drum brake upgrade question

Suspect

I have a 73 620 and the brake wheel cylinder is a single piston setup. I was thinking the other day it would stop better if the the wheel cylinder pusehd both ways. Does a newer nissan with rear drums have dual piston brake wheel cylinders? If so I was thinking abut using the backing plates and all the brake components on the front of my 620.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't make any difference. The single piston design is good ... just make sure the parts are not rusty, if not clean and lightly lube them.

To make it stop better, you only need to carefully adjust the brakes. All-drum 620 will stop as fast as the later disc-drum. If you want to upgrade, fit larger brakes as a custom upgrade.

All-drum 620 will stop as fast as the later disc-drum. If you want to upgrade, fit larger brakes as a custom upgrade.

:rofl: :rofl:

This might be true for the crap design 620 calipers, but not if you use the HB stuff.

If you ever see the brake shoe wear on a 620, one brake shoe is wore a lot more than the other. That tellls me that its using about half of its capable brakeing power.

My 620 stops good, better than my other 620 but I'm tired of having to hunt down wheel cylinders or rebuilds. The last time I bought a wheel cylinder and a rebuild, they told me that those were the last ones they could get me.

If you ever see the brake shoe wear on a 620, one brake shoe is wore a lot more than the other. That tellls me that its using about half of its capable brakeing power.

My 620 stops good, better than my other 620 but I'm tired of having to hunt down wheel cylinders or rebuilds. The last time I bought a wheel cylinder and a rebuild, they told me that those were the last ones they could get me.

Then it's time to step up to the plate, and order some disc brake brackets.

That has crossed my mind but I don't want to change this truck that much. Plus I run factory wheels often and with the disk brake conversion, I can't use them anymore.

That has crossed my mind but I don't want to change this truck that much. Plus I run factory wheels often and with the disk brake conversion, I can't use them anymore.

Yes you can.

MKlotz's kit was designed to work under factory 14" wheels.

And how is increasing your reliability and safety too much of a change to testify?

Rockauto has wheel cylinders up the yazoo. Several brands of various quality. I just bought a half dozen fronts.

Only the fronts use the single piston, and I've never had problem with uneven wear. The rears were always dual piston, even back to the 220 pickup. But the way they mount is totally different- the rears use 4 bolts and the fronts use one larger single bolt.

If the shoes get installed backwards that's another issue (it's easy to do) and causes bad uneven wear since the edge on one engages too early and the other only engages the trailing side so does almost nothing. In addition, if the adjuster isn't freely sliding the shoes will wear funny. The single piston pushes the front shoe, which pivots off the adjuster but pushes the adjuster rearward which engages the rear shoe. When the adjuster is not sliding freely only the front shoe gets partially engaged.