Wheels for my wagon... progress

Just thought I'd share the progress I'm making on the wheels for my 510 Wagon. They are 14x7 et.0 CSS mesh wheels. Before and after polishing, I've got two done and started on the third. This is the first and will probably be the last set of wheels I polish... six grades of sand paper, two polishing compounds and this is what you get.

WP_000017.jpg

WP_000019.jpg

WP_000016.jpg

WP_000018.jpg

WP_000021.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work! It takes a lot of work and time to restore wheels. I hear you on not doing the process again. I restored a set of SSR's 2 years ago and told myself I wouldn't do that again. Especially when wheel shops can polish 'em for cheap. It's fun to do once, but next time, just have the wheel shop do the hard work! ;)

lookn good so far! :thumbup: A how to write up might be helpful for others who want to try ;)

DIY - How to polish aluminum wheels.

1. Load wheels in car

2. Drive down to local polisher

3. Pay him what ever he wants because it's cheaper than rotator cuff surgery

HAHA!

Jun's right, It's nice to do it yourself for the experience and sense of accomplishment but it's a TON of work. Don't get me wrong I'm really happy with the result, but if you want them to look perfect take them to a pro. I still have one more to do from start to finish so I'll take some pics along the way.

lookin good.... what are you going to do with the centers?

Right now I'm just going to leave them, the paint's not too bad and my wagon is definitely no show car. Eventually I'll repaint them with a dark gold or bronze

looks good!

I had enkei apache IV that looked A LOT like that!

Thanks, that's kinda why I bought them. I wanted an old set of Enkei 92's, but anything in decent shape with a good offset is bring more than I paid for my wagon to begin with

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just finished a set myself and then found this thread.

Probably going to put on my 85 s12, or my 83zx not sure yet

20120613_162227.jpg

20120613_162443.jpg

What you guys think? Face is plastidiped red while lips were stepped from 220grt all the way to 1000grt with my s12 as a mini lathe ;). I used mothers instead of polishing compounds