Really Ratty Rusty Ruby Ruined & Rotting RIP

dry sump an L16..... Lean it over like 20 degrees and use whatever transmission orients correctly to it.

Until it hits a crusher it's not ruined, or beyond repair. Do what makes you happy INDY.

No only that, but as long as you have a good enough skid plate you could have the engine 1/2 inch off the ground. You don't have to settle for a non-datsun engine, just open your mind to other solutions.

Also by bringing the firewall back 4 inches more you could gain the clearance needed without crazy modifications to the engine.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one that's really out there. Channel it over a Type1 V-Dub pan. You can rock crazy rear camber if you want, a narrowed front beam to tuck the tires in as much as you need, lots of air ride support etc. Think Volksrod with a 510 skin.

Here's one that's really out there. Channel it over a Type1 V-Dub pan. You can rock crazy rear camber if you want, a narrowed front beam to tuck the tires in as much as you need, lots of air ride support etc. Think Volksrod with a 510 skin.

I was thinking this...

But a VW engine... Someting about having a L16 has better appeal.

Also the bolt pattern would be all wrong. 

I was thinking this...

But a VW engine... Someting about having a L16 has better appeal.

Also the bolt pattern would be all wrong. 

I know this is going to sound weird but on something that radical I think the wide 5 lug wheels would rock. I don't mind mixing it up with car brands. Purist to Datsun won't respect something this butchered anyway.

C32-RD52S-17-2_zps08645366.jpg

BRM_zps4394613c.jpg

ACC-C10-6654-S-5_zps91644f1d.jpg

I didnt like this idea at first, but you could take it a step further and do an adapter plate to mount the L20 to the VW transaxle too... You can find, Subaru boxer engines, toyota engines, and even the turbocoupe engines hanging off the transaxle.

In reality though, it's not too far gone to fix. INDY could still mount a datsun/nissan engine in that engine bay and still finish the frame.

I suspect this has become more like the old joke - "How do you keep an asshole in suspense?"

AND - I can't believe that I've never realized before but - This car epitomizes what we define as RATSUN. The only reason it evokes anger is because it's not currently operational.

indy you have a few options for engines a boxer or rotary boxer can be had cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap by finding a subi in a junk yard early transmissions are easy to make rear wheel drive  or fo all out with an early subi front subframe and make it awd its very doable especially because you have a welder 

I think INDY is sticking to a fundamental principle that the exterior appearance will not be changed, albeit the bottom 4 inches of sheetmetal is technically part of the exterior appearance.

We can agree that once the right solution presents itself this project will go forward. If I had the time or money I would pay a visit and help him get back on track, I know this damn car can be fixed, and still be datsun and within the parameters of INDY's vision.

indy you have a few options for engines a boxer or rotary boxer can be had cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap by finding a subi in a junk yard early transmissions are easy to make rear wheel drive  or fo all out with an early subi front subframe and make it awd its very doable especially because you have a welder 

The problem is on F AWD drive train the engine hangs wayy to far over the nose, or the assembly is too tall.  I won't fit right in the 510 engine bay.

See why the BRZ isnt/cant be an AWD.  The hood is too low!

If going the VW route, I vote for mounting an L16 to the transaxle if he does not put a golfcart motor there. 

The problem with that is, with how tall indy is he would already be sitting in the back seat... so not much room for the engine depending on what he puts back there.

something with a FWD transmission transversely mounted maybe?  Maybe a KA FWD trans on an L16 ????

I can just imagine a 4-2 header with straight victory pipes coming out the back...

... a street bike motor would be way more than enough.

Old 1.8 liter subi motor is too wide for any suspention,

I like the I beam front suspentiin some one mnntioned, keep it simple, stupid simple. I think at this point you should make it like an Odyssey, the atv not the mini van.

Snomobile motor and centrifugal clutch. One speed is more than enough to knock all the welds of this bitch.

• Like 1
The problem is on F AWD drive train the engine hangs wayy to far over the nose, or the assembly is too tall.  I won't fit right in the 510 engine bay.

See why the BRZ isnt/cant be an AWD.  The hood is too low!

If going the VW route, I vote for mounting an L16 to the transaxle if he does not put a golfcart motor there. 

only if he went all out awd if you convert the older 4wd trannsmission to a rear wheel drive only ans set then engine back problem solved 

I thought I wouldnt post in here, because Im still under the impression that nothings going to happen with this anymore no matter how many time people keep bumping this thread with "Ill only believe it when its in the scrapper" posts, but if it does continue, I would would hate to see all this work for naught. Id hate to see some ridiculous engine set in the rear of the car or stupid golf kart engine. 

I understand height is an issue, but it would be nice that even after all this work you can keep it Nissan/Datsun. Just make a dry sump A15 engine and run that. If need be, raise the trans tunnel a few inches for the driveshaft. 

After all this work, it would be nice to keep it as Datsun as possible as you wanted to drive a slammed 510 and not a some ridiculous hybrid vehicle made of rusty sheet metal. 

I understand height is an issue, but it would be nice that even after all this work you can keep it Nissan/Datsun. Just make a dry sump A15 engine and run that. If need be, raise the trans tunnel a few inches for the driveshaft. 

there is no trans tunnel....

it looks like the driveshaft sits above the frame.

Dry sump A15?

A single straight pipe per exhaust port. DOOIIIITTT

• Like 1
there is no trans tunnel....

it looks like the driveshaft sits above the frame.

Dry sump A15?

A single straight pipe per exhaust port. DOOIIIITTT

Obviously there is no current tunnel... :rolleyes:

Realy, you should make a rigit suspension trailer out of it. Tow it behind a slammed 710 wagon.

That would be sweet. Make a quick sheet metal floor and use it to haul stuff to and from Datsun swap meets. Then install a grill in the trunk to cook up burgers.

• Like 1
... a street bike motor would be way more than enough. Old 1.8 liter subi motor is too wide for any suspention, I like the I beam front suspentiin some one mnntioned, keep it simple, stupid simple. I think at this point you should make it like an Odyssey, the atv not the mini van. Snomobile motor and centrifugal clutch. One speed is more than enough to knock all the welds of this bitch.

YEAAAAAAAHHHHSSSSHHHH. :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: 

Obviously there is no current tunnel... :rolleyes:

That would be sweet. Make a quick sheet metal floor and use it to haul stuff to and from Datsun swap meets. Then install a grill in the trunk to cook up burgers.

:thumbup: 

Either one of these two choices  = WIN FOREVER.

Btw many stock 800 snowmobile motors make 150hp..........just sayin.   :ninja: