610s unite!!!!!!

bonvo

It didn't have "it", you know? And it never seem to catch on with speed freaks.

Seriously, no one ever seemed to want one of these until like 5 minutes ago. :P

I like them because it's like a more luxurious, better built 510. But it's also heavier, slower, and a face not everyone loves.

I'm hurt by this. I love it's little 4-eyed face...:D :D|||||||||:D :D

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is correct. That is a Southern California 610 that is in kept under suspended animation as we speak.

Nice body work though.

Jaime.__________________________________________________________

suspended animation? more like ... it's under a cover ... parked outside ... near the ocean :rollseyes:

Guest jaimesix
It didn't have "it", you know? And it never seem to catch on with speed freaks.

Seriously, no one ever seemed to want one of these until like 5 minutes ago. :P

I like them because it's like a more luxurious, better built 510. But it's also heavier, slower, and a face not everyone loves.

I challenge that concept. The 610 was a very well accepted car, and it was extensively used in road and off road racing all over the world.

The situation in the US was an artificial one in regard to Datsun vehicles.

In most of the world the Datsun 510 was sold with small version L series engines ( L13 , hence Datsun 1300 and L14, named Datsun 1500.) and with "J" series pushrod engines. The suspension in those 510 Datsuns of various denominations used leaf springs at the rear.

The Datsun Violet, (160J, 160JSSS, 160USSS ) was offered in many countries as a Datsun with L series engines and IRS rear suspension. This was the equivalent of the Datsun 710 with leaf springs as sold in USA.

The Datsun 610 was offered only in IRS suspension configuration and never carried push rod engines.

Under those circumstances, the Datsun Violet/160JSSS and the Datsun 610 ( 180B ) were the Datsun cars of choice for rallye competition and road races in most of Africa, Asia, Europe, South America and Australia.

The situation in the american market is an aberration of what happened in the rest of the world, the planet we live in.

It is a mistery why Datsun/Nissan decided to play it's cards in an unconventional manner within the US market.

The concept of being heavier, slower , and having a face that not everyone loves is relative to which part of the world we would chose to use as parameter. The entire planet Earth?? , or just one country out of the close to a hundred nations in existence?

Jaime._____________________________________________________;)

Guest jaimesix
suspended animation? more like ... it's under a cover ... parked outside ... near the ocean :rollseyes:

Datsuns have character, Datsuns have soul as in "Datsun Soul":) , Datsuns elicit feelings of affection, empathy,Datsuns are more than simple automobiles, which drives me to inferr that any Datsun stored under a car cover is a Datsun stored in "Suspended Animation";)

Jaime._________________________________________________________

I'm hurt by this. I love it's little 4-eyed face...:D:D|||||||||:D:D

Hey, I like them too! I had a new '76 B-210 so I was driving around when they were plentiful in Canada. They had the larger L series engines and the rear side pillar and shape (somewhat) reminds me of my old car. At least Datsun designed some shape into it and it wasn't a 'box' 510. Although the 510 does have it's own stand alone charms and following including me, the 610 is a rare treat for the eyes.

So keep talking about them boys, keep them alive. And more pictures.

The 610 was a very well accepted car, and it was extensively used in road and off road racing all over the world.

It is a mistery why Datsun/Nissan decided to play it's cards in an unconventional manner within the US market.

The concept of being heavier, slower, and having a face that not everyone loves is relative to which part of the world we would chose to use as parameter.

The entire planet Earth?? , or just one country out of the close to a hundred nations in existence?

Jaime._____________________________________________________;)

pretty philosophical here, so let's bring the subject back to earth:

1) the 610 was a well-accepted car just about everywhere it was marketed

but it was a purpose-built upmarket car. the 610 was the known as the bluebird-u in japan to distinguish itself from the 510 bluebird

it was bigger and heavier (and looked weird)

but the specific gripe is about the perception of 510, z and roadster owners, who make up the bulk of nostalgic datsun enthusiasts worldwide

2) no mystery to datsun's marketing: it sold a lot a 510's, more 610's and even more b210's

let's refocus: we're talking about the success of the BRE 510 which is the god of the 510 cult. sure BRE did mess with at least one 610, but that period of history that gave birth the the 510 cult was coming to a close

likewise in japan, the 510 came at the end of a generation which included the 240z, skyline hakosuka, and a heavy racing heritage

all that ended with the arab oil embargo, so the 610 missed it's chance for stardom. it was forever relegated to the "other" datsun category

before you disagree, how many 610 dominated race teams or race series existed?

