A new addition to the family

My wife and I bought this the other day. I'm still test driving it to see what bugs need to be worked out. We bought it so our daughter can get some driving experience but it's growing on us adults quickly. The to do list will be posted soon with lots of questions. all comments and help welcome. Let the PICS begin.

SANY2973.jpg

SANY2974.jpg

SANY2976.jpg

SANY2908.jpg

SANY2954.jpg

SANY2933.jpg

SANY2923.jpg

SANY2915.jpg

SANY2919.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if your daughter needs driving experience, buy a Toyota or Honda. Once she can prove to you and the wife that she is a good & a responsible driver, then give her the Datsun.

I gave my daughter a 74 710 2dr orange w/ blk vinyl top, low mileage, 4 speed, non-smoker car for her 1st car and she ended up rearended a BIG YELLOW school bus. How in the hell did she not see a BIG YELLOW school bus, Oh she was waving at some friends. I learned a lesson there but so did she, I grounded her from driving any of our vehicles forever and sold the car.

remember, Datsuns are to be driven but also saved from the scrapper. my 2cents

• Like 1

a/c. It doesnt work and I'm not sure it ever will considering it takes the old refrigerant.

There are a couple of ways you can get this working, and getting the license to buy R12 is actually pretty easy. There are also some almost drop-in "alternative" refrigerants available (cheaper than R12). If the compressor is good probably ~200-300$ to get running, maybe a little less. If the compressor is shot more like ~400$.

Or you can just remove all the A/C stuff and sell it to me biggrin.gif

if your daughter needs driving experience, buy a Toyota or Honda. Once she can prove to you and the wife that she is a good & a responsible driver, then give her the Datsun.

I gave my daughter a 74 710 2dr orange w/ blk vinyl top, low mileage, 4 speed, non-smoker car for her 1st car and she ended up rearended a BIG YELLOW school bus. How in the hell did she not see a BIG YELLOW school bus, Oh she was waving at some friends. I learned a lesson there but so did she, I grounded her from driving any of our vehicles forever and sold the car.

remember, Datsuns are to be driven but also saved from the scrapper. my 2cents

Yeah she wont be driving it by herself anytime soon. Only with mom or dad in the car. At this point the datsun bug has bit my wife with this car. They just went up to the car wash and they bickered and my wife won. She wants to drive it to work already.

Besides, insurance for her to drive it by herself is way too expensive.

Ok I bought the haynes and chilton manual. The factory nissan is on the way in the mail.

THINGS TO DO-
1 Lube door hinges. One has a bad flat spot that makes the door not want to shut. lube now fix later.---Done
2 Fix the horn. I hear the relay and a faint sound from the horn. steering wheel contacts?---fixed, bought horns--Done
3 Muffler is rattling. Should I remove the cat if its there?---no cat but has a pre muffler.---Done
4 Gauges work sometimes, probably a loose con. I dont see a gauge volt reg on the back cluster.---Done
5 Check timing and dwell---Done
6 Unplug left wiper squirter---Done
7 Study and reroute vacuum lines. lots of missing and blocked lines.---Done
8 Study and fix carb wires.---swapped 4 weber---Done
9 Fix flat spot in carb---swapped 4 webber---Done
10 Shine rims and find center caps to buy---Done

THINGS TO BUY---
1 Dome light with housing---Done
2 Rear view mirror---Done
3 Rear hatch shocks.---Done
4 Heater hose---need long one really bad---Done
5 Fusebox---bought
6 Brake booster
7 Rear shocks---Done
8 Find a stock fm radio---Done
9 Hood bumpers---Done
10 Left tail light---Done
11 Owners manual---Done
12 Coil boot---Done
Specific pics and questions coming soon. Thanks guys.

I need a anti dieseling solenoid. The wire is not repairable. Can I use one off my l16 hitachi dhc328? or dhc340? I cant find the part numbers to compare. It does idle fine without it hooked up. I'm hoping a anti die-sol will fix the flat spot it has when stepping on the gas lightly. I'll also clean out the 2 jets under the bowl.

