• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest jaimesix

Dave.

How are you painting the underside of your Datto???

What kind of paint???

What about the rubber trim, I am looking to replace all rubber trim on mine. Are these rubber parts still available through Nissan AU??? Some enlightment would be appreciated.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

Hi all, newbie from Australia here :D

This is my 610 coupe currently undergoing restoration. Eventually it will run an L18, with the added benefit of efi and a Mini Cooper S supercharger :eek:.

It had a fair amount of rust, but I'm pretty close to having the bodywork finished now. I've just started work on the mechanical side of things. Realistically, its still another two years off being finished.

First pic is what it looked like before I dismantled it, others are how the shell currently sits.

16663638uu8.jpg

222yk9.jpg

u3tg9.jpg

Guest jaimesix

Hey 13bVW.

Your 4 door 610 sedan appears not to have the J line trim around the side windows. Is that how 180B sedans were sold in AU???, or did you get those off?

Your name suggests a VW with a 13B rota, is that right?

Jaime.________________________________________________________

these are my 610's(180b's down here)

the orange was an original granny spec

the white one was sr20det powered but sadly didn't survive a meeting with a concrete pole

2llha42.jpg

n41gp.jpg

23mrion.jpg

ru5tvp.jpg

Dave.

How are you painting the underside of your Datto???

What kind of paint???

What about the rubber trim, I am looking to replace all rubber trim on mine. Are these rubber parts still available through Nissan AU??? Some enlightment would be appreciated.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

I'm using POR-15 for the underside of the car. Its brushed on, after preparing the bare metal with the special "Metal Prep" stuff they sell as well. Using it on the inside of the floorpan as well, and other random spots that are prone to rusting (like around the windscreens). I believe its actually an American product.

Its a bit expensive, but I like being able to just pour a little out of the can into another container, brush it on with a cheap paintbrush, then chuck the brush away. No cleaning sprayguns out when you finish, no wasting thinned down paint when you over-estimate how much you'll need when mixing it.

Once I've finished the whole underneath, I'll spray normal undercoat over the POR-15 rustproofing paint, then straighten it all up and spray the same colour as the rest of the car.

Unfortunately, Nissan AU don't have much in the way of parts for the 610. I went thru my parts manual a while back and made a 2 page list of part numbers for stuff I was after. Took it to the local Nissan dealer, and they could only get a few odds and ends - everything else was NLA. I've been lucky and got a NOS weatherstrip for the driver's door off eBay, and one for the boot (trunk to you guys :D).

I'm still looking for the rest of the rubbers for mine.

Hey 13bVW.

Your 4 door 610 sedan appears not to have the J line trim around the side windows. Is that how 180B sedans were sold in AU???, or did you get those off?

Your name suggests a VW with a 13B rota, is that right?

yeh I also have a vw (manx beach buggy) with a 13b turbo its good for wipeing smiles off faces and putting smiles on others.

As for the 4 door door that is how it rolled out of the factory I bought it off a little old lady who had just won a new car. It had 83000 km's on the clock and plastic still on the rear door cards and sun visors.

6d1dz11.jpg

Andrew

Guest jaimesix
I'm using POR-15 for the underside of the car. Its brushed on, after preparing the bare metal with the special "Metal Prep" stuff they sell as well. Using it on the inside of the floorpan as well, and other random spots that are prone to rusting (like around the windscreens). I believe its actually an American product.

Its a bit expensive, but I like being able to just pour a little out of the can into another container, brush it on with a cheap paintbrush, then chuck the brush away. No cleaning sprayguns out when you finish, no wasting thinned down paint when you over-estimate how much you'll need when mixing it.

Once I've finished the whole underneath, I'll spray normal undercoat over the POR-15 rustproofing paint, then straighten it all up and spray the same colour as the rest of the car.

Unfortunately, Nissan AU don't have much in the way of parts for the 610. I went thru my parts manual a while back and made a 2 page list of part numbers for stuff I was after. Took it to the local Nissan dealer, and they could only get a few odds and ends - everything else was NLA. I've been lucky and got a NOS weatherstrip for the driver's door off eBay, and one for the boot (trunk to you guys :D).

I'm still looking for the rest of the rubbers for mine.

Hi Dave.

Thanks for the reply. POR-15 is an excellent product from what I heard. I am using it to protect the inside of the wheel wells as well as the underside of the fenders/wings. Also I am using it behind the apron/valance and the headlamp/radiator section.

Your work looks awesome and certainly that POR-15 plus undercoat will render that floor pan/underside extremely durable.

My 610 is amazingly in excellent shape underneath, my 710 for sure will need same treatment as your 180B.

