ever had and running 28.5" tall tires. I have not been taing it easy on the truck niether. After a few more tanks of gas to make sure all the bad gas is out i will change the filter again and the plugs. I might be on the high side of 20mpg then.

Alas~ the down side of early Datsun divorced transfer cases, the offset outputs! Driving through the X-case can eat 10-20% in frictional losses (depending on wear), as opposed to straight-thru designs.....

Alas~ the down side of early Datsun divorced transfer cases, the offset outputs! Driving through the X-case can eat 10-20% in frictional losses (depending on wear), as opposed to straight-thru designs.....

With all brands 4x4 get a little to a lot less. And in my opinion this 720 although a first try by nissan/datsun in the factory 4x4 is a good truck. And having 2 2x4s This is a lot less of a drop than in any other brand. Show me a yota (pickup) that can get 20 mpg! I have not had that luck and the 22r is a 2.4 liter all the same. Maybe it was just me because a guy at work is close to that in his. And chevy and ford were a lot of a drop also. I thought that just when you went through any gears even if it were straight through a set of planitary gears like in a 208 or 241 case you still lost a percentage of your power. Like a turbo 400 uses more than a 350 turbo chevy tranny because bigger and heavier parts.