fuel pressure problems and questions

.sunlover

All excited, new to me cleanish tank in, rusted through one out, and all of a sudden I get 10+ lbs of fuel pressure, it used to be 3-4 like it's supposed to be, figured regulator had air bubbles and would be fine in a bit so I said fuck it, wanted to DD it sooo bad, it ran alright, made it about 1 mile and it starts sputtering out. of course flooded, but the new starter won't crank it over all of a sudden. That confused the fuck out of me, so I run through it W Skib, n he thinks I might not have the regulator set up right. single inlet web carb, i'm pretty sure I got it right, tank in, carb out, and return, all before the carb. and it was working fine but not great before. sometimes it would go to 6 then back down to 3-4. I had to adjust it all the way down, nearly threaded out of the hole before to get it to work right.my question is, my 6-9 electric pump suddenly makes 10+ and the big regulator won't turn it down anymore, so here's some oiks, is it right, and is the only fix, buying a 2-4 pump and saying fuck the regulator?

regulator out is 3/8 to the carb, split to feed my fuel pressure gauge and carb at 5/16. Return line is out the bottom 1/4

0523111340.jpg

now a close up

0523111341.jpg

gratuitous engine shot

0507112001.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

buying a 2-4 pump and saying fuck the regulator?

Might work I always have a spare manual fuel puump could try that and pull the power the fuel pump.

as for not cranking over. This is only a guess but pull the lugs and make sure not full of gas and DO NOT START IT , till you let the gas evaporate out in case its just locking up ,but figure it would fire anyways.

clean battery cables ect.

10 pounds is what to much for the needle valve in carb

buying a 2-4 pump and saying fuck the regulator?

Might work I always have a spare manual fuel puump could try that and pull the power the fuel pump.

as for not cranking over. This is only a guess but pull the lugs and make sure not full of gas and DO NOT START IT , till you let the gas evaporate out in case its just locking up ,but figure it would fire anyways.

clean battery cables ect.

10 pounds is what to much for the needle valve in carb

thanks, pulled em, wiped the fuel off, cranked it w open holes for a few, ether started it, pump off, and goosed it w the pump ever so often back home, and it ran like a champ. 2-4lb pump on the shopping list, can't run a manual anymore, removed the cam bolt on lobe for that, don't ask why, there's alot i'd do differently if I started the project now. I still am holding a little hope there's an easy fix with the regulator though, but 40-45 bucks isn't too much to spend on a way that I know works. the pump shouldn't even be able to make that much pressure, unless it was mismarked and, say a 35lb or something. Well, off to work....... In my ford :(....... Again...... can't wait to see what you guys have to say.

looking at your photos, I'm not sure the regulator is plumbed correct.

Most bypass style regulators have feed from pump going in, then unused fuel return to tank (flow excess bleed off) & the third port going to the guage.

A basic pressure regulator, like a Holley #0804 will not have a return to the tank.

Don't take it all off just because of one little problem. Thats not solving anything. Just work through it & solve the issue. Fuel systems aren't too hard.