About the parts....thats bad....I thought , perhaps because 180Bs were assembled in AU, good stock might be in existence. If you e ver find a stash of parts at some obscure automotive store, let me know.

Keep us posted. My ride will be on the road soon. I will show you some pictures.

Guest jaimesix
yeh I also have a vw (manx beach buggy) with a 13b turbo its good for wipeing smiles off faces and putting smiles on others.

As for the 4 door door that is how it rolled out of the factory I bought it off a little old lady who had just won a new car. It had 83000 km's on the clock and plastic still on the rear door cards and sun visors.

6d1dz11.jpg

Andrew

Cool!!! That is my other passion, rotary engines/cars. A rota dune buggy must be awesome!. That buggy must sow terror at the beaches over there...Bondy beach.....everybody move away!!!! ;)

Interesting to learn 4 door 180Bs came w/o the J lines factory. Zerow , take note, ( Zerow has a 4 door sedan....for sure the best sedan in this side of the Pacific ) just in case.

I have seen a dune Buggy at a friends' place , it is not running, would love to buy it and fix it up....rota included. Will make my best offer.

Jaime._________________________________________________________

Cool!!! That is my other passion, rotary engines/cars. A rota dune buggy must be awesome!. That buggy must sow terror at the beaches over there...Bondy beach.....everybody move away!!!! ;)

Interesting to learn 4 door 180Bs came w/o the J lines factory. Zerow , take note, ( Zerow has a 4 door sedan....for sure the best sedan in this side of the Pacific ) just in case.

I have seen a dune Buggy at a friends' place , it is not running, would love to buy it and fix it up....rota included. Will make my best offer.

Jaime._________________________________________________________

Thank You Jaime for the props. I have J-Line metal, it is separate from the door skin. I was going to run it black, in theme with the SSS model from UK/AU/JDM, but now I am thinking twice. I guess its about time for me to get out the "family photo album":

1043.jpg

This JDM shot has the J-Line painted silver. I like the stance on this one, just not the whole bulging tire thing...:rolleyes:

1971_610_4dr.jpg

JDM Dealer Shot, I think. None the less, there is a clearly defined difference in contrast with the paint and the J-line on this one.

B22021.jpg

AU specification dealer shot. (What a happy couple...) Anyhow, I was really thinking this blue color until I saw the new Versa Blue on a recent TV commercial (Ahhh, advertising)

And finally, my inspiration (of sorts)

oazs78.jpg

I love this shot, I just wish it were blue. Again, a clear shot of the J-line, silver in color.

If my history serves me correctly (and someone out there can prove me correct or not) but the silver paint was for Deluxe models and the black paint was for SSS. I just did not want my J-Lines to blend with the stainless trim on the doors, which this appears to have happen when silver. Thoughts, anyone???

If my history serves me correctly (and someone out there can prove me correct or not) but the silver paint was for Deluxe models and the black paint was for SSS. I just did not want my J-Lines to blend with the stainless trim on the doors, which this appears to have happen when silver. Thoughts, anyone???

only the jdm got black window frames, and those were on the gl & sss spec

my thoughts are that whether the exterior paint color is light or dark, that should decided the j-line color

orange/dk gray, dark blue/sil, etc ...

Guest jaimesix
2eDeYe;66404']mmmmmmmmmm Manx mmmmmmmmm

:cool:

Cool!!! I am always on the hunt for one.

110% fun.

only the jdm got black window frames, and those were on the gl & sss spec

my thoughts are that whether the exterior paint color is light or dark, that should decided the j-line color

orange/dk gray, dark blue/sil, etc ...

All right, that makes good sense. Silver J-lines on my dark blue car should do the trick. I'll go with more of an aluminum color, just so the trim doesn't blend into it too much

OMG what is a J line, I have no idea. I'm looking at those photos for black and silver things. and I have no idea what's going on. Help me out.

Your J-Lines are chrome. I might have pointed that out when I saw your car. Don't do anything with them except polish them out with Brasso or Mothers

Your J-Lines are chrome. I might have pointed that out when I saw your car. Don't do anything with them except polish them out with Brasso or Mothers

yes, take care of your j-line panels as they're made of thin metal

a buddy of mine once bead blasted them, and warped the shit out of them :mad:

whats the best way to remove them i wanna clean out the dirt underneath mine zerow told me a very thin putty knife but how do i get it off by the windows same method?

try a plastic putty knife first, because the plastic snaps will probably be crumbly and not need much force

looking for sensible family transport?

mw8420c.jpg

Darned right! The 4-Door sedan is the answer.

Other than the obvious post '73 fenders and bumpers, this is the car my dad bought 27 years ago; In fact I think he has a suit that matches the one in the photo in his closet right now...:mellow: