3 motor swap Q's....

what is a nap z bell, and why can i not use the stock 240sx tranny......i have an extra 240 for parts i will be pulling the wiring out of, and using the intake from.....also, if i get the truck ka oui pan, can i bolt that onto the 240 motor and bolt it in?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. NAP Z Bell= Transmission bellhousing from a NAPS-Z motor, Z20, Z22, Z24. Bellhousing being the front part of the transmission that connects the earbox to the engine (looks like a bell and houses the clutch?)

2. You certainly can use the 240sx transmisson. It is longer, so the driveshaft will NEED to be shortened, and you'll need bucket seats, because the shifter is going to move back something like 6-8 inches. I would recommend going this route, it'll just mean another $50-100 for driveshaft shortening, but you'll save on not having to by 2 more transmissions to piece together

3. No, but it can be done. You will need the pan and the pick-up tube. The front (shallow) part of the pan will need to be lowered an inch or so in order to clear the 240sx block's main bearing girdle. Be sure to figure out a dipstick though, you'll either need a cable "stick" or you'll have to redrill the block and relocate the entire dipstick assembly

Does that answer your questions?

OH! you'll need to make a new mount for the transmission. But really you should be able to slot the factory mount to gain you enough rearward movement

Here's an FS5W71C from a 240 sx behind it is an FS5W71B Z motor trans. Not too much difference in length.

I believe the Z and KA 'bell' bolt pattern is the same and that the double cam motors have different bells.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transFS5W71CandFS5W71B-1.jpg[/img]"]transFS5W71CandFS5W71B-1.jpg

the only way you'll be able to use the 240 oil pan is if you make a new center link for your steering (This is what BEEBANI did)

I would recommend getting the truck pickup tube and pan and modifying it to work. like I said though, you'll have to solve the dipstick problem, which shouldn't be too difficult.

"there is nothing i need besides the block right?" -I have NO idea what you mean.

If you use the 240 transmission, that's all you need. No bellhousing swap. I can't remember if the E and DE use the same transmission. I seem to recall that they do, but I could be wrong. You have a tranny in the car though, so how is this relevant?

you can use the truck block and head. I would say use whatever has the least amount of miles on it. seems kinda dumb to use a 200k mile motor when you have one with 75k on it.

either way, you WILL need the truck oil pan and pickup tube. Unless you want to make a new steering rod.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello there, First day and first question, I just buy a Datsun 1300 truck and I need some pars for it, where is a good place to start. also where can I post my truck picture.

Thanks and keep the good work.

Is this your first forum too? You don't post your question in someone else's thread. Start a new thread and specify what parts you are looking for.

As for the KA swap... :blink: not gonna happen

The truck pan can be dollied to clear the "frying pan" as I call it :D Thats what Frank did on the orange truck. The only reason I used all the different parts is so the swap would be as "bolt in" as it can be. Which it turns out its not really :D

All the KA bells are the same, so is the FJ, and Nap Z. I used the "old tranny" so I wouldn't have to mod the DL, and the mount fits perfect. I hate making shifter covers.....

You could use the truck injection, I didn't because it looked like a bitch to wire up :D

well i have the head and intake and everything from the car....im getting another block as the head gasket blew on the 240 so the bearings are wiped clean...imma mill the head and rebuild it, and paint all the intake parts and valve cover so it looks good while i ammas all the rest of the motor, lol. i have the complete wiring too....

If the headgasket blew, and caused the bearings trouble, than the head is probably fucked. Gotta think it must have been run with a bad HG for a while.

amen brother! very seldom hear of a bad hg causing bearing trouble, let alone any problems with the bottom end. Usually if you catch it soon enough, you can avoid warping the head.

Sell the car, buy a hardbody engine/transmission combo, use those.

If you happened to have all good parts and did a lot of research on the swap, you'd be able to pull it off. But, by the sounds of it, it'll take a lot of time and money to get what you want to work. There's KA's constantly being sold up here with transmissions for about $1000, and that's more expensive than buying one in the states. I suggest that you stop, look at what you have, figure out what's good, what's usable, and what needs work, and then just make a list and post it here. Then you can figure out whether it'll be cheaper/easier to just buy another good engine.