Where to buy: Steering Gear Box?

dross93ranger

I have a 1972 Datsun, bagged and body dropped. The suspension is almost complete and the motor is completely rebuilt so now I just need to redo the steering and a few other odds and ends. I have been searching everywhere for a new steering gear box for this truck and can't find one anywhere! Can anyone help?

Also does anyone have or know of a good place to buy a transmission crossmember for this truck?

Also the truck has an l20b in it and I need a new oil pan. Let me know if anyone has these parts or knows where to buy them and I'll try to get some pics up soon.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are all wrecking yard items unless someone has one laying around some where. If looking for an L20B pan you will need one from a truck and not a car. Cars have the steering t the rear so the pan bulges to the front. Trucks are the opposite and need the deepest part of the pan to the rear of front clearance of the steering..

I have a 1972 Datsun, bagged and body dropped. The suspension is almost complete and the motor is completely rebuilt so now I just need to redo the steering and a few other odds and ends. I have been searching everywhere for a new steering gear box for this truck and can't find one anywhere! Can anyone help?

Also does anyone have or know of a good place to buy a transmission crossmember for this truck?

Also the truck has an l20b in it and I need a new oil pan. Let me know if anyone has these parts or knows where to buy them and I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Since your truck's bagged and channeled it's safe to assume this is a rodsteration rather than restoration, and adherance to factory parts a convenience rather than necessity. In the spirit of that thought I would strongly urge you to circular-file the factory suicide box and opt for a collapsible steering column setup. Some possibilities include rack and pinion, late model Corvair, or GM S-10/S-15. Of these the cheapest and most accessible would be the latter GM units~ but non-power boxes are not as prevalent. If this piques your interest (and you're not in too much of a hurry) I'll be using the GM setup~ and you'll see the plight of my fabrication adventure in my soon-to-be started build post and accompanying How-To's....

Aftermarket transmission X-members are bulky and not clearance oriented in general, and to my knowledge are made exclusively for C-channel frames. With our trucks being fully boxed (a great strength benfit!) some amount of fabrication will be in your future. A great low-profile possibility might be a first gen Camaro/Firebird piece trimmed to fit frame width, and nested/bolted to flanges you'd weld to your frame. Square U-bolts might be an option to welding....

Scott

Here are some pictures of how the truck sits now:

She is bagged and bodydropped, 42" from the crown of the roof to the ground.

IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

And all the removed parts:

IMAG0201.jpg

Also here is the steering box I need (the bearings inside are junk):

IMAG0183.jpg

Here is the oil pan (btw this truck came factory with an l16 and the previous owner swapped in this l20b, so this may be a 620 pan. The pan is actually touching the tie rods)

IMAG0203.jpg

Also does anyone know what size hose I need here:

IMAG0184.jpg

And the next few shots are her put together at shows in 2010 and my 93 Ranger:

GoBigCustomPhoto201013.png

Dropt-N-Destroyed2010DropJaw43.png

GoBigCustomPhoto201011.jpg

BTW the girl is my wife, it is her truck. 100_8380.jpg

and my pride and joy:

IMAG0192.jpg

We need a bunch of parts for it everything from window rollers, steering gearbox, tranny crossmember, marker lights, round door mirrors in good condition, oil pan, and the list goes on. So any parts anybody has and needs to get rid of let me know and we may buy them! Its a 72 PL521

Here is the oil pan (btw this truck came factory with an l16 and the previous owner swapped in this l20b, so this may be a 620 pan. The pan is actually touching the tie rods)

IMAG0203.jpg

Easiest fix is to hammer it in for clearance or remove and have a pannel welded in. I put a car L20B in my 521 and used the L16 oil pan a pickup no problems.

I have a 1970 521 cab, and a 1972 521 cab. Both of them have the steering column/box, and I will not be using either one. The 1972 box does not have the pitman arm on it. The 1970 box does have the pitman arm, but I couldn't get it off, so I cut the tie rod ends off, and they are still attached to the pitman arm. I have also taken the engine truck apart and have the rolling chassis in my driveway. If you want one of my columns and the tranny crossmember, I'm sure we can figure out how to ship them to you. I'm in Pomona, CA. My cell number is 626-755-6764. I always try to answer, but at work it's difficult. You can text me as well if you like. I'm not trying to get rich off the parts, so what are they worth to you?

I have a 1970 521 cab, and a 1972 521 cab. Both of them have the steering column/box, and I will not be using either one. The 1972 box does not have the pitman arm on it. The 1970 box does have the pitman arm, but I couldn't get it off, so I cut the tie rod ends off, and they are still attached to the pitman arm. I have also taken the engine truck apart and have the rolling chassis in my driveway. If you want one of my columns and the tranny crossmember, I'm sure we can figure out how to ship them to you. I'm in Pomona, CA. My cell number is 626-755-6764. I always try to answer, but at work it's difficult. You can text me as well if you like. I'm not trying to get rich off the parts, so what are they worth to you?

Thanks so much, I can get back to you tomorrow. I will call in the afternoon if that is alright. I would love to have one of the columns as long as the bearings are alright in the steering box and the crossmember itself I actually have, but the mounts on the sides are what I will need. The rubber broke clean off of mine and left it not usable.