3) it's perceived beauty. 510=boxy, ital-design, take your badges off and most people didn't know it was "jap junk"

610=mopar influenced, nissan-in house "corporate" design of the early 70's.

much derided in the by muscle-car pea brains until about 10 years ago when we see mopar products passing six-figures at barratt-jackson

4) thanks to the web, we now know that the 510 is worshiped not only in the usa, but in australia and of course japan (to a lesser degree)

however, as far as i can tell, there is no country that has more than a few 610 enthusiasts at any given time. in other words, there are no 610 clubs as far as we know

the 610 "renaissance" we're experience in the usa is a unique

even in australia, which seems to have the most 610's left of any country, the 610 still falls into the "couldn't find a 510 so i bought this" category

Guest jaimesix

3) it's perceived beauty. 510=boxy, ital-design, take your badges off and most people didn't know it was "jap junk"

610=mopar influenced, nissan-in house "corporate" design of the early 70's.

much derided in the by muscle-car pea brains until about 10 years ago when we see mopar products passing six-figures at barratt-jackson

This is a ......weird statement if not "outlandish":) . What has Mopar got to do with Datsun 610's???:confused:

This paragraph seems to be very biased....I understand....5 and a dime followers have a particular concept of the Datsun dynasty. Respect your opinion.

4) thanks to the web' date=' we now know that the 510 is worshiped not only in the usa, but in australia and of course japan (to a lesser degree)

however, as far as i can tell, there is no country that has more than a few 610 enthusiasts at any given time. in other words, there are no 610 clubs as far as we know[/quote']

Datsun 610 ( known as Datsun 180B down under , OZ) have a large following. Plenty of 180Bs in all stages of performance modification. There are 180Bs with L18 and L20B powerfull motors as well as FJ20s , SR20s, CADE and KA24 engine swapped Datsun 180Bs .Also a flete of Rotary powered Datsun 610s loiter the internet at australian sites and , nowadays, seen all around through You Tube. More importantly , the streets and race courses in AU bear witness to the cult the 180B Datsun has in there.

Australia has plenty of Datsun 180Bs in off road competition as well, and there are many in competition as we speak, year 2008.

The 510 following in Australia is a by product of the one and only country in the world where the Datsun 510 was the main attraction, the USA BRE series ( which included BRE prepared Datsun 610s and Datsun B210s as well.). Akin the case of the Nissan Sylvia/240 , which was a car of choice in Japan and Australia for a while, reputation which made it across the Pacific via internet, hence catching on with american enthusiasts. Sylvias/240 cars were disregarded as undesireble cars for a long, long time in this country.

The reduced number of Datsun 510 followers down under is not a genuine and native to Australia phenomena, but an imported cult. The same can be said about Japans fascination with the BRE series, well known is the fact that many Japanese youngsters find afinity with USA/american cultural icons.

the 610 "renaissance" we're experience in the usa is a unique

even in australia' date=' which seems to have the most 610's left of any country, the 610 still falls into the "couldn't find a 510 so i bought this" category[/quote']

I do not believe in any renaissance of the 610. I had my 610 since 2002 , when I had no contact with anyone having one. What you preceive as renaissance is nothing but the convergence of Datsun enthusiasts who happen to meet each other through the internet.

I had my car before meeting William, John, and other members, and William had his since it was his father's...and we could explore all the different cases to prove the attraction for the good lines and style the 610/180B has is a universal phenomena.

Get over it Barabuda.......the 610 is a real Japanese car, not an italian wannabee disowning of it's heritage and family ties thing.:)

Jaime._______________________________________________________

Gentlemen,

Lest we forget that the 610/1800 we received here in the North American market was assembled in Japan with Japanese components. Now, the Aussies have a particular love for the 180B as the Australian cars were assembled lin Australia, with Japanese components. Every country has an affinity for products produced by the local populace, and the 180B is no exception. I am sure that this is one of the multitude of reasons that the 180B has such longevity on the Australian continent.

