clean your hazard flasher switch

I had to do this because my turn signals weren't working. I had to constantly rapidly move the switch back and forth to clean the contacts inside just enough for the signals to work for a bit, then every time I used the hazards, I'd have to do it again.

Things you'll need:

• phillips head screwdriver
  • smallish flatblade screwdriver
  • 2000 grit sandpaper
  • rubbing alcohol
  • Q-tips
  • Dielectric grease
  • 15-30 mins.

1. Pull of top cover of steering column.

DSCN0011.jpg

2. Pull out the plug. There's two clippie tabbie thingies (one on each side) that you push in to release it. They do break easily, both of mine broke while taking it out.

DSCN0013.jpg

3. Remove the switch from the cover.

DSCN0014.jpg

4. Bend the tabs up on the switch to get to the insides. Do this step over like a bowl or something, as there is really small parts in there that you don't want to lose.

DSCN0015.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg

DSCN0018.jpg

5. Take this-

DSCN0019.jpg

and some 2000 grit sand paper, and shine up those ridges on the sides so that it looks like this-

DSCN0020.jpg

6. Do the same to the contacts on the switch base.

Before-

DSCN0023.jpg

After-

DSCN0024.jpg

7. Clean both parts with some rubbing alcohol and Q-tips.

8. Put a shmear of dielectric grease on the contacts to prevent this from getting corroded or dirty again.

DSCN0031.jpg

9. Take the switch and make sure you have: 2 small springs in the sides, 2 ball bearings on top of those springs, and a larger center spring:

DSCN0028.jpg

10. Install the sliding contact thingamajig (just sits on top of the spring).

DSCN0029.jpg

11. Put the switch in the top part of the switch housing EXACTLY HOW IT IS SHOWN. (This oic only concerns people who have this switch. All you others who don't have this switch, just remember how yours came out wink.gif).

DSCN0030.jpg

12. Put the bottom onto the top (so those small parts don't fall out), and bend those tabs back in.

DSCN0033.jpg

The rest of the installation is reverse of removal.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if the switch is different for the 85, but the same principle will apply. Just rip apart (nicelylaugh.gif), clean the contacts, grease, put together, throw it back on. Ta-da! And if that doesn't help, try to see if the hazard flasher unit works. (Or do that first, doesn't mattersmile.gif)

A common problem with the 720s is a loss of turn signals. What took me an hour on a friend's 720 to find out was that for the 4 ways to work, the turn sgnals are disconnected so that they don't interfear with the 4 way flasher. When you switch the 4 ways off' the turns are reconnected. The problem with the switch is that it can travel too far and go past the connection and leave the turns disconnected. The fix is to move the switch slightly toward the 4 way position until they start working again.