Take a look at my 510 race car project

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Great build Bart, no shortcuts anywhere. Even grinding off the bad cage welds and redoing them, index marking your bolts, clean plumbing, that's professionalism. Makes me relive the build of my 510 wagon racecar last year with very similar componentry, right down to the oilpan. I have the exact same one but don't know it's history, are you familiar with when and by whom they were built? Mine was baffled and had a windage tray, I added in some hinged trapdoors on the baffles.

Looks like a flattop piston with reliefs, what lift cam are you running and did you make your relief cuts for that particular cam, or just use a wag figure? I'm at that point with my next motor, flattops and .600 lift, and need to measure for relief cuts after I pick a gasket thickness.

I remember the big push to make my first event, it got hard to keep away from quick fixes for the last couple systems...

TroyT

Bart,

Did you make it to Road America? I heard Chris Bonk's 510 lost a motor while John Morton was at the wheel, truth or rumor?

We had a good showing of Datsuns at Watkins Glen this psst. There were a number of Bob Sharp's cars there. Both Sharp and Steve Millen were in attendance. We had a big Datsun/Nissan photo shoot in front of victory Lane. I had the only Datsun 1200 at the event.

Bob Leitzinger (Butch Lietzinger's Dad) is back out driving a Datsun 510 and a Lotus Elan in vintage. Quite quickly I might add. The quickest Datsun 510 was a friend of mine, Mike Agnifilo. He opperates a classic car prep and restoration shop named Stone Bridge Sports and Classics in Bethel, CT. His flawlessly prepared 510 racecar was the class of the field with its FIA head, L20B engine.

If I do get my hands on a copy of the group Datsun photo, I'll post it.

I did made it to RA but without my car.I have valve to piston clearance problem.Car is all done I started it but did not want to take a chance blowing it up.

Yes that is true that John had a bad luck with Steves car(not Chrises).Motor was very strong,but only for few laps...To bad it is nice car.We just pulled it off the car today.I think problem was too tight tolerance on cyl 3 rod bearing.Rod looks all discolored(I mean what left from it)rod broke off and went thru the block-the worst what can happened.

I raced Chrises car in enduro,but car has only 106WHP so it is not even close to be competitive.

Two Alfas took first and second and 510 took third.

Anyway we had great time at the track,weather was just perfect and it is always fun to be around with such a good driver like John Morton.

I will fix valve clearance after my work on SCCA Runoffs.There is still few more races in Midwest before winter.I would like to drive "The Loong Race"at Blackhawk Farms later this fall.

• 2 months later...

Good catch it is Gingerman Raceway,I just wanted to do few sesions before end of the season.Now I know what to fix:)

I did not move inner fener walls.I do not think that BRE cars did that either.They pushed fender out and then patched it from trunk side.You can see it clearly on old pictures in "How to hot rod&race your Datsun" book.

Good catch it is Gingerman Raceway,I just wanted to do few sesions before end of the season.Now I know what to fix:)

I did not move inner fener walls.I do not think that BRE cars did that either.They pushed fender out and then patched it from trunk side.You can see it clearly on old pictures in "How to hot rod&race your Datsun" book.

Yeah, the BREs moved the rear of the front fender wells back slightly to provide clearance for the turning radius with the 7" Libres when at lock. I wasn't sure if you went this all-out or not. It's mentioned in the 'Hot To Modify Datsun Engines & Chassis' book.

Car looks awesome though.

IMG_3202.jpg