Resurrecting the 610 Coupe...

So after languishing for many years behind the shop, finally decided to get the 610 back on the road...

How it looked a few years ago:

102bob3.jpg

Last weekend picked an L20b and a 710 long tail 5spd from a local 510 guy who was moving out of state and didn't want to haul all his spares across country. Got a smoking deal too! :cool:

Put my spare clutch/flywheel on the engine and bolted up the trans, then in we go!

datto_stuff_001.JPG

My friend Dave helping out. It will be his daily driver when it's done. :thumbup:

datto_stuff_003.JPG

As it sits at the end of the day.

datto_stuff_002.JPG

Still some tweaking to do to the motor mounts. Couldn't find the stock right side engine mount, so cribbed one from the 620 parts truck. Doesn't quite fit right. :huh:

More progress to come tomorrow. :cool:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeay more 610!!! :thumbup:

+1 Is the new driver into forums like ratsun? I would hate to see a car like this leave the inner circle.

Dude, like I didn't force him to sign up for Ratsun when he bought it... :rolleyes:

;)

Should be a requirement upon sale...the ratsun welcome pack and sign up form.

So after languishing for many years behind the shop, finally decided to get the 610 back on the road...

How it looked a few years ago:

102bob3.jpg

Last weekend picked an L20b and a 710 long tail 5spd from a local 510 guy who was moving out of state and didn't want to haul all his spares across country. Got a smoking deal too! :cool:

Put my spare clutch/flywheel on the engine and bolted up the trans, then in we go!

datto_stuff_001.JPG

My friend Dave helping out. It will be his daily driver when it's done. :thumbup:

datto_stuff_003.JPG

As it sits at the end of the day.

datto_stuff_002.JPG

Still some tweaking to do to the motor mounts. Couldn't find the stock right side engine mount, so cribbed one from the 620 parts truck. Doesn't quite fit right. :huh:

More progress to come tomorrow. :cool:

This is a great "git-her back on the road" project. i just hope i can crank it up and drive it home by this thursday. With datsunfreak's help and support, i think we can do it. Itchin to get back into a datsun.

any info on getting that 510 front bumper on there?

Not much to tell really. With the 510 brackets it basically bolted right on. Just had to trim the inside edges on the ends so it didn't rub the fenders.

what airdam is on the car in the first pic?

That's an ebay special from way back when. It was for a B210 but fit up perfectly.

Dave wants and airdam for it, so we popped it off and put it on my B210. :cool:

crappy_005s.jpg

We took the air dam off Dave's old 510 and it looks like it will fit right onto the 610 with a teeny bit of trimming. ;)

This style, plus the rubber skirt.

Picture_256.jpg

where do i go to pick up my welcome pack and "goodie bag" ? The one with the Ratsun sticker inside.

I'm still waiting for mine...1900+ posts later...

Welcome to Ratsun! Datsunfreak knows I am outspoken, and he likes my quote soooo much that he uses it in his signature ;)

Datsunfreak likes my quote soooo much that he uses it in his signature ;)

Wiser words have never been spoken. :cool:

Today's progress...

Dave helping me fab the world's strongest transmission crossmember... :P

heeter_610_001.JPG

Grill back on...

heeter_610_002.JPG

Radiator in, distributor in and wired, 90% of the engine wiring is done, and 100 other little things I'm forgetting.

heeter_610_004.JPG

Dave got bored during a break and decided to test fit an old air dam we had kicking around. A little trimming and it might actually fit...

heeter_610_003.JPG

Should have the intake/exhaust done in the AM, and water/fuel plumbing done in the PM. If all goes well, we should be able to fire it up tomorrow. :cool:

Thursday...

New MSD coil...

normal_heeter_006.JPG

Radiator hoses in, heater hoses in, thermostat bypass ran, new fuel lines in, fuel tank drained, lots of little stuff done/fabbed...

heeter_007.JPG

heeter_005.JPG

Dang close to driving, but we had to stop here. Dave is going on vacation with the family and he wants to be here for the first fire, so probably no progress updates until next Saturday. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Fuel lines ran, all coolant hoses installed (no leaks!), made a fuel pump block-off plate, and lots of other new stuff...

crap_001~1.JPG

Couldn't find the A/C compressor bracket so made a JY run and grabbed one from a 280Z. Then found out the 6 cyl bracket doesn't work on a 4cyl. <_<

Made some "custom" aluminum spacers to make it work. Fits up a treat now...

crap_003~0.JPG

Dave kindly painted up my spare valve cover for a bit more flash...

crap_005~1.JPG

Got to install and wire up a new fuel pump this saturday, figure out how to make the throttle cable work, then it should be ready to fire up and run. :cool:

We'll get the drive shaft shortened and installed the week after then she should be back on the road for good. :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

It lives! :blink:

Got everything under the hood buttoned up, and the new fuel pump in, and it fired up on the first try! :P

Had to drain the gas a second time though. It smelled HORRIBLE! Hopefully some fresh gas will let it run for more than a few seconds at a time. :lol:

And one of the carb floats wasn't working quite right, swapped that out and it's fine. Spent a lot of time fiddling with the carbs to get the pistons to drop smoothly. And finally got the throttle linkage finished off, works a treat now.

Should have the driveshaft in Saturday and hopefully be able to drive it around the parking lot a bit! :cool:

you have too many project threads and not enough updates

Well, tough to have one without the other... :P

When you are building 6 different cars at the same time, it makes it tough to update shit... :P

Rebuilding wrecked '71 510 (toy for me)

Doing suspension fab work on '73 1200 (toy for me)

Doing steady upgrades to the '75 B210 (daily driver for me)

Resurrecting the '74 610 (daily driver for Dave)

Doing a Z20E engine swap into a '58 TR3 (toy for Tim)

Putting a full race A15 into a '77 B210 (toy for Tim)

And who knows what derelict Datsun we'll rescue from the shelter next week...

Oh, and I'm probably going to buy a late 70s Honda CB750 motorcycle this fall. Because I'm not busy enough... :P

• 5 months later...

Could you post a closeup of the throttle linkage? I'm using the same carb setup on my 710, and I need to figure out how to connect everything!

Sorry, but we ended up taking all that stuff off. There's plenty of pics online of SU linkage though? Due to too many drivability issues we ended up taking the SUs off and putting on a new Weber 32/36. Runs WAY better now.

Pic from the first successful test drive

crap_002~1.JPG

Dave also bought some new rollers for it, 16x8.5's with 245 tires. Steamrollers! :blink:

crap_006~1.JPG

crap_004~0.JPG

crap_005~0.JPG

More pics to come, after we lower it a bit. :cool:

No problem - Datzenmike sent me a 710 linkage from his parts car, so I should be all set.

It'll be going into my car next week if all goes according to plan!

The 510 front bumper looks great on that 610 - does the 510 rear bumper work too?

Sorry, but we ended up taking all that stuff off. There's plenty of pics online of SU linkage though? Due to too many drivability issues we ended up taking the SUs off and putting on a new Weber 32/36. Runs WAY better now.