lifting cab from frame

dirtydiesel

whats the best picking point to safely lift a 521 cab off the frame with out cuasing damage to the roof and such. the only time i have picked up a vehicle with a hoist like abject was my old explorer with a boom truck and a strap thru the windows. kinked evrything (it was scrap tho). some insight would be much apprecaited.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you've already stated never lift through a vehicle. It is best to run a support beam under the cab and strap to it. You can also jack it up and support with jack stands and roll the chassis out. When I pulled my cab off my 620KC I connected a chain to the lower part of the core support and hoisted with an engine hoist, then used a 4x4 in the back and me and a buddy simply lifted the back and walked with it while my brother steered the engine hoist.

This is something I have some experience doing. I usually use the seat belts for the back, and an automobile hoist for the front, I raise the cab slowly going from front to back. I used to use the seatbelt mount holes and a 4X4 in the tunnel, wrap the chain around the 4X4, route the chain threw the shifter hole, up threw the engine hoist hook and back down to the seatbelt mount holes, I would raise the back of the cab threw the open door with the engine hoist then pick up the front by hand and put a 8' wide saw horse under the front cab mounts then lower the back on to the wide saw horse in the rear. This way I was able to roll the frame out from under the cab once the cab was resting on the sawhorses, the sawhorses were tall enough to roll the frame out with engine still in place, except on the 4WD frames.

I typically use a piece of equiptment like a front end loader or backhoe. In that case, run a large timber through the cab with the doors removed or atleast open. Connect chokers/chain to each end of the timber and one or two to the front clip around the radiator support area with softeners (towels, pillows, or anything to cushion the steel). Lift slowly, keeping an eye on the conection points to make sure nothing is under too much stress and the chokers don't slip. Once it's up, you can kinda do what you want with it. I learned this technique from the 1976 Datsun Factory Service Manual, and it has worked quite well for me.

Good Luck. Be Careful.

thanks guys. i just didnt want to end up picking at a point where i might kink something. or twist whats left of the body.

Stumbled onto this the other day in the FSM pdf~ it showed a special tool being used, but the end result is the same. It show the cab being lifted at four points: with the doors open/removed the two rear points are the roof in the door jambs, and the two fronts on the radiator support. I recommend as far rearward as practicable in the jambs, and as wide as practicable on the rad support~ giving solid points with less flexion in the sheetmetal.

Mike (mklotz) has a great *plan B* as well!

Scott

thanks i used the seat belt floor mounts. bolted on engine picking chains. used a strap. and lifted the rear with a fork lift. the front i used a nother fork lift wit a chain fall hooked up to engine lifting chains connected to the rad sup. worked very well.