How To: Make Coffee

I choose Ethiopia Yirgacheffe, but you can use any coffee you'd like.

First, gather your green beans. I just used roughly half a pound. Pre heat your roaster to 425-475, I just turned the stove to medium.

a76e3062.jpg

1679d88f.jpg

Once the roaster is hot, add the beans and keep them moving. The beans will begin to get darker and your house will begin to smell awesomer.

e9d8d004.jpg

797bf01c.jpg

8b182c03.jpg

Eventually the beans will begin to crack, this is the first crack. Beans have two cracks, the second happens, I think, after french roast level. So really fucking dark.

About when the beans finish cracking or when the cracking slows, your will want to cool your beans quickly. Dump the beans into a metal colander and keep air flowing around them by shaking or swirling. The chaff (lighter outer part of the bean) will raise to the top. I did it out side so I just let the chaff blow away. The beans will continue to roast, from internal heat, so cool quickly.

84194123.jpg

ce3b8b8c.jpg

The fresh roasted coffee will be best if used within 24 hours, but will still taste great if used within a few days. Grind, brew (French press, duh), and enjoy.

5f52c5fb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the beans from a roaster in town. Caravan Coffee, they're right down the street from me. Don't know if you can get them online or not. There are plenty of online companies. I used to work for a coffee roasters and I would have access to around 30 different types of green beans, organic, shade grown, fair-trade, rare. The company bought at auction, a very rare entire crop, they were the only place in the world to have those beans. I didn't "get" any but wish I would have.

This only took about 15 minutes, I was used to working on 500lb roasts, and roasting for an hour or more. I have to admit, this wasn't as fun but the pay off is just as good. And I didn't have to haul four 120lb burlap sacks around.

More than I would do but I understand your sickness. :lol: I used to know a fellow that waxed the under side of his Camaro, same thing really. :huh:

This spring I was walking around the neighborhood and got this tremendous urge to have a coffee. A couple of weeks later I was working on a lot one block over from my home and two houses up is a small home business that roasts coffee and bags it for sale in local stores... yup they were roasting beans and the whole neighborhood smelled great. It's through my back yard and a few hundred feet away.

Best coffee beans I ever bought were genuine Mocha Saana from Yemen. Sold 20 years ago by the "Trader Joe" chain in whole roasted bean Nitrogen flushed cans. Occasionally Trader Joe sells whole Mocha from Ethiopia, good but not as great as the Yemeni grown stuff, or blended Ethiopean Mocha and Jave from Indonesia [naturally]. Civil war in Yemen destroyed most of the coffee growing region's crops. Farmers had a choice. Replant coffee and wait 20 years for a properly excellent crop or plant Frankincense shrubs and start selling for incense next year. You know what choice the hungry family dictated!

• 8 months later...

guys i had such a good laugh at some of the methods above.

@datside ,u make a mean cup of coffee. I grew up in with old skull style coffee. my mom has a coffee pot thats older than my 36years.ive mended that pot a few time lolbut its an old metal pot for the stove/fire. wich has a material bag in it that holds the koffe powder. we use an old south african brand called KOFFEEHUIS.(coffee house). so as usual we alterd the making of the coffee to make it easier or more modern lol. so first u boil water in a kettel as normal, then put the "bag"in the koffee potthrow in 3 heaps of coffee(depending on how much mugs of coffee needed) then pour water into the coffee pot and put the pot on the stove to keep it boiling hot.this makes for a strong potion cause the coffee is litrelly submerged in the water and being boiled in there again. this is so potent it stains my fingers brown. this is a real wake up call not just from sleap but gets the bowls in motion too hahhaha.

the next method i concocted was when i was working in IT and i made percolted coffee fo rmy team cause i got in first and i hated there crap they called coffee. i would buy my moms brand koffeehuis and mix it with some moca java.these arent extravegant expensive brands but sure makes a good cupa in the morning. BUT since we had a percolater i would put in a new filter and add 5 massive spoons of coffee but i had a bent teaspoon i kept in the coffee that i used to compact(i use to be in construction )and literally press down"compact" the coffee.this makes that the water will sit in the koffee longer cause it will take longer for the water to pass thru the coffee. yes ull have to wait a little wile longer for the coffee to percolate but man it does make for a great cup of coffee. sometimes id even put the finished percolated coffee thru the percolator again to get an even stronger cuppa.

thats how i make mine !lol

• Like 1

You're way ahead of me here. About all I can say is I love drinking it and can't understand why restaurants and w/e make it so weak... damn for a couple more scoops it would be fine. There's no excuse for poor coffee.

I had a beautiful chrome and glass French Press (I accidentally bumped it off the counter and broke it last week) that has sat on our kitchen window sill for a dozen years and have no idea where it came from. (full of dead flies and cobwebs) So I was reading this coffee snob article about how they were the only way to make drinkable coffee, and seeing as how our drip is acting up I tried it. Took weeks to get the amount just right but it's well worth the bother of cleaning it out and although it only made one cup (my wife and I share it) the half pot of so-so drip doesn't go to waste now. So now I have the 3 or 4 cup press I got at WallMart that I hate. Well it's actually easier to clean and presses easier and cleaner, it's the putrid red plastic that really bugs me. We still only make one cup, why mess with the recipe?

Freshly home-roasted is a nice treat, but don't forget that doing a good job on roasting it is one thing, but doing a shit job of grinding it is counterproductive! I am only a low-level coffee enthusiast, but do enjoy going to the effort of making a decent cup now and then.

I have a IMEX CR-100 roaster. It can be a bit a bit finicky, but it does a very good job.

http://www.rfpcb.com...ee/IMG_1622.JPG

http://www.rfpcb.com...ee/IMG_1623.JPG

http://www.rfpcb.com...ee/IMG_1624.JPG

I have a Breville burr mill. That makes a huge difference/improvement in consistency with ANY coffee you drink, whether it is home-roasted or pre-roasted.

http://www.rfpcb.com...ee/IMG_1625.JPG

http://www.rfpcb.com...ee/IMG_1627.JPG

All this coffee talk makes me thirsty for a nice fresh cup.

• 4 months later...

I took the coffee thing a step further and grew my beans. Took a few years to make a cup of coffee. But boy was it worth it! No, actually it wasn't. My friend down the road with a real coffee farm kicked my coffees ass. And he sells me coffee roasted the night before. Organic, fresh roasted, and better than anything from the other side of the island ( Kona).

• 4 months later...

My wife bugged me for a Tassimo (whatever) for X Mass. I said no, my press makes good coffee. Damn thing has a bar code to set the proper brewing.  Someone got her one and yup it's too thin and pissy. Plus the cost of those stupid 'coffee discs' what? 6-8 bux for 14 cups. Screw that. I told her one day you'll run out and beg me to drive into town at 6:30 on a week day, well forget it right now. I took one of the little plastic discs apart but fucked up the bar code on it. Toying with the idea of refilling one but no way it will hold enough.