Old Enkeis

Picked up these Old School Enkeis yesterday for my 620/J30 Frankenbuild. Had to sell all my six lug wheels and get some 5x4.5s to fit the Infiniti lug pattern.

IMG_20110601_101151.jpg

They are farely straight, but have a little bit of curb rash around the edges, and two of them have some bends in the outer lip. This is the worst one.

IMG_20110601_101205.jpg

IMG_20110601_101240.jpg

My question to Ratsun's wheel gurus is; Should I attempt to knock these bends out myself, and if so how? or should I find a pro to repair them for me?

I know little about alluminum. I'm a steel guy.

Thanks in advanced for the advice.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure that or a block of wood between them and a real hammer would knock it out, I know steel would be fine after being beat back into shape. I was wondering if there was a danger of cracking the aluminum.

I figure that or a block of wood between them and a real hammer would knock it out, I know steel would be fine after being beat back into shape. I was wondering if there was a danger of cracking the aluminum.

the aluminum could crack but going by the pics I dont think u will have that problum. try rounding the block of wood so that it maches the contour of the wheel to evenly distribute the blow of the hammer.

Body dolly and hammers, heat the metal up slightly too much will cause it to weaken and bend again or crack.

If anything send them to a local wheel shop shouldn't be too expensive if you were in Cali i could repair and full polish the whole set for around 275.

That's my biggest fear. I'm far from being made of money. Got these cheap off of a guy who was putting new breaks on his '55 Belaire and couldn't run 14s anymore. Planning to pollish them up myself with standard alumibrite junk and a Mother's Powerball. I can heat them if needed. I have a oxy/acetylene torch rig or I can get a heat gun. I just don't know how to read aluminum. If they were steel, I wouldn't bother asking. I can tell how hot steel is by the color of the flame from my torch. Aluminum on the other hand tends to melt if too hot, or crack if not heated properly, and I am afraid of it.

P.S. worse comes to worst, I can always run them as they are but shinier. They hold air now. I'd like to keep them that way.

That's my biggest fear. I'm far from being made of money. Got these cheap off of a guy who was putting new breaks on his '55 Belaire and couldn't run 14s anymore. Planning to pollish them up myself with standard alumibrite junk and a Mother's Powerball. I can heat them if needed. I have a oxy/acetylene torch rig or I can get a heat gun. I just don't know how to read aluminum. If they were steel, I wouldn't bother asking. I can tell how hot steel is by the color of the flame from my torch. Aluminum on the other hand tends to melt if too hot, or crack if not heated properly, and I am afraid of it.

P.S. worse comes to worst, I can always run them as they are but shinier. They hold air now. I'd like to keep them that way.

you can a tempil stick at a welding supply place. it melts at a certain temp