wtb A14 headers

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read of warnings on Bill's Datsun header for B210 and also have read that Japam and.Australia have headers for right hand drive cars. Any arguments?

Any who, I was hoping for one directly off a b210 for less than $275.

No arguments. Just keep in mind that A14 headers sold in USA may not fit your B210. That was a common problem. This is the complaint about Bill's, they might need some tweaking. It was the same during the 1980s with some brands of headers. You might need to dent them or pound them with a hammer to get them to fit.

It is for a street car. I am doing everything I can to lessen the weight. I figure the header has to way a bit less than the stock manifold. Practical, I doubt it. Do I need it, probably not. Do I want it, yes. So I am going to find one and put in my 78 B210 GX.

Here is my .02 worth. Have one of the bills datsun headers. Yes you do need to hammer some dents in them to get them to fit usually around the steering box. Yes you do need to do some grinding on them to get them fit flush to the head( I'll admit I probably could have worked mine better but didn't). Just this past weekend (or the one before) I switched back to the original manifold and I feel that the car has more punch than it did with the header. If you want I could put the header and the manifold on a scale and see what the difference is.

I am running an A12, stock exhaust and intake, 2" exhaust. Was gonna take the header in this morning and weigh it but spaced so gonna put it in the car now. Gotta split the other manifold setup so won't be able to weigh that till Tuesday. Oh, and the carb is stock (bought new OEM 3 or 4 years ago).

Edit: Having read back through this thread I realized you are looking for A14 stuff and I am running A12 :blink: :blink: but I'll still weigh both of them as I can't see that there would be too much difference in weight.

In the "78", it has a 78hp A14 with a weber 32/36 and installing a 1.75 exhuast. Not long ago I pulled a intake/exhuast/carb combo off a "77" B210 and it was incredibly heavy. That and the fact that the thread showing the B210 MPG champion runs a header,

also.

was able to split the int/exh mani's before I went to work yesterday so........

the header weighs in at 7 lbs

the stock exh mani weighs in at 11.5 lbs

the stock mani is off a '73 A12 motor(for reference). I wouldn't think that there is too much difference in weight between the 72-73 and 77-78 (or A12 vs A14). Hope this is helping.

No arguments. Just keep in mind that A14 headers sold in USA may not fit your B210. That was a common problem. This is the complaint about Bill's, they might need some tweaking. It was the same during the 1980s with some brands of headers. You might need to dent them or pound them with a hammer to get them to fit.

I can verify this. I have one of Bill's headers and had to hammer it to clear the steering box with my A12. When I swapped in my A15 and 5-speed I had to do some clearancing by the bellhousing. I also had to weld and grind at the flange to fix a persistent leak. Mine came in a Thunderbird box and the newspapers used for packing were dated 1978. They are what they are. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of options out there. Sorry, I don't have a spare to sell but I wanted you to be an informed consumer.

On a side note, when I bought mine off eBay (from Bill's) the opening bid was $150 and I was the only one. I don't think I would have been very satisfied paying any more than that. I picked it up in person. He's VERY proud of his products and his "skills".

People are not knocking down his doors to buy his headers, he has had them for a long time, they are still in his inventory for a reason. I went and looked at one of the headers 3 or 4 years ago, they wouldn't work for my custom application, I listened to him for a while and left his establishment, and have not went back since.

Probably not interested in selling the header right now, but might be at the end of summer. Thinking about building another motor and using it on that. If you want I can post up pics of where we had to beat mine into submission so you have an idea as to how much hammerin your in for :D

Ya, that does help. I could be wrong, but I think the b210 ex manifold is heavier. The one I had picked up in the past had to way more than 11.5 lbs. Probably not much more though I am guessing around 20 lbs.

FWIW, the late B210 exhaust manifold is a good bit heavier than a 1200 exhaust manifold (has a lot more smog stuff on it). But you could save a bit of weight by just switching to the 1200 manifold? :P

FWIW #2, when my shop mate Tim had his head ported and flow-benched we decided to flow bench two headers (small port shorty and large port long-tube) versus the stock 1200 manifold. Up to 6000-6200rpm, the stock exhaust manifold out-flowed both headers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.