I had a girlfriend years ago who's father detested me, until he dropped off his daughter at my place and saw me working on my 610. He actually got out of his truck to talk shop and help turn some wrenches with me. His story was that years ago he had an awesome little 510 two door in high school, that is until he got his girlfriend pregnant. His high school hot rod Datsun had to get traded in on a new '75 Datsun 610 wagon, to take care of his new family. As a result of this, and I am sure countless other similar stories, the 610, 710, and even 810s out there are the black sheep because of this coming of age event. Now flash forward: we are collecting the pieces of others misfortune and turning these cars into the hot rod Datsuns that they had the potential to be, all those years ago.

This is a ......weird statement if not "outlandish":) . What has Mopar got to do with Datsun 610's???:confused:

This paragraph seems to be very biased....I understand....5 and a dime followers have a particular concept of the Datsun dynasty. Respect your opinion.

Datsun 610 ( known as Datsun 180B down under , OZ) have a large following. Plenty of 180Bs in all stages of performance modification. There are 180Bs with L18 and L20B powerfull motors as well as FJ20s , SR20s, CADE and KA24 engine swapped Datsun 180Bs .Also a flete of Rotary powered Datsun 610s loiter the internet at australian sites and , nowadays, seen all around through You Tube. More importantly , the streets and race courses in AU bear witness to the cult the 180B Datsun has in there.

Australia has plenty of Datsun 180Bs in off road competition as well, and there are many in competition as we speak, year 2008.

The 510 following in Australia is a by product of the one and only country in the world where the Datsun 510 was the main attraction, the USA BRE series ( which included BRE prepared Datsun 610s and Datsun B210s as well.). Akin the case of the Nissan Sylvia/240 , which was a car of choice in Japan and Australia for a while, reputation which made it across the Pacific via internet, hence catching on with american enthusiasts. Sylvias/240 cars were disregarded as undesireble cars for a long, long time in this country.

The reduced number of Datsun 510 followers down under is not a genuine and native to Australia phenomena, but an imported cult. The same can be said about Japans fascination with the BRE series, well known is the fact that many Japanese youngsters find afinity with USA/american cultural icons.

I do not believe in any renaissance of the 610. I had my 610 since 2002 , when I had no contact with anyone having one. What you preceive as renaissance is nothing but the convergence of Datsun enthusiasts who happen to meet each other through the internet.

I had my car before meeting William, John, and other members, and William had his since it was his father's...and we could explore all the different cases to prove the attraction for the good lines and style the 610/180B has is a universal phenomena.

Get over it Barabuda.......the 610 is a real Japanese car, not an italian wannabee disowning of it's heritage and family ties thing.:)

Jaime._______________________________________________________

uh, sorry, i guess you had no clue what i was trying to say :blink:

but i have no idea what you're saying, so let's quit while we're ahead :lol:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know - I do like the Altima rims. I wanted the rims from a '98 200SX after I got out of high school. But, I got hung up on the fact that I would need them re-drilled for the correct bolt pattern. I scratched that idea.

Some of the Sentra wheels are the right bolt pattern. The 17" SE-R wheels for example. ;)

REALLY?! I had a friend in the Army w/ a SE-R. I loved his stock wheels, and they are the 5 spoke star pattern.

Good luck with that. ;)

Never kept a set of wheels on a car for more than 6 months... :P

(He continues to mumble, and now grumble...) Maybe he is right?!

up to you bro i like what your running on there now actually

Thank You, Bonvo, for the vote of confidence. And they look damn good on my 4 door.:D

Well here is my 610. Said to be a 1974 but I have reason to believe it is a 1973. Currently I call it the "$h!+box" because well it's a piece of crap.

0429080923b.jpg

The interior is in pretty good shape except for the "gangsta cool low riding MR2 seats" the PO installed. I can barely see over the dash, and I'm 6'1".

The entire wiring system is messed up. The PO used a lot of speaker wire to re wire most of the car.

The dissy is in backwards so I can not adjust the timing on the L18. And the rear air ride suspension does not work at all.