Hood Release Cable

ddrum

So today i finally got my 620 back from the shop. Why? Because it got an

overhaul. :D I've been mad happy all day driving it around, but then the battery went dead. So i got my bro's Dodge Ram to pass charge to my 620 and as i was about to open the hood i guess i pulled

the clable too hard and it broke :angry: . So now i cant open my hood. Is there any other way i can open my hood? without tearing anything apart or am i screwed?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it's next to impossible to remove the grille on a 620 (intact) with the hood closed... all but 2 bolts are on top BEHIND the hood lip, and the grill has to be rotated and pulled up to remove.

You MIGHT be able to fish around through the grille and trigger the lever that the cable is (was) attached to.

Or, if the hood is sort of wobbly you might be able to unbolt the catch pin assembly from the hood itself. Ot's not easy with a nice straight hood though (I've done that method, but the hood was already bent to hell. Which was why the cable wouldn't release...)

Best case scenario is the cable broke right at the pull handle in the cab.. . . . . . if thats the case pull the cable that's left hanging under the dash

..... I would jack the truck up on jackstands in the front ...... . . .and try to reach from underneath into the engine bay to grab the release cable

Best case scenario is the cable broke right at the pull handle in the cab.. . . . . . if thats the case pull the cable that's left hanging under the dash

..... I would jack the truck up on jackstands in the front ...... . . .and try to reach from underneath into the engine bay to grab the release cable

Would you? just over a week ago you didn't own a datsun with a motor in it, much less a hood on it :rofl: oh snaps!! But you're right, what you said would work best

:P thanks for the help guys, but it turns out that there was still a piece of metal

string hanging out, so i just grabbed some pliers and pulled it down and back up

and hood popped :D YEAH!!!

• 11 years later...

Just go my 73 620 from original owner (for free)  last month.  He already had broken the hood release wire and shut the hood, now I need to replace.  However the hood is locked and the cable is broken. I did see the cable and pulled on it but nothing happened.   I tried just using the straight edge screwdriver inside the grill trick but to be honest i just don't know exactly where the trigger is to open the hood.  Can you be more specific of where to place the screwdriver edge.  Thanks