Lower ball joint on 510

Could lower ball joint really fail on Datsun 510's?

I have numerous ball joints from my parts bin.

I can't see how replacing new ball joints make any difference from the once already on there.

All it does is rest at the bottom of the strut and allows the strut to rotate.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my 'goon, the ball joints where so loose that as I entered a tight curve at speed the car would shift over on the front suspension, scary at high speed :eek:.... I replaced those suckers as quick as I could!

Yes, they can fail.

Lack of maintainence will kill them quick, but even maintained ones see lot's of load in cornering and as the suspension compresses and extends. They can also wear in the socket over time just by moving them back and forth. Not to mention the 40 years or so of age that the steel the ball joint is made from. Everything breaks down as it get's older, steel is no exception.

The can last a looooong time even after they are worn, but it's your frontend the will be destroyed when they fail.

Quick test is to put it up on stands and use a pry bar to see if they have any slop. No slop? Save the spares. Same test can be used to check the tie-rods.

And by use a pry bar I mean try to pry the joint apart, and don't be a nancy boy about it :D

• 7 years later...

Are the duralast ball joints from Autozone alright to buy? :baby:

I remember reading how some people got some ball joints and had to drill new holes in the LCA's

I'm replacing all the bushings and joints, ends, and links on my car to make a t i g h t e r and more accurate steer. Any suggestions would help

Yesh, the old ones get loose, I to like mine tight like a tiger.

They typically never "fail" (unless you wreck the car), but when they get worn out and "loose" they can effect handling. Depends on if you want the car to be "tight" or "loose". I like tight. wink.gif

In my 'goon, the ball joints where so loose that as I entered a tight curve at speed the car would shift over on the front suspension, scary at high speed :eek:.... I replaced those suckers as quick as I could!

Are the duralast ball joints from Autozone alright to buy?  :baby:

I remember reading how some people got some ball joints and had to drill new holes in the LCA's

I'm replacing all the bushings and joints, ends, and links on my car to make a t i g h t e r and more accurate steer. Any suggestions would help

• 2 weeks later...

You will have the smaller early style ball joints. I would buy them on rockauto. I switched to the bigger later style which is recommended but not mandatory. It you can find 70-73 steering knuckles you could upgrade.

• Like 1

Buy moog.. be done

Yeah don't mess with the cheap junk.  

Once I was pulling some S12 V6 struts at the wrecking yard.  I was doing to old kick the wrench to loosen the lower strut bolts.  I couldn't believe it but the ball joint actually separated!!!!  To get the bolts loose I had to put the ball joint back together and hold tension on it.  First and only time I've seen ball joints that bad!!!  Since then I always check to field cars we get.  I can't imagine that happening on the road!  

• Like 1

When i just redid my front end my front ball joints had a good 1/4 inch of up and down play... Once i noticed i was glad that stuff was comming off right away and getting new shit... A few days before i had the speedo hella buried... 6800 in 5th gear...

Speedo was buried but some calcs say around 220k or so haha

If u see 555 on them theyre probibly fine.

I had to get a tie rod end from napa and they ended up getting me the gross no name cheap one, didnt even have a castle nut, looked ghetto compared to the moog ones, so i dont expect it to last long.

• 5 months later...