Newb and Proud

Uncle Laulau

Slide the transmission to the rear, putting the tail shaft housing over the frame cross member. At this point, sometimes you can rest the bell housing on the torsion bars. Twist the transmission slightly to clear the torsion bars, lower the front of the transmission, and slide it forward off the cross member, and out of the truck.

Putting back in and holding that trans up is gon to be a MOFO

I thought about removing the exhaust man bolt also but most l16 manifold I come across one bolt is usually sheared off. Esp a nearing 40years on there if they never been broke aprt before.

LauLau get some

I would help assist you(tell you wha to do ) and you hit the pavement.

But I live to far.

Do you remember Kamikaze skate boards? I got so much grief for having one. It had a dope rising sun thing going on. I can still see that deck, and remember my shame when somone would ask, "dude is that a kamikaze?". Junior high was rough. I will get help when the time comes for elclutcho. Thanks for saying my truck was cool, kinda makes up for some of my junior high trauma.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont remeber Kamakazi skate boards. We were so poor we used old tires to make Vietnamese GOODYEAR Sandals as foot wear.

But anyway when you get around to it tget a battery hold down and get the molded battery cables. The ones we the 3 pc ends suck obver time and give ya starting proplems

You made tire shoes! I saw some Africans doing that on the tv. Now I'm having issues locating a proper battery holder downer. Bought one I figured would do the trick and it don't fit. So I'm back to bungee holder hybred set up. 1/2 bungee 1/2 proper holder down thingy. I would love to get one of the trick metal border type holder, the kind that fits all the way around the top border of the battery. Just can't find ones that will hook to those two holes on the side of the two bars that hold up the tray. I've heard members make fun of the bungee cord thing before, was that you? Funny.

Now what tis dis about better cables. The ones I'm running may give me problems? Hmmmm due tell me more I'm listening.

IMG_9505.jpg

Any advise on the best way to instal these lil guys behind my front wheels. I might use the same epoxy I used for my hood badge. You see I don't really want to drill into the back of the fender/floor board area. Rains all the time and I don't dig the idea of making more rust homes.

Oh and these will make the truck faster right?

IMG_9512.jpg

Oh yah peep my new air filter. Got it off a chevy love. They had it in the import section of the junk yard. Even the pro's think 521 and loves look alike. Oh those are one of a kind clamps. I fabricated them in my shop, from left over ikea parts!

IMG_9511.jpg

So this battery set up is also very custom one of a kind. Please help me, the customness is not working so well on this mod.

Ohh, the side marker lights are a TOTAL pain in the ass to find it seems like. We just put ours back together yesterday with the bulbs that we purchased...... which were the wrong ones and hit the lens as well.

So, after a little research, we figured out the correct one, but couldn't find them locally here in Seattle.

This is the google image search results for the Eiko 67 bulb that is required for the side marker lights. We ended up buying them on Amazon, but hopefully this is a start for you.

I found some 67's on ebay from ge, eiko, phillips, roadpro and a slew of generic brands. I think i'll buy a box of ten for myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roadpro-RP-67-Heavy-Duty-Automotive-Replacement-Bulbs-/170636115085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bab47c8d

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Professional-Grade-Miniture-Bulbs-67-Great-Deal-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a03889d37QQitemZ180447911223QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-Miniature-Light-bulbs-Box-10-13-5-Volt-Amp-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20a9c2ac91QQitemZ140287061137QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

this ebay listing has some crazy cross reference for that bulb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eiko-67-40845-Light-Bulb-Qty-10-NIB-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a4a39a96bQQitemZ250353396075QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

yur batt cables are good for now just later when you fell rich get the better ones.

My old man would use those cables and always had starter proplems with his Ford truck. Then one day I said swap cables as he already swap and starter and a moneth later it did the same thing. So he put solder on the end of the cable and it stopped. Copper in Air will start oxidizing.

batter hold down looks Ok I have the square one that goes on the top but they list them as batter size if I remeber right.

The Viet Cong Sandals was a joke.

I say Dont put the mudflaps on front of a clean 521

I found some 67's on ebay from ge, eiko, phillips, roadpro and a slew of generic brands. I think i'll buy a box of ten for myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item27bab47c8d

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

this ebay listing has some crazy cross reference for that bulb.

Thanks mandingo. Do you ever get the urge to just rip all the wires out and start fresh? I do, and then realize I wouldn't know how to put new ones in.

yur batt cables are good for now just later when you fell rich get the better ones.

My old man would use those cables and always had starter proplems with his Ford truck. Then one day I said swap cables as he already swap and starter and a moneth later it did the same thing. So he put solder on the end of the cable and it stopped. Copper in Air will start oxidizing.

batter hold down looks Ok I have the square one that goes on the top but they list them as batter size if I remeber right.

The Viet Cong Sandals was a joke.

I say Dont put the mudflaps on front of a clean 521

Thanks for the heads up on the cables. You've got me thinking about the front mud flaps. Hmmmmmm I did pay for them, so at least I should try em out. We shall see.

Thanks for the heads up on the cables. You've got me thinking about the front mud flaps. Hmmmmmm I did pay for them, so at least I should try em out. We shall see.

I just dont like putiing extra hole in datsuns as they rust so EZ unless this is a disposable truck for you.

I seen you got a Coil in your truck. Make sure it was from another 510/521 or datsun that has a point coil.

If ytou still have points you need a point coil. otherwise the lower vaulue resisatance of the new EI type will kill the points drawing to much current and youll be on the side of the road.

If you run a matchbox then youll need the newer EI type.

But it you have a Matchbox and put a point coil with No ballast that will kill it also .

So really dont be swapping stuff that has worked for 20years unless you get year specfic stuff.

Cause a week later youll be on here why my truck is a pc of shit. but grandma had no proplm in 20 years.

Usually what happen a young mechanic sees BLING and really its only that and the wrong type and it breaks soon after.

I know I went thru this already. Helpn a guy . He had a Acell Supecoil the big one. One ballast resisitor and points. he coundnt drive down the street. Were looking at carbs. swapping points ect. then find out the supercoil neede danther ballast as it was frying the points instantly!!!!!!!!!But we figure this out after he towed it home $$$$

Sure you paid for em but just think what a nice piece of wall art they would make. I for one am all for not making new holes or smearing epoxy on nice old Japanese steel.

Sure you paid for em but just think what a nice piece of wall art they would make. I for one am all for not making new holes or smearing epoxy on nice old Japanese steel.

I see. My wife would not dig that look. Well I will definitely not put holes in my floor board for them. Rubber cement seems harmless, we will see. I might make a hole for 2 inch exhaust. I like the look of pipes sticking threw sheet metal, or ahead of the rear wheel. Dono what I'm gonna do yet. Let's see what happens.

I just dont like putiing extra hole in datsuns as they rust so EZ unless this is a disposable truck for you.

I seen you got a Coil in your truck. Make sure it was from another 510/521 or datsun that has a point coil.

If ytou still have points you need a point coil. otherwise the lower vaulue resisatance of the new EI type will kill the points drawing to much current and youll be on the side of the road.

If you run a matchbox then youll need the newer EI type.

But it you have a Matchbox and put a point coil with No ballast that will kill it also .

So really dont be swapping stuff that has worked for 20years unless you get year specfic stuff.

Cause a week later youll be on here why my truck is a pc of shit. but grandma had no proplm in 20 years.

Usually what happen a young mechanic sees BLING and really its only that and the wrong type and it breaks soon after.

I know I went thru this already. Helpn a guy . He had a Acell Supecoil the big one. One ballast resisitor and points. he coundnt drive down the street. Were looking at carbs. swapping points ect. then find out the supercoil neede danther ballast as it was frying the points instantly!!!!!!!!!But we figure this out after he towed it home $$

Oh my, I think you hit it on the head. After driving a bit with the new coil I'm getting some hesitating. I'll rev the engine a bit and it goes away. Maybe this is me slowly burning the points. Hmmmmmm. I got the coil off a 70ish chevy love. I still am thinking of the headers on that thing. I don't think they will fit my l18. I took a picture of them, I'll look for it and post.