Ratsun Pinstripers Unite!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

this thread rules. i've been wanting to try this for ages, have had a brush for years but never got it wet.... well this weekend i will try.

found some free practice patterns HERE i just need some glass. worst case i have some 928 porsche quarter windows. practicing on compound curves is good right? :D

Yes it is. BUT>>>>>

Get a 2ft by 2ft piece of something flat and NON PERMIABLE. does not have to be glass. metal , wood, I have a bunch of acryllic panel from a friend. I've used glossy boxes that dress shirts come in...whatever.

1.Tape off some straight lines; one horizontal and one verticle.

2. Pull 10 lines according to your tape. Focus on weight (thickness of line) and straightness. (no rotatong the panel. The idea is to practice horizontal and vertical lines)

3. Next tape off a 5" wide section and do 10 right hand "c" curves and 10 left hand "c" curves

4. Do the same horizontally.

5. Now for "S" curves. Again tape off a section vertically. Do 10 right handed "S" curves and 10 left handed.

6. Do the same horizontally.

This is Wizzards 100 lines practice. (10 lines X 10 times)

This is the best practice I've ever seen. (it works on your patience too)

I still do these now and again to sharpen myself.

Save them cause when you comparre the 1st to the 5th you will be amazed.

Get some mineral spirits for thinner and mineral oil to keep your brushes in!!

NEVER QUIT!

Monk

• Like 1

Sorry to chime in here but ive been wanting to start pin striping for while and I think im going to order brushes and paint tomorrow! I was just wondering if you all had some tips for me getting started?

yeah heres some tips

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/33438-ratsun-pinstripers-unite/page__pid__631394__st__140?do=findComment&comment=631394

• 2 weeks later...

I got my brushes, brush oil, and paint in! I still need to get odorless mineral spirits but i was just wondering if its used to thin the paint out? Also do i simply use paint thinner to erase my practice pieces off the board im using? I think im just going to use a clear clip board for now...anything else im missing? I want to paint!

I got my brushes, brush oil, and paint in! I still need to get odorless mineral spirits but i was just wondering if its used to thin the paint out? Also do i simply use paint thinner to erase my practice pieces off the board im using? I think im just going to use a clear clip board for now...anything else im missing? I want to paint!

All I use is Mineral Spirits for ALL thinning, clean up etc. 1 gallon is $12 at Wal-Mart!

Get some alcohol based window cleaner too. Great wax and grease remover. Use this after the mineral spirits to as a final clean!

That clear clip board will work.....Pretty small though. Try to find something a little bigger....a car door, hood or trunk lid would be ideal!

The one thing that Mr. Kim said was "don't give up!"

remember you have to "drive" the brush....turn to go around corners!!

Monk

PS

Send me some pics of you work at hotrodmonk55@gmail.com

also get on the pinhead lounge ASAP!!