Ratsun Pinstripers Unite!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig it too. My 11year old son couldn't get enough of watching Monk at Canby. I told him to research what he needed and I would help him get some stuff started now. Told him he could do the neighborhood kids bikes. He just laughed.

You guys do some bitch'n work. Monk, I might take you up on doing my cooler lid. Maybe I could bring it to one of the jem 100 meets.

Kafka brushes are great to get started with (prefer #3) but you will have a hard time going to any other brush. His brushes will turn (make a circle) without having to spin it in your fingers but a mack brush pulls a lot different, you have to twist it to make it turn even the slightest amount. Pick up a couple of different brushes, Mack, Kafka, Scharff, in different styles, dagger, sword, liner, scroll. I recommend using 1 shot paint with mineral spirits to reduce it. Get your palleting down, use some practice line diagrams, play around with different stripe styles. Look up some videos on youtube, a lot of good stripers have put up some really informative stuff on there.

Traditionally to start, use a Mack 000 series sword and a can of 1shot lettering white.

Thanks for the info.

The cooler lid will be no problem!! This Saturday???? Pacific Coast Sign Supply in Portland has EVERYTHING! Including some good books / videos, and they will ship. Sword Striping how to video by Wizzard helped me alot!

Don't forget some mineral oil to store your brushes in. They should be oiled after they are cleaned. one of these days bring your son out and we can go over some stuff!!

I use neatsfoot oil. You can get it from any grocery store by all the camp dry stuff.

Heard about that stuff......never tried it. Heard it gets runny? Also attracts bugs and sutch. I figured since I was using mineral spirits to thin the natural choice was mineral oil to preserve. Plus if it's super hot out you can add a drop or two to the paint and it slows the drying process!!

Hmm, i may have to try that.

Isn't there a product to keep the paint from "skinning" over?

Dunno..."Smoothie" helps it skin so you can do the second color faster with out bleeding.

The oil thing is an old Von Dutch trick.....

Careful with car oil. The detergents in some of the new oils will kill the squirrel hair. Neatsfoot oil and mineral oil are proven to work. I've been using it for 3 years with no problems.

Note: do not get your furell (wrap holding the hair on the stick) wet. The glue holding it is water soluble and will fall apart.