hella headlights

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They will probably physically fit just fine. Remove the headlight covers, remove the rings that hold the lights in the lamp holders, put the new lights back in.

That was the easy part.

The fuse box on a stock 521 was barely adequate, for a stock 521, when it was new. Add any extra loads to it, and you are asking for trouble. A quick fix is to add a relay, and an extra fuse, bypassing the original fuse box.

Extra fuse.

NewRelayB.jpg

And here is where I put the extra relay.

NewHeadlightrelay.jpg

The relay is wired like this. The stock headlight power wire, coming from the cab is red with a yellow stripe. That wire goes to pin 86 on the new relay. Pin 85 is grounded. That is the black wire you see looping under the original relay in the picture. Pin 30 on the new relay goes to the extra fuse in the first picture. There is a short jumper wire from pin 87 on the new relay, to the pin on the old relay you pulled the stock red with yellow wire from.

This is the voltage drop in the stock headlight circuit.

VoltageDropStock.jpg

And this is the voltage drop with the added relay.

VoltageDropRelay.jpg

The stock alternator in a 521 is 35 amps. You should do something about that also. There are many threads on alternator upgrades in this forum.

Hella kit HEL-71456 is the kit that will do you low beam headlights. This kit comes with the replacement lens assembly and the new bulb for the high/low.

This kit would has a lens that would fit in the high beam only position also, but it has a pattern that would not be the best for the high beam. And you would need a different bulb.

I would not even consider putting these headlights in anything wothout a relay installed.

I used these in my 620 with relays and it made a huge difference.

Good luck.

I have Hella and Cibie H4 housings( H4s are the outer lamps) has 2 bulbs for Low and High but mainly this upgrade is to get better LOW beams.

A relay harness is a must. The harness will have 2 relays. one for the Low beam and one for the hight beam.

The H4 harness will plug in to the outer light connector. this will be used as a trigger then then the new lamps plug in harness.

on 521 you got to dissemble the connector to get it thru the hole. Also for soem reason 521 are NOT switchable ground as a 510 so the harness has a mid way connector that you can make the harness a switchable power by adding a jumper in the correct spot.

read and save this

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml#OnLineOrdering

On a 510 this harness I got is pretty much a plug in and 15mins later it was working.

521s its a little more involved as you have to make a jumper to make it switchable power since a 521 is different for some FUCKING reason.

they are other harness out there some are better than others. these ones I have seen go for 20$ on ebay.

Most times you just need the 2 headlite harness as youll need it for the LOW beam(55watt) since the stock one is a lame 35watt.

you order the H4 as that the type of plug you have. with this harness you can run any H4 bulb. I was running 80/100s in there but it hard on the alternator at idle. maybe run everything else off(wipers ,heater ect....)

These will have 2 relays one for the Lowbeam/one for the HIGH beam as the H4 has 2 elements

There is a 4 headlamp harness which will use another relay for the H1 inner lamp housing but dont think that is needed as the inner lamp is usaully a 55 watt lamp anyways.

youll also have to adjust the lamp up higher as the Lowbeam lamp only really using half the housing and there a like a z beam. so raise it to get the full spead on the road but not high to get in peoples eyes or rear view mirrow