How To: Make Coffee

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I'm roasting in a popcorn popper. I now have a Whirly Pop (the gears hold up better than the first one I had) with a thermometer. Air poppers work too I've read.

And now I'm brewing with a pour over, much easier clean up than the french press. I've also started trying coffee in a Moka Pot, as a real espresso machine costs too much.

I don't see the point in spending the money on a fancy roaster. Although I've never used one. I did like roasting on the commercial roasters but those are way out of my price range. And I completely agree on the grinder, unfortunatly, I just have a crappy Mr Coffee grinder.

I wish I could grow coffee here, the NW is't the right climate though. But I've got hops and I'm fine with that.

My wife bugged me for a Tassimo (whatever) for X Mass. I said no, my press makes good coffee. Damn thing has a bar code to set the proper brewing.  Someone got her one and yup it's too thin and pissy. Plus the cost of those stupid 'coffee discs' what? 6-8 bux for 14 cups. Screw that. I told her one day you'll run out and beg me to drive into town at 6:30 on a week day, well forget it right now. I took one of the little plastic discs apart but fucked up the bar code on it. Toying with the idea of refilling one but no way it will hold enough.

preety sure you can buy a drop in refillable basket cup for it... you can for kuerig.

Drive to the window at the coffee shop and order

There is that but hard to find good coffee at drive thoroughs. 'Course if you don't give a shit about your coffee then that's fine.  McDees used to have the worst muck ever made. I used to rate all bad coffee against them as the industry standard for bad coffee. It's better lately and I can drink it if someone buys. The local Horny Tim's is .... ok (very predictable) So that leaves the local bakery 6 miles up hill in the nest town and not a drive through. I discovered it (the coffee) by accident while taking an alternate route home. I find most coffee either burnt tasting acid bitter or just piss thin. Christ, just put two more scoops of coffee in the pot and people would drive across town for it, ... but no.   

Now I like coffee. I like coffee that doesn't come from a drive through but not from  a chemistry set either. I draw the line at baking beans and grinding them. Fuck drip coffee makers. So that leaves a press and that where I have got to so far.

Guest Rick-rat

I only go to small independent coffee places, don't care for any of the big chain places, there are tons of shops to choose from in this area.( 16 within 3 miles) Just have to try them until you find one you like

Guest 510kamikazifreak
Like Starbucks??? Fuck Starbucks.... I've never had a good cup of Joe there. Overpriced and I'm left underwhelmed.

:rofl: :rofl:

No

Like Dear(as in my wife) :rofl:

Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is pretty damned good.

I'm not even a coffee drinker but at the last restaurant I worked at I drank a few black cups of jamaican blue mountain expresso every day.

About 20 years ago Trader Joe's imported some genuine Mocha Saana coffee from Yemen.  Best ever!  Unfortunately in the intervening years there was a civil war between Yemen and Aden leading to a "united" Yemen [whose citizens are still trying to exterminate each other] after exchanging SCUD missile and other more conventional weapon blasts.  Bottom line, most coffee plantations [to be kind] burned out.  Owner has a choice, replant coffee and wait 20 years for a primo crop or plant Frankincense [yes that Frankincense from the Gospel acording to Saint Luke] and start earning money to support his 4 wives and 30 children.  Guess what choice was made.  Saudi Arabian beards now smell as sweet as ever. It was really good coffee while it lasted, Ethiopian Mocha doesn't taste anywhere near as good.

• 5 months later...