620 Gauge Differences

Javin

So, I had just finished doing my LED lighting and noticed that all 3 speedo clusters I have are different.

I am unsure of the years these are pulled out of but maybe someone can speak up and tell me WHY they are different and what the additional wires actually do.

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

3.(no wires out the top or connected to the speedo)

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks smart ass.

:rofl: Don't get butt hurt just foolin. I'm curious as whats up with this as well. Ill be a 620 owner in 2 days...

Btw, wasn't it 76 that had a different wiring harness than the other years? Maybe it has something to do with pre 76, 76 and after? Guess well see.

I do believe i have all years of 620 wiring diagrams in PDF (should be available on the olddatsuns.com website also)

:rofl: Don't get butt hurt just foolin. I'm curious as whats up with this as well. Ill be a 620 owner in 2 days...

Btw, wasn't it 76 that had a different wiring harness than the other years? Maybe it has something to do with pre 76, 76 and after? Guess well see.

I do believe i have all years of 620 wiring diagrams in PDF (should be available on the olddatsuns.com website also)

Not butthurt. I laughed :) It was clever. Yeah, I have no idea. It may be one thing if there were 2 different ones, but I personally have 3. So there has to be more to it than that.

#1 has the 10mph speed sensor, used for emission control

The little white box is the speed sensor:

* ASSY-AMPLIFIER,SPEED SWITCH

Only manual transmissions had this. Automatic 620s did not.

I have a manual transmission... Mine (#3) does not have it. Kinda strange that there was a sensor. I wonder what all it controls.

The box on the back is a speed switch and is part of the E.G.R. warning system. For each quarter mile traveled the detector drive counter(speed switch)turns once. Once it reaches 50000 turns(counts) it activates the E.G.R. lamp, indicating the system should be checked. It was introduced on the '75 models and only manual transmissions received them. Jersey

• Like 1

Javin, if you don't have it, it probably means you have a California model. With the adoption of the catalytic converter and the requirement of unleaded fuel for the '76 models with a California destination, the E.G.R. warning system was eliminated for CA models. If your V.I.N. is: KHL620KTUV than you have a CA model. V represents CA. Jersey

Javin, if you don't have it, it probably means you have a California model. With the adoption of the catalytic converter and the requirement of unleaded fuel for the '76 models with a California destination, the E.G.R. warning system was elimated for CA models. If your V.I.N. is: KHL620KTUV than you have a CA model V represents CA. Jersey

Oh. Yeah, I dont think mine was a california model, however I do have a catalytic converter (required to pass CA smog when I moved there). That is way cool. I just had no idea why there would be multiples and that makes sense. Thanks Jersey!

ya I don't know much about EGR, but here's how the Speed Sensor works:

23062.jpg

David, having the inquisitive nature that I do, I did a little homework on the speed switch, this is what I've learned in addition to what I've learned from you.

Manual transmission: the vacuum control solenoid valve is controlled by a speed switch that is actuated by the speedometer needle. As the vehicle speed falls below 10 MPH, this switch is activated, producing a signal. This signal is then amplified as it passes through a built-in amplifier, causing the vacuum control valve to function.

Automatic transmission: The automatic transmission incorporates an inhibitor switch. This switch is operated only when the transmission is placed in either the "N" or "P" position. With the transmission placed in either of the above ranges, the switch causes the vacuum control solenoid valve to function.

I apologize to everyone for my earlier confusion between the two switches. Jersey