Auto parts people need to vent, do it here.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, see, that's my point.  No one in customer service would actually do that, but calming down the irate fellow coming in would be a real annoyance.  It would ruin my day, let's put it that way.  Now, if they were assholes to being with on the phone, then I'm definitely throwing it back there way.

see ive done parts lol well sort of when i was in high school i worked in the parts room of the shop my dad worked at under the table  for 5 bucks an hour answered phones called in orders found parts stuff like that so i know what its like to be on the other side of that counter part of why i always try and be nice to anyone when im the customer cause i know how frustrating it is to be on the other side and knowing how tempting it is to do things like that but to actually do it is different lol

i actually really want a job at a parts house i have alot of customer service experience and automotive know- how seems like a natural fit for me lol 

most parts guys I deal with know nothing without a computer, the year, make and model of your ride, and the part.  Try to order for example an inline 5/16 electric fuel pump, and its like i'm speaking another language.  "ummmmm, on what?"  me: "If I told you, it wouldn't help, you'll get nothing looking for that for a 1970 datsun 521 pickup" parts person: "Well, lets try anyway"  10 minutes of explaining later, i'm in back looking for the damn thing myself.  I have had a good laugh at other people that can't even tell the poor parts guy what they're driving or the part they need though, I just think the irritation goes both ways.  Lets face it, stupid people are hard to help, for customers, and parts guys.

As I've said before this is also the fault of the auto manufactures too. They make cars so easy to drive that every incompetent, spastic, moronic, inbred POS can get one. Example: anti-lock brakes and how they are marketed. They pretty much say "go ahead at any speed with confidence because the braking system will correct any mistakes you make". Gas stations used too hand out road maps to the public for free. It was a sort of intelligence test for the driver (both reading it and folding it) and so if someone had trouble navigating they didn't drive. Everyone should have at least a minimum capacity/ability of knowing where they are and where they are going. Where is the skill in a navigation system? Just more morons on the road following the prompter "you just missed your turn ... to correct turn left here, left here, left here.... make a U turn in .3 miles ahead...."  Cars should preclude operators that shouldn't be on the road.

I've been trying to put together a one on one, hour long class to fix this very problem. The idea is to teach people to do basic checks on their cars to know when something needs fixed before they are stuck on the side of the road, stranded, no cell service, cold, hungry, etc. I went through the trouble to put together a 12 page booklet that they could refer to for things like tire wear, the oil their car uses, etc. The course would be $75 for an hour (Less than most mechanics!), done at the address of the car owner's choosing, and include the booklet and a nice tire pressure gauge. I've been putting this out on craigslist and any other free advertising for about 4 months...No takers.

It's way too late for that... the ship has sailed. Cars used to take a minimum of skill to operate and Darwinism took care of the morons. Car makers have upset the natural order of things to get as many cars sold as possible. Did you know that there are now second generation moron drivers out there? Yup, parents that should never have met have offspring drivers. Genetic hybrid-cross-over morons.

• Like 1