71 Datsun 521 Two-fer Rehabilitation

Rocket Dog

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude unless your friend is some hot bitch....

As a matter of fact....

Both trucks will be stock. I'm undecided as to whether I cut the bed with the roll pan to install stock-type lights or just replace it with a stock bed I bought from a guy. I'd hate to sell the roll pan bed to someone only to see it cut up. I mean, I can cut it up myself.

New problem. Bought yet another parts truck, its a 521 with a flat bed on the back. Someone along the way removed the rear leaf springs and now the back end is just resting on the chassis. I have to jury rig something to attach the rear axle securely enough to tow it to the storage yard where I can gut it for the parts. I think I've figured a way using 4x4 and u-bolts as a temporary rig. The truck will be winched aboard a flat bed tow truck and driven to the storage yard. All it has to do is roll a few feet.

As a matter of fact....

Both trucks will be stock. I'm undecided as to whether I cut the bed with the roll pan to install stock-type lights or just replace it with a stock bed I bought from a guy. I'd hate to sell the roll pan bed to someone only to see it cut up. I mean, I can cut it up myself.

New problem. Bought yet another parts truck, its a 521 with a flat bed on the back. Someone along the way removed the rear leaf springs and now the back end is just resting on the chassis. I have to jury rig something to attach the rear axle securely enough to tow it to the storage yard where I can gut it for the parts. I think I've figured a way using 4x4 and u-bolts as a temporary rig. The truck will be winched aboard a flat bed tow truck and driven to the storage yard. All it has to do is roll a few feet.

Found a solution, if it works I'll post photos. If it doesn't work I'll post photos after hospitalization.

I'll end this thread and start one in the DATTO forum once I start swapping parts.

Last weekend I got a parts truck from a local guy here. Note the engineering modification on the back end that only a marketing major would devise. The leaf springs were gone so I had to do something to get the truck on the tow.

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry about the broken pic links. I reshuffled my photo bucket page to better organize the pictures. This is my last post in this thread. I'll start a thread in the DATO forum to document the build.

I have two trucks I am building, and possibly a third. I am hindered by the demands of the job and the fact that I live in a condo, and have no garage. I do have the base auto hobby shop which is where I do the work and store the trucks.

The first truck is one I bought down in LA. I've changed out the bed, seat, and adding tail lights, dash, and some other odds and ends I have from parts trucks I bought.. I found a local shop for the engine rebuild. Still looking for a local upholstery and body shop but I have some good leads.

0604111457-1-1.jpg

0604111457b-1.jpg

The second truck I bought was intended for parts, but it's so complete I decided to rebuild it (plus GF wanted a 521 too). The motor was rebuilt but not fully assembled - which I am doing now. Once it's running I will assess the rest of the truck but it was being driven before the motor rebuild started. Minor body work, the driver side fender needs a big dent/crease fixed.

imagejpeg952a-2-1.jpg

imagejpeg952b-1-1.jpg

Finally, the 3rd and 4th trucks bought as parts trucks. I'm contemplating making a third truck from parts of both but only after the first two are done. You can see I have the bed off the blue truck mounted on my original (white) truck.

DSC00295-1.jpg

DSC00272-1-1.jpg

This was a delivery truck used by Ventura Seed Company. It sat for many years, was bought by a guy who bought it for parts, then later sold it to me (also for parts). I would like to use this cab on the blue truck (see below) that I bought as a wreck from a guy in Manteca.

DSC00327-1.jpg

DSC00333-1.jpg

This was a daily driver before some idiot pulled out in front of the previous owner. The damage to the unibody cab is too expensive to fix, but the frame is good so....am contemplating using this frame and other stuff with parts from the flatbed truck to make myself a work truck. I bought this minus the engine and transmission. Okay - this closes out the thread. Look for a new one in the DATO forum as I start to document the rebuild(s).