Laecaon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh sure. I am now running HIDs. They work super well in the ellipsoids.

Instructions are the same as what is in the thread. But you need to take out the stock bulbs. The HID kit will have a plug to attach to the plug for the bulb (the US spec Ellipsoids use 9006 bulbs and since that is what I had on my wires that is the kit I ordered), and then you just need to connect to the lights. Basically HID ballasts install between the stock plug (in this case 9006 bulb type) and the bulb, which comes in the kit.

I bought my HIDs here: $55 shipped, http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/HID-Kits-Lighting/HID-Kits

• Like 1

DDM is a good place, but alot of people, bimmer guys, have had issues with em, i though have not. i will be ordering a set of HIDs from them as soon as i swap my projectors in. i have a set from an E34 5 series that i am gonna use. just gotta cut em down for my truck.

Its not a hardware issue, its the factor of their shipments from china actually making it to their warehouses. It somtimes takes forever to get the product. But like I said, I haven't had any issues with em.

As for your 6Ks being to blue, 35 or 55 watt ballasts?? I have heard 35 watt ones do look more blue then the 55s.

It took awhile. Shipment to my house was direct from china. Almost 2 weeks to get, but tracking is supplied.

I was apprehensive about getting them because I read a lot of people having issues with the lights not being same color/ one light wont turn on the second time.

I have the 35 watt. 55 watt tends to just wash out the color. I am thinking of switching to 4.7k bulbs for a whiter color (and I hear that it is a toss up between that and 4k on which put out the most light).

Now where can I find out about your rabbit rescuing? I have a friend who has about 7 diesel rabbits.

• 1 month later...

Okay...instead of starting a whole new thread just to ask a question, I felt this was the best spot to put it...since it relates to this mod.

I'm sure in comparison to the stock headlights this would be hard measure since the improvement is already so great.

But when installing these lights into your car, did you deem it necessary to upgrade your alternator? Or are you running these on the stock 30amp alternator? I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of the new light setup as I’m collection up parts to do this.

I have practically nothing installed in my 510 at the moment, but do plan on installing a head unit and decent 4 speakers... just curious as how the brightness of the lights were effected under similar conditions if someone has a similar setup. I have no aspirations of putting in a 'system'!!!

Thanks

Ross

Well lets think of it this way.

Stock sealed beam lows h5006 were 35 watt. 9006 bulbs are 55watt. I had no problem with the headlights ever dimming with the stock 35 amp alternator.

I went to HIDs most recently in these lights (good upgrade), and I got those in 35 watt. The HIDs were the same brightness with the car running and not running. I dont recall for the 9006 bulbs.

I have since all of this upgraded to a 60 amp internally regulated 280ZX alternator. I recommend this if you have a stereo as well (even with stock headlights).

At the end of the day, the lights dont seem to really care. To be honest though, I kinda wish I would have gone to H4 housings and bulbs.

I eventually plan to find some clear glass covers (to get rid of the not needed flutting on projectors) for these lights, and then swap to TSX lenses for a better beam pattern.

• 2 months later...

Well lets think of it this way.

Stock sealed beam lows h5006 were 35 watt. 9006 bulbs are 55watt. I had no problem with the headlights ever dimming with the stock 35 amp alternator.

I went to HIDs most recently in these lights (good upgrade), and I got those in 35 watt. The HIDs were the same brightness with the car running and not running. I dont recall for the 9006 bulbs.

I have since all of this upgraded to a 60 amp internally regulated 280ZX alternator. I recommend this if you have a stereo as well (even with stock headlights).

At the end of the day, the lights dont seem to really care. To be honest though, I kinda wish I would have gone to H4 housings and bulbs.

I eventually plan to find some clear glass covers (to get rid of the not needed flutting on projectors) for these lights, and then swap to TSX lenses for a better beam pattern.

Definitely keep us up to date on that. I've have a thread saved somewhere where a guy put Morimoto Mini H1 bi-xenons in E32/E34 ellipsoid housings. Was going to look into that in the future.

so i installed my ellipsoids today and they work great on lo beam when i switch to hi beams they shut off and only driver side hi beam turns off ??? has anyone encountered this..

Just so we under stand. When low beams are on, they work great. When you switch to High beams, the lo beams shut off and only one of the High Beams work? Sounds like a blown fuse for the high beam, and as for the lows shutting off, that is standard, but Laecaon found a trick and posted it, I believe it was the Red/Black wire going to the headlight relay. If you ground it out perminantely, the lows will work as lows and stay on when you switch to highs.

As for hid kits, when I had extra cash I was going to buy from http://www.houseofhid.com/index.php they are more expensive than DDM (about $100 more after DDM shipping is calculated), but I know the owner he is a stand up guy that stands behind is stuff. I have seen plenty of cars that have gone through him, and plenty of friends that have gone through him and they have never had any problems, and if something goes wrong he is very helpful and quick to resolve the issue. I'll happily spend more for the piece of mind for better stuff and service.

