Yay! for disc brake success boo! for being rearended the next day

villegs

I got the Bee disc brake swap complete on the KC Friday, took about an hour per side, including tool and jack hauling from my shed in backyard and doing stuff like repacking bearings etc. DSCN0510.jpg Did a brief shakedown that night and then parked it calling it a day. Saturday I was out running errands and got stuck in a traffic jam due to a funeral with an ungodly amount of police cars. So I'm sitting at the end of a line with barely enough room between me and a 8' tall curb that would allow impatient people to get to the express way on ramp that is also blocked by the procession. First the Chevy spectrum squeezes pass, I'm getting nervous, then, some how a caprice squeezes past. I'm cussing them the whole time, wishing ill things on their ancestral line and their neighbors if they hit me, they get by. A ranger pull up behind me and I focus again on the funeral BAM! I sit yelling in the truck for a solid 3 minutes before getting out. The ranger driver got impatient and failed to be a good driver. DSCN0511.jpg I didn't feel like dicking around with police reports and such and am planning on removing the park bench(that probably saved the truck from actual damage)anyways, so I told her to go away and not drive stupid anymore.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn that sucks but you screwed up! You should have got her info and called the police. That was FREE money if you werent planning on running that bumper anyways!?!

High five on the disc brake conversion though! Something I definitely will do one day!

Stories like that are WHY I put an ugly park-bench bumper back on my truck (prior owner scrapped the original).

That, and less than 3 weeks after I installed one on my Mom's truck (which never had one from 1973-1993) my Dad stopped for a crossing ambulance and got rear-ended. Bent the bumper, but saved the taillights. Demolished the front of the Skylark that hit it.

Oh, plus the fact that I have a tendency to back into things in my own yard. Trees, fences, my garage...

Bent the bumper, but saved the taillights. Demolished the front of the Skylark that hit it.

:lol: I'm starting to like the idea of a step bumper on mine,too. Most new cars would be totalled if they hit it. Serves them right...

I didn't swap to the bigger M/C yet but it's still a vast improvement, stops better, smoother, straighter than with drums. Pedal feel is kinda squishy but I was double pumping with the drums and with the discs I now do not feel a panic stop would end badly. I got the rotors, pads and hoses from my work and ordered beck/arnly calipers because the core was actually cheaper although I am hanging onto the boxes just in case I find something I can dupe my boss into believing are nissan cores. One little thing about the swap irks me, the pads over hang the rotors a hair, I know in the cosmic scheme of things this isn't a big deal so I would suggest the conversion to anyone. O and now that bumper just has character :)

Same thing only different~

On my way to put this in a car show one Sunday morning, two weeks after doing a front disc, dual MC brake conversion. A mile and a half from the entrance gate some gal pulls outta her driveway in a Toyota Echo, and left me no place to go. Appraised at $18K, her insurance payed me $9500 to total it, and to top it off the surgeons took 30% of my right knee's cartilage out that was crushed from mashin on the whoapedal. You got lucky.

CorvairRecon010.jpg

I built this out of 1/4 inch wall square tubing for my RAM.It will wad up anything short of a 18-wheeler

DSC00858.jpg

This one,i put re-enforcement rods from the outer corners to the brackets to prevent any folding up.

DSC00052.jpg

Do it right and you only have to do it once ;)