Head Gasket Change/Need Manual

kansascity1

I need to change the head gasket in my 70 521(L16), and I need a manual to verify torque specs and tightening pattern. If anybody can scan this section out of there manual I would appreciate it. I was also wondering if you have to change the head bolts like you do on some cars or if you can reuse them.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I didn't warn you.....but..... You could always try one of those quick outs from craftsman or just the old fashion drill it out.

Don't forget to be VERY careful not to hit the threads on the block and make doubly sure that you have EVERY crevice, passage, cylinder/piston taped/covered so you don't get metal shavings all over the place!!!!

....a bunch of times (at the point you are at) I just take my bottom end to the machine shop and start over....

So I've got everything apart now, the only problem is I snapped an exhaust manifold stud, and I can't get it out. It is down so short I can't even get vise grips on it. Any suggestions?

If by manifold stud you mean the ones that hold the exhaust down pipe, carefully drill a hole for the easy out and have it ready. Then heat around the broken stud 'till at least red hot with a torch, and quickly twist it out. It will squeal like a pig, but will turn out with hardly any effort. The heat makes the metal expand so the hole actually gets bigger and lessens it's hold on the stud.

Can't say I didn't warn you.....but..... You could always try one of those quick outs from craftsman or just the old fashion drill it out.

Don't forget to be VERY careful not to hit the threads on the block and make doubly sure that you have EVERY crevice, passage, cylinder/piston taped/covered so you don't get metal shavings all over the place!!!!

....a bunch of times (at the point you are at) I just take my bottom end to the machine shop and start over....

It was at the bottom end of the manifold, at the exhaust flange.

Hey KC1, When you bolt up your down pipe to your exhaust manifold, use stainless steel nuts, hell if you, can replace the studs too. The heat and road spray chew up the regular ones pretty fast, I use the SS nuts and they work great! They are only a buck each, and you never worry about your socket slipping on a rust eroded nut while taking your pipe off.

I first tried this many years ago on my 521, the nuts were so bad that I used a socket 2mm smaller to get them off. The first time I had my 620 pipe off I switched them.