Anyone ever consider an I-beam axle with leafs up front?

68Datsun510

It would simplify the hell out of the front end, or at least i think. I beam axle, basic leaf spring suspension, spindles and hubs with disc brakes.

Get all the obsolete hard to find crap out of there, ya know???

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just install the later model nissan lower control arms,custom upper arms, ball joint spindles and have averything modern and retain the IFS.

It is so easy to install too.

I am hoping to have the custom upper control arms available soon.

I think that replacing your ~1960s technology torsion bars with 1920s technology solid axle is not quite going AWAY from "obsolete". Other than the discs, and that's covered here how to change that. So you'd help your straight-line stopping but ruin the handling.

If you're gonna go with leafs, might as well get a Dana-30 or a Toyota front axle and a transfer case. It'll ride just as rough as that model-A axle will.

Just go with 720 or Hardbody suspension. It'll take the same amount of welding, but the parts are a LOT cheaper.

It would simplify the hell out of the front end, or at least i think. I beam axle, basic leaf spring suspension, spindles and hubs with disc brakes.

Get all the obsolete hard to find crap out of there, ya know???

Simplicity of design~ yes. Complicated~ to the likes of which you can't imagine! It's late Thursday~ gotta get up spankin-early for Canby, and I'd be happy to expound on the physics of *unsprung weight ratio* once I get home after Sunday. But suffice it to say that is soooo old-school~ I-beam, or (and this leaves a really BAD taste in my mouth) twin I-beam front suspension. I'll give you a quick example~ take your arm and raise it from your side up -n- down as quick as you can. Now, do the same motion with a 2-pound can of beans in your hand. Feel the difference? Now multiply that by 20-40 times (the weight of your car vs suspension)....

I'm tired, and need some Z's~ but if you really need a more vivid picture painted I'll muster the energy first -o- next week...

Scott

Scott...you talk a lot without saying very much. Just sayin...

Yep, you're right~ and no offense taken. I figured that inquiring about suspension as he did, the concept of unsprung weight ratio had not been cast his way~ and was starting with the basics. I can get a bit wordy sometimes, but then all the students in a class~ or readers of a thread~ are not going to be at or learn at the same level.

Now~ about the polar moment of inertia....:blink:

:lol:

Scott