Dummy light came on 2 days ago...

hoopty

My oil light came on 2 days ago and wont seem to turn off....:blink:

I just put a weber on a week ago and was floored by the improved response of my l16, i actually got it to burn out :cool:

Any ways, I did my oil about a month ago and cant seem think of why my dummy light came on, hopefully its nothing internal. I was just wondering if it is possible my sensor is bad/missleading, has this ever happened to anyone here, and come to find out their sensor took a shit?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oil is oil for the most part. if ur lights on there is an issue. the sensor is seeing less tha 5lbs, cood be the sensor failing, cood be something blocking an oil passage way, cood be a failing oil pump, cood be the motor coming apart due to the recent flogging of said burnout and such. hook up a mechanical oil gauge to it to be sure u have oil pressure. if there isnt oil pressure dont rev it to see if it will get some, u will just do more damage.

i did its right at the high mark where it was a month ago when i filled it

ya that was a month ago, go check your oil to see what its at now.

having less that ~5lbs of oil pressure is a bad thing :blink:

then you have a faulty sensor, faulty oil pump, or a blockage somewhere.

a new oil pressure sender is only like $11

does it come on and then go off when you first turn the key to acc before you start it

Pull the wire off the sender... It's mid way up the block between dip stick and oil filter. Yellow wire with red stripe.

If it goes out, it's the sender or lack of pressure.

If it stays on then the wire is touching ground somewhere between the sender and the dash light.

Fix this or you will be hoopty

• Like 1

I already am hoopty :P

my oil light is the light i am talking about, i already tested if it was electrical and it goes off when disconnected and it does go on and off with ignition, it turns off for probably 15 seconds when started and comes back on. I am buying a new sensor off rock auto, i bought the 720 sender for an electrical gauge addition. now i just need a gauge

i'm thinking its isn't the sensor though...:(

those oil prssure swithc should be had locally in a parts store.PLUS they are the correct thread. NAPA should be able to get one sooner than Rockauto.

also to let you now the thread hole is a 1/8 BSP size this mean you should get a adapter . cause most gauge jkits sold are 1/8 NPT.

So dont be a real Hoptie and instal a 1/8 NPT in a 1/8 BSP. its close but dont put it in the block and it snapps off.

If the 720 sender is from a nissan block already then yes it should fit fine.

If the light turns off, then back on that's usually a sign the oil is REALLY low. You say it's full, so there are a few possibilities:

1) You have the wrong dipstick and only have 1 quart of oil in it

2) The oil pickup tube is broke off in the pan, so it only picks up 1-2" of oil when full

3) The sender is bad

4) The oil is turning to foam (which could be caused by a bad mix of different oils or incompatible pour-in additives)

5) The oil pump's pressure relief valve is opening way too soon

6) The oil pump is totally worn out

Me, I'd change the sender, but before I did that I'd put a mechanical gauge on it to verify there really is oil pressure.

• Like 1

open the oil camp while it's running. if you see the splashing around oil pressure is probably fine. Get a send unit if the oil coverage looks good.

sending units are prone to failure, pumps not so much in regular driving.(not continuous racing)

• 3 months later...

My oil light came on 2 days ago and wont seem to turn off....:blink:

I just put a weber on a week ago and was floored by the improved response of my l16, i actually got it to burn out :cool:

Any ways, I did my oil about a month ago and cant seem think of why my dummy light came on, hopefully its nothing internal. I was just wondering if it is possible my sensor is bad/missleading, has this ever happened to anyone here, and come to find out their sensor took a shit?

I have a freshly rebuilt L16 with a 5 speed and i cant get it to burn out. Mine just bogs down when try to burn out and it bounces like crazy.