Carburetor Backfires

521chowda

I got my new weber and put it on, and did some tuning, and im still getting carb backfires. then i figured it could maybe might possibly be the timing, but that hadnt accomplished anything. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get rid of these? maybe im missing something here?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a lean backfire. If just changing the carb the ignition shouldn't need adjusting. I don't do Webers but isn't the mixture screw also an adjustment for the primary jet mixture too? Turn it out and richen up the mixture. Or remove the jet and see if clogged.

A too tight valve will also do this. Make sure you have some clearance so the valve closes fully. A damaged valve or badly worn seat can do this. Both valves seal in a sizable explosion so if the sealing is compromised it will get out.

The points are brand new, i planned on getting a electric dizzy on the next pay period. i just got it re timed and the carb checked and tuned, so theoretically it should be running fine but it still backfires and has a really hard time starting up. im gonna go play with it some more and see what happenssmile.gif

A too tight valve will also do this. Make sure you have some clearance so the valve closes fully. A damaged valve or badly worn seat can do this. Both valves seal in a sizable explosion so if the sealing is compromised it will get out.

The above needs checking as well. Doesn't cost anything to check the lash.