Definitely keep us up to date on that. I've have a thread saved somewhere where a guy put Morimoto Mini H1 bi-xenons in E32/E34 ellipsoid housings. Was going to look into that in the future.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1771579

Also lists projectors for sale for $75 shipped.

Just so we under stand. When low beams are on, they work great. When you switch to High beams, the lo beams shut off and only one of the High Beams work? Sounds like a blown fuse for the high beam, and as for the lows shutting off, that is standard, but Laecaon found a trick and posted it, I believe it was the Red/Black wire going to the headlight relay. If you ground it out perminantely, the lows will work as lows and stay on when you switch to highs.

As for hid kits, when I had extra cash I was going to buy from http://www.houseofhid.com/index.php they are more expensive than DDM (about $100 more after DDM shipping is calculated), but I know the owner he is a stand up guy that stands behind is stuff. I have seen plenty of cars that have gone through him, and plenty of friends that have gone through him and they have never had any problems, and if something goes wrong he is very helpful and quick to resolve the issue. I'll happily spend more for the piece of mind for better stuff and service.

yeah thats exactly what is happening, i checked the fuses and swaped them out with same result dont know if maybe my relay has something to do with it?? guess no high beams for me its not like i use them anyways

but thanks for the reply wasnt sure if the low beams were supposed to turn off when high beam are turned on... and these things are bright during the day cant wait to see them at night... hids next pay check lol

IMG_0698_zpsd6f80a0b.jpg

http://forums.bimmer...d.php?t=1771579

Also lists projectors for sale for $75 shipped.

Yeah that's the one I had saved, need to save up some money.

yeah thats exactly what is happening, i checked the fuses and swaped them out with same result dont know if maybe my relay has something to do with it?? guess no high beams for me its not like i use them anyways

but thanks for the reply wasnt sure if the low beams were supposed to turn off when high beam are turned on... and these things are bright during the day cant wait to see them at night... hids next pay check lol

Yeah it's happened to me before also. I believe each high beam is on their own fuse, not sure what else would be the problem besides a wiring issue. When doing the BMW lights I also upgraded to a newer bosch relay, since I grounded out the red/black wire (I believe, can't remember exactly) I have a 4 prong relay.

just lows.

599538_4068186338887_1347878227_n.jpg

High beams and lows.

558523_4153866160829_1228683231_n.jpg

Yeah that's the one I had saved, need to save up some money.

Yeah it's happened to me before also. I believe each high beam is on their own fuse, not sure what else would be the problem besides a wiring issue. When doing the BMW lights I also upgraded to a newer bosch relay, since I grounded out the red/black wire (I believe, can't remember exactly) I have a 4 prong relay.

just lows.

599538_4068186338887_1347878227_n.jpg

High beams and lows.

558523_4153866160829_1228683231_n.jpg

if u dont mind me asking what fuses are u talking about cus the only fuses i know of are the ones under the dash in a little black box and i only see one for all the headlights and its a 15amp fuse??

No idea about the later 510s, but probably similar to most of the other datsuns. (510s are ground switched, others appear to be positive switched)

There is no separate fuse for highs. My wiring trick only works on 70-73 cars. 68 and 69 provide constant power to the headlights even when the car is off, therefore perma grounding the lows will make them stay on all the time... not good. The later cars have power that goes through the switch, so you can turn the lights off at night.

Hi and Lows are never to be on together, simple as that. Before, your outer lights were lows and highs. It simply lighted a different filament. You need to figure out how to make it so the high beam switch simply makes the highs turn on, in addition.

I think what you need to do, and this is just a thought without looking at any diagrams. Find the headlight relay. Should be 5 terminals? maybe 6... Anyways, 2 wires control when the relay turns on, we dont care about those ones (probably connected to the high beam switch). Then there is the power wire from the fuse panel/ headlight switch. This wire will get power when you turn on the headlights. Now you have 2 others. 1 goes to the low beams, the other to the high beams; the relay chooses where the power goes. What needs to happen is you need to permanently connect the wire that turns on with the headlight switch, and the wire that goes to the low beams. This should make it so that the lights still only come on with the headlight switch, but regardless of the the highbeam switch, will always get power to the lows. The high beam switch will just make it so the high beams also get power.

Hope that helps, or gives you some ideas.

• 1 month later...

68 and 69 provide constant power to the headlights even when the car is off, therefore perma grounding the lows will make them stay on all the time... not good. The later cars have power that goes through the switch, so you can turn the lights off at night.

Yikes

I have 68' Fiveten, so the relay wiring posted is not the same?

Relay wiring is the same.

What you quoted was my quick fix to making the low beams stay on with the high beams.

I need to look at a 68/69 diagram later and figure it out, Im sure its simply, but I have had a few IPAs for the night.

• 1 month later...