Yet Another BMW Ellipsoid Intall!

Laecaon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Hella bulbs and I was wondering which way I orientate the beam. Is the cutoff on the inside pointed on the bottom or top?

Good question! The metal shield inside goes on the bottom side. All light that travels through the lense gets flipped upside down (kind like looking through a telescope)

I happen to have one of these lights partially disassembled right now...

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

I have a set of these... I need to get hot on installing them. 

Eh. These can be better than sealed beams, But they just dont throw down the light I was expecting, even with HIDs in them. They just dont pierce the night like I want.

If I was just going for a decent light upgrade, I would stick with one of the 5.75 headlight conversions, I have seen enough now to say that some cast some very nice light. (look for metal and glass construction). And I know Hella makes E-codes for the 5.75 size....

The technology in them is just too old. The reflector in them is not quite right or something.

If you can find the information, the BMW guys say this:

US spec ellipsoids are better than sealed beams.

Good quality H4 housings are way better than US spec ellipsoids

Euro (smileys) spec ellipsoids, are slighty (not worth an upgrade over) H4 housings.

So by request, I have made a diagram for the 521's. This may also be correct for other datsuns.

So here is the new diagram, with proper colors for the 521.

Datsun%252520521%252520headlights.jpg

Some quick differences between the 510 and 521:

Basically the differences between the 510 and 521 are that the 510 is ground switching and the 521 is positive switching.

The 510 has separate + power to each side of the car for lights (including 2 fuses, 1 for each side). The 521 shares a common positive, and a ground.

On my install on the 510, I ran a separate relay for each side. This was mainly because the stock wiring on the 510 is separate power left and right. Since this is not the case on the 521, it may not be required. But for cleanliness sake I would run separate relays (only additional wires would be for getting power in, versus with 1 relay you have to run a random wire from 1 headlight to the other which just seems odd to me).

Im going to include this in post in post 2 as well.

Please notify me with any discrepancies, or if I missed something.

What do I do with the left over wires from the stock harness on either side after the relays. Do I wire them together? I belove its the high beam signal wire

What do I do with the left over wires from the stock harness on either side after the relays. Do I wire them together? I belove its the high beam signal wire

Um, I just covered the connector with electrical tape, thinking that one day I might need it again (and I do)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, because the halogen bulbs are halogen bulbs.

And yes to HIDs because most kits are 35w which is 15-20w lower power than halogens.

That said, an upgraded Alternator was one of the best things I ever did to my car. Wipers worked fast, blinkers were new car fast, and electronics just seemed more stable and responsive. I had an 80amp alt.

No they do not. Why I converted to real bixenon projectors and HIDs. I have new car lighting with proper cutoff and everything.

The other problem, 1200s use 7" lights, most of the other Datsuns use 5.75". Look into what Z car guys use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...