Used Trans Quality Testing.

I have become quite the collector of L series transmissions lately and thought it would be a good idea to brainstorm on some tests for a used transmission when you pull one at a yard or buy one from parties unknown. Here is my list of easy first checks:

1. Grab in the input shaft, turn & shake it to check for 'play' in the bearings. If it wobbles up,down,left,& right front bearing is not in good shape. Harder to do in the back a much lesser problem but still kinda possible.

2. Twist the input shaft and listen for 'grinding' 'scratching' or stiff spots.

3. Bring a shift lever with you and run the tranny through the gears to see how the 'click' If you dont have a extra shift lever you can use 2 screwdrivers in a pinch, one through the eye holes as a fulcrum and the other as the actual lever.

4. If it has fluid, drain into a clear plastic tub and look for metal 'bits, bobs, & chunks' Also inspect the drain plug magnet for how much 'metal fuzz' is stuck to it and how big the particles. Bigger particles is ummmm bad ;)

5. Visually inspect the 'seals & seams' and any obvious leaking points along the tranny for oil smears and stains. Dry trannys are happy girls!

6. I made a transmission drill adapter so I could fill up a tranny with fluid while out of the car and 'drive it' with the drill to listen for any gear whine and test gear mesh while spinning. Looks like this:

Car320.jpg

There has to be some other 'Ratsun' tests I'm leaving out! I am trying to focus on tests you can preform while the transmission is whole. Breaking into the tranny is a whole other adventure!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic