swap a J13 into my 64 L320

hz in az

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the mount from your stock engine....do you have it? It should bolt on to the J13 engine. The J13 is a bolt in if you have all the stuff from your original motor. You take off the 520 mount and put on the 320 mount. Someone confirm this or correct me if I am wrong. Zenon

Where is the mount from your stock engine....do you have it? It should bolt on to the J13 engine. The J13 is a bolt in if you have all the stuff from your original motor. You take off the 520 mount and put on the 320 mount. Someone confirm this or correct me if I am wrong. Zenon

I beleave your right, just use the mount hardware from the E1 on the J13, I also beleave that the transmission plate that was/is connected to the E1 will bolt to the J13 also, then you can use the stock E1 transmission as well. I don't know how well built the E1 tranny is, but the J13 isn't that big of a jump in power. Of course I could be totally wrong here, wouldn't be the first time. wayno

Regarding the transmission mount, if you are swapping in a different transmission you may need to fab a new mount, you need to seek more advice. My truck is a 64 that has the 4 speed trans that is column shift. My swap just involved swapping the blocks, I think everything that was bolted to the E1 was then bolted to the J13, including the trans mounting plate and trans. I believe that some 65 trucks came with a floor mount 4 speed? Either way, you may need to do some work on the trans cross member and/or trans mount to put in a later transmission. PM Mklotz, he may have some of these answers. Zenon

Regarding the transmission mount, if you are swapping in a different transmission you may need to fab a new mount, you need to seek more advice. My truck is a 64 that has the 4 speed trans that is column shift. My swap just involved swapping the blocks, I think everything that was bolted to the E1 was then bolted to the J13, including the trans mounting plate and trans. I believe that some 65 trucks came with a floor mount 4 speed? Either way, you may need to do some work on the trans cross member and/or trans mount to put in a later transmission. PM Mklotz, he may have some of these answers. Zenon

ya i am using a 67 520 four on the floor tranny that came bolted to the motor. i cut out the floor for the floor shift, now it is just sitting on the crossmember and on the old mounts up front. i friend is rebuilding the carb.

Ok, I might not have figured this out yet totally, these are the mounting brackets for the J block that bolt to the 520 frame, if you have these brackets from the 520/21 frame, they might bolt to the L320 frame, allowing you to put the J block into the L320 frame, otherwise you will need the E1 block mounting hardware off the E1 block to mount to theJ13 block, I know it will work one of these ways, or maybe both. You will need the adapter plate(bolts to the E1 block behind the flywheel) to mount the E1 transmission to the J block, I think this is how it works, someone tell me if this info is wrong.

DSCN0545.jpg

DSCN0547.jpg

This is all i can get. Driver side motor mount is hard to get a pic off. When i got the motor it also had those motormounts in place and bolted right onto the stock l320 mount mounts location.

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

thx for the pics. it looks like you have all the E1 mounting on yours. i am working on a lead for E1 motor mounts and upper mounting brackets.

I just picked up a 64 L320 with a J13 in it.The guy I got it from lost the starter. Does anyone know what starter it takes? I tried one for a 520 and it does not work, the drive end of the starter does not extend deep enough to engage the flywheel . Pic's and part numbers would be great if someone has them.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I beleave your right, just use the mount hardware from the E1 on the J13, I also beleave that the transmission plate that was/is connected to the E1 will bolt to the J13 also, then you can use the stock E1 transmission as well. I don't know how well built the E1 tranny is, but the J13 isn't that big of a jump in power. Of course I could be totally wrong here, wouldn't be the first time. wayno

Jessie- you need to identify the transmission, if you have the stock 320 trans bolted to the J13 then you probably need a starter for your year of 320. I think there are two types, an early and a late model. Sorry if that is vague, but start at identifying the transmission in your truck and start a thread with some pics.