Installing 510 rear disks

datto510

Got tired of seeing my dime on jacks stands so after 8 months I finally broke down and bought the pieces to do a rear disk swap. I used 86 Maxima calipers, 83 200sx rotors, EDP conversion brackets and Datsun Parts LLC brake hoses. All and all not a tough swap- pretty easy actually. I still need to figure out the best way to maintain the factory e-brake.

I cut the backing plate off of the car to avoid disassembling the rear hub. I used a 4in cutting wheel and finished it off with a cold chisel. Then I installed ARP wheel studs.

DSCN0731.jpg

Aaron has a new one piece design for his brackets and I got to be the guinea pig. Here is the bracket mocked up on top.

DSCN0735.jpg

DSCN0734.jpg

I mounted mine on the bottom to allow me access to the e-brake pull.

DSCN0738.jpg

DSCN0739.jpg

The passenger brake hose hooks to the 3 way block attached to the underside of the car.

DSCN0741.jpg

The drivers side hose hooks to the stock hose.

DSCN0732.jpg

Bolt everything up with lock washers and a little loctite and you are ready to roll!

DSCN0739.jpg

DSCN0738.jpg

DSCN0737.jpg

Your dime now has rear disk brakes!

• Like 2
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those calipers look AMAZINGLY similar to the 03+ tiburon rear calipers...

Will this set up work on a wagon too?

Now, do you think you'll have issues with air getting trapped in the caliper with that orientation? I'm thinking no, but thought I would ask.

Nice! Do your 14's clear??

Fits perfect with 14s!

Those calipers look AMAZINGLY similar to the 03+ tiburon rear calipers...

Will this set up work on a wagon too?

Now, do you think you'll have issues with air getting trapped in the caliper with that orientation? I'm thinking no, but thought I would ask.

I'm not sure if this kit works on a wagon. Mabye need different brake lines?

So how do you plan to bleed the system with the bleeders at the bottom. :) I know it canbe done, just curious of your method.. :D

I bled the system with the calipers off of the car. Thats the only drawback I have found from mounting them on the bottom.

Datto,Can you mount these on the top?????? if the e brake part is removed

as for bleeding you can loosly put the calper on the top then bleed then slide it off the rotor and put on bottom,I would hope.

also thinking if you had 3 people and just put a lONG clear hose in some brake fluid already and always fill the master that you could still bleed it from the bottom so you can tell if all the airbubbles are gone. Cause airbubbles traveln back up the line is going to be alot slower than a Master cylinder pushing a while lot of fluid it somebody is filling it up right away.

Aaron did a good job on them. Too bad your car dont go fast enough to even use it

Do you think you'll have occasional ground clearance issues with that setup?

Everything tucks nicely inside of the wheel. I'll get some pics shortly.

Does the caliper have to be on the bottom like that?

Looks like it needs to be in order to clear the strut?

It can mount either way. I mounted on the bottom so I can adapt a e-brake.

Datto,Can you mount these on the top?????? if the e brake part is removed

as for bleeding you can loosly put the calper on the top then bleed then slide it off the rotor and put on bottom,I would hope.

also thinking if you had 3 people and just put a lONG clear hose in some brake fluid already and always fill the master that you could still bleed it from the bottom so you can tell if all the airbubbles are gone. Cause airbubbles traveln back up the line is going to be alot slower than a Master cylinder pushing a while lot of fluid it somebody is filling it up right away.

Aaron did a good job on them. Too bad your car dont go fast enough to even use it

I took the rotor and caliper off and laid both on the ground. The rotor was still between the pads when I was bleeding. I had my father-n-law do the pedal and filling work while I did the calipers.

The brakes are set up for when the car does go fast!

Ive been running my rear brakes like this for years with ZERO issues. Once they are bled, you basically forget they are there. E-brake setup still works great too. I live on a horrible dirt road, and have had no clearance issues of any kind.

GEDC2851.jpg

GEDC2854.jpg

GEDC2857.jpg

I do notice that your control arms have more clearance for the e-brake pivot than mine. Mine are 68 arms. Guess thats the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got tired of seeing my dime on jacks stands so after 8 months I finally broke down and bought the pieces to do a rear disk swap. I used 86 Maxima calipers, 83 200sx rotors, EDP conversion brackets and Datsun Parts LLC brake hoses. All and all not a tough swap- pretty easy actually. I still need to figure out the best way to maintain the factory e-brake.

I cut the backing plate off of the car to avoid disassembling the rear hub. I used a 4in cutting wheel and finished it off with a cold chisel. Then I installed ARP wheel studs.

DSCN0731.jpg

Aaron has a new one piece design for his brackets and I got to be the guinea pig. Here is the bracket mocked up on top.

DSCN0735.jpg

DSCN0734.jpg

I mounted mine on the bottom to allow me access to the e-brake pull.

DSCN0738.jpg

DSCN0739.jpg

The passenger brake hose hooks to the 3 way block attached to the underside of the car.

DSCN0741.jpg

The drivers side hose hooks to the stock hose.

DSCN0732.jpg

Bolt everything up with lock washers and a little loctite and you are ready to roll!

DSCN0739.jpg

DSCN0738.jpg

DSCN0737.jpg

Your dime now has rear disk brakes!

nice brackets i make my coil-overs different to eliminate the ring i also make parts now for the b210

hhmm, im gana have to mess around with my spare b210 rear now, backing plate brackets look the same. How does the master keep up?

hey i see you have a B210 i make adjustable a arms and tc. rods also bump steer spacers let me know if you need any i can only send pic to phone or email thanks

• 2 months later...