My choke wire has no power. Where is the choke relay? Is it under that mysterious black box next to the coil? I cant find its location in my manual.

How important is the throttle opener system? Mine is disconnected and the servo diaphram hose is going to the bottom of the carb instead of the throttle opener solenoid. should I leave it like this meaning does it work being there or can I remove the throttle opener system as in the control valve and solenoid?

SANY3025.jpg

Anti-diesel solenoid won't fix a flat spot. The only thing it fixes is possible dieseling.

If the engine idles OK with the solenoid not hooked up, it is because someone removed the pintle from the solenoid. In that case, you DON'T need to replace it, it won't make it run any better.

Anti-diesel solenoid won't fix a flat spot. The only thing it fixes is possible dieseling.

If the engine idles OK with the solenoid not hooked up, it is because someone removed the pintle from the solenoid. In that case, you DON'T need to replace it, it won't make it run any better.

It did look like something was missing out of the anti dieseling solenoid when I took it out.

I'll try cleaning out the needles under the caps under the bowl and maybe replacing the accelerator pump, the boot is old and cracking.

Don't fix what ain't broken. The boot on my accelerator pump has been broken for years, but the pump works fine.

Instead, test your accelerator pump, you will probably note it is working fine. Just look down the carb moving slowly moving the throttle. If a steady stream comes up (no trickling) then it is fine.

Flat spot is usually caused by timing or by air leak.

Yeah she wont be driving it by herself anytime soon. Only with mom or dad in the car. At this point the datsun bug has bit my wife with this car. They just went up to the car wash and they bickered and my wife won. She wants to drive it to work already.

Besides, insurance for her to drive it by herself is way too expensive.

Your insurance co may be much different. I'm with Farm Bureau, and because the Datsuns are considered antiques, ins is $180 every six months for my teen drivers. They both have maintained spotless driving records. Good luck, with the new driver, and the car, it looks great.

Rebuilt left horn button broken tabs, cleaned contacts, fixed wire

lubed sun visor shaft so the plastic mount doesnt break. It was super stiff

lubed door hinges

lubed seat rails

fuel filter replaced

ordered hatch shocks-o'rielly auto

ordered wheel center caps-les schwab

ordered hood hinge seals-nissanparts.cc

ordered hood rod holder clip-nissanparts.cc

ordered dome light-nissanparts.cc

720 rear view mirror installed. gotta love that universal ball on the back of most datsuns.

unplugged wiper squirter

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I bought this the other day. I'm still test driving it to see what bugs need to be worked out. We bought it so our daughter can get some driving experience but it's growing on us adults quickly. The to do list will be posted soon with lots of questions. all comments and help welcome. Let the PICS begin.

SANY2973.jpg

SANY2974.jpg

SANY2976.jpg

SANY2908.jpg

SANY2954.jpg

SANY2933.jpg

SANY2923.jpg

SANY2915.jpg

SANY2919.jpg

Nice ride.

• 2 weeks later...

I started to desmog it a couple weeks ago and clean up the engine bay a little.

Bead blasted volt reg box and valve cove and painted them black.

Before

SANY3183.jpg

After. New battery cables and wiper washer pump with motor.

SANY3513.jpg

SANY3512.jpg

egr was fitting was completely plugged

SANY3358.jpg

egr plug at the exhaust 16x1.5

SANY3461.jpg

before

SANY3027.jpg

after

SANY3505.jpg

SANY3339.jpg

I found one cracked hose on the anti backfire valve to the intake and all 4 carb nuts were loose but I couldn't tighten them with everything in the way. I took out the carb jet bolts and this is what they looked like. I couldn't get the jets out cause I dont have the right lengh screw driver to get to them yet.

SANY3483.jpg

My temporary egr block off plate just to see if it runs and it does after I figured the bolt holes need to be plugged also.

SANY3503.jpg

Shined up one rim and bought 4 new center caps from les schwab

SANY3460.jpg

latest pic. I want to find a thermostat housing that doesn't have the check valve or can I leave it the way I routed it to the air cleaner?

SANY3652.jpg

• 2 weeks later...