5 lug swap on kingpins mklotz70

Hmmm.....I guess I can put both options here.  The original version in the thread is for a simpler version.......but, I've been working on this "big rotor" option for Dave.  I'm sure some have seen the CAD work on the Modeling thread, but here it is again.  There might actually be some progress made on this option in the next few days :)

OutlawAssy2.jpg

OutlawAssy3.jpg

OutlawAssy1.jpg

OutlawAssy5.jpg

OutlawAssy9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's actually 3 versions....but I think the oldest caliper is too narrow for the rotor......but I'm wondering if the 30mm aluminum and 30mm iron ones have exactly the same bolt spacing and offset.....can they be interchanged.  I'm guessing they can, but it would be good to know for sure.

Best page I've found yet showing the differences between them.   http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm

Looking at the rotors on Rockauto, it appears the offset would be the same.   The 26mm calipers don't seem to be any cheaper.  If I'm looking at things right, I think that either caliper would work, they would just need to be used with their matching rotor.   In this case, where it's an aftermarket rotor, the wider calipers would not be perfectly centered over the rotor unless a different bracket or rotor adapter was used. 

Mike and I have been collaborating on this over the past few months. Mike will be doing the caliper bracket and the bearing to spindle adapters. He designed a great looking rotor adapter, but somewhere along the line my Dad's Yankee Ingenuity (and frugality) took over.

When I got the raw material and set off to my Dad's place to get them machined, he had some ideas to reduce fabrication time (ie why spend time taking off material if it isn't in the way), so we made some changes to Mike's design. In the end with less material removed the part turns out being stronger. Here are a couple pictures of the revised design as it will be going on Oil Drop.

Rotor with adapter from hub side (before mounting holes were drilled)

Rotor-Adapter_Hub_Side_no_holes.JPG

Rotor with adapter from rotor side (before mounting holes were drilled)

Rotor-Adapter_Rotor_Side_no_holes.JPG

Hub, adapter and rotor (before mounting holes were drilled)

Rotor-Adapter-Hub_Hub_Side_no_holes.JPG

• Like 1

Here's the hub Mike machined for me. I had Juan (krecs) make me a setup for 14" rotors that originally were intended to be used with EVO8 brembo brakes. The rotors were too big for the calipers (diameter on EVO8 is only 12.6"), so we opted for the Infiniti calipers my friend had.

IMAG0136_zpsa921424a.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Much better chance of that if you find someone to loan me a Z32 caliper for a month or two :)

I have a spare Z32 aluminum caliper core, but it's for the 30mm rotor.

You could probably shave down a few milimeters from each half to make it into the narrower version. to work with the Odyssey rotors.

Your's for the shipping, if you still need it.

Oh, and there are 5-lug rear axles in Japan for the H190, from the early Cedric, and Gloria. Just haven't confirmed that they are the right length yet.

• Like 2

I have a spare Z32 aluminum caliper core, but it's for the 30mm rotor.

You could probably shave down a few milimeters from each half to make it into the narrower version. to work with the Odyssey rotors.

Your's for the shipping, if you still need it.

Oh, and there are 5-lug rear axles in Japan for the H190, from the early Cedric, and Gloria. Just haven't confirmed that they are the right length yet.

I can honestly say that I'd completely forgotten about that post.  I'll pm you. :)

I have a rearend here now.....I'm going to look at the possibility of redrilling......pretty sure it will require some lathe work on the back side of the axle.

• Like 1