Pic of a 521 without front fenders on?

OKC521

Anyone have a picture of thier 521, or just a 521 in general, that does not have the front fenders on? Preferably a side profile pic if possible, but I'm not trying to be too picky. My truck is packed away in the garage with a lot of stuff piled on top of it, otherwise I'd pull a fender off. I'm curious how far the firewall sticks out in front of the door. I'm playing with the idea of taking the 6.0L V8 out of my wrecked 2004 GMC 2500, and making a ratrod (not fond of that term, since it's overplayed, but what else are you going to call it?) out of my 1970 521. I can draw up some renderings of the truck and play with some ideas regarding suspension, wheels, etc., but I'd like to see the firewall in relation to the front of the door. Thinking about a control arm front suspension with coilovers. Most people push the front suspension forward a lot when building this type of truck, but I'm thinking about going forward only a few inches. Bring the rear wheels a bit closer to the cab, narrow the bed a bit, and bring the tailgate forward to just behind the rear tires. Have a nice low and wide stance, with the inside of the wheels a couple inches from being flush with the outside of the body. 18's in front and 20's in the rear. Short, wide, and more than enough power from the V8 should make for a fun ride. What do you think? Don't forget about the pics if you have them! Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The firewall is about 14 inches ahead of the front edge of the door.

the back edge of the radiator support is about 29 inches in front of the firewall, not counting any lips on the fire wall that stick into the engine compartment.

I should have been a little more clear on my intentions. My idea is to run the cab and bed only. No front sheet metal at all. Open frame rails (which I will build from scratch). I'll have plenty of room for the V8 then. Narrow the bed a bit and have the rear wheels outside of the bedsides. Google Image "ratrod truck" and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. I was also thinking about maybe cutting the cab in half so that you would have a front half and a back half. Then I could stretch the cab 6-8" to gain a bit of room inside the cab. Basically making an extended cab without having the extended part behind the door. The door glass is flat, so having some cut shouldn't be a problem. The truck does not run. Well, it somewhat did when I bought it. It fired up with starting fluid and jumper cables. When I got further into it, someone had rigged some parts on the carburator. Not sure what the intention was there, but I scrapped it. Someone had also tried to do some repairs to the front brakes, but parts are missing, and when you roll the truck, the pads will sometimes bind up and cause the truck to stop. Then you have to back it up, and then you can roll forward again. Bedsides have a good bit of bondo. Interior is really clean though. Good trim, seat, and headliner. The grille is in great shape. I'm rambling. This is all just an idea. I have this Datsun in the garage and a wrecked V8 fullsize truck in the driveway. I could potentially create a fun little truck. Just curious what others thought.

I should have been a little more clear on my intentions. My idea is to run the cab and bed only. No front sheet metal at all. Open frame rails (which I will build from scratch). I'll have plenty of room for the V8 then. Narrow the bed a bit and have the rear wheels outside of the bedsides. Google Image "ratrod truck" and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. I was also thinking about maybe cutting the cab in half so that you would have a front half and a back half. Then I could stretch the cab 6-8" to gain a bit of room inside the cab. Basically making an extended cab without having the extended part behind the door. The door glass is flat, so having some cut shouldn't be a problem. The truck does not run. Well, it somewhat did when I bought it. It fired up with starting fluid and jumper cables. When I got further into it, someone had rigged some parts on the carburator. Not sure what the intention was there, but I scrapped it. Someone had also tried to do some repairs to the front brakes, but parts are missing, and when you roll the truck, the pads will sometimes bind up and cause the truck to stop. Then you have to back it up, and then you can roll forward again. Bedsides have a good bit of bondo. Interior is really clean though. Good trim, seat, and headliner. The grille is in great shape. I'm rambling. This is all just an idea. I have this Datsun in the garage and a wrecked V8 fullsize truck in the driveway. I could potentially create a fun little truck. Just curious what others thought.

Your intentions were totally clear.

That, my friend, is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Much thanks! So, now that the pictures are taken care of, what about opinions on my potential build?

It's been a while since I last looked (or cared to look) under the hood of anything so new, but I can tell you this~ a small block chevy will shoehorn in (via measurements ONLY~ I have not done this swap yet!), provided some firewall mods are made for rear-mounted distributor, and the radiator is relocated aft somewhere into the next zip code. Now, if you're going to move the cab rearwards that'd be a different story.... Fitment of everything (exhaust, steering, dizzy, etc..) will be an exercisee in patience and creativity! Good luck~ and post your build!!

Scott

That, my friend, is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Much thanks! So, now that the pictures are taken care of, what about opinions on my potential build?

It's been a while since I last looked (or cared to look) under the hood of anything so new, but I can tell you this~ a small block chevy will shoehorn in (via measurements ONLY~ I have not done this swap yet!), provided some firewall mods are made for rear-mounted distributor, and the radiator is relocated aft somewhere into the next zip code. Now, if you're going to move the cab rearwards that'd be a different story.... Fitment of everything (exhaust, steering, dizzy, etc..) will be an exercisee in patience and creativity! Good luck~ and post your build!!

Scott

Well, it's just an idea right now. I've spent the last couple nights in the garage measuring what I can get to on the truck. I'm worried that the firewall sticks forward too much for the cab to look right without the fenders on it. I started playing with some pictures last night to see if I can get a nice rendering going. I'll post it up when I get it drawn out.

• 7 months later...