510- 2000GT Skyline conversion?

Hey guys,

So I was on Forza and noticed the 1971 Skyline and the Datsun 510 look really similar, and seeing as buying a 2000GT Skyline is nearly impossible/insanely expensive, I was thinking of buying a 510 and converting it to look like a 2000GT Skyline. Some people have told me "good luck" and "parts are damn near impossible to find" but I know there's gotta be a way to do it. I think it would be a fun project to do, and just wanted to know if you guys know of anyone that has done such a thing before. I would appreciate feedback if you know places that sell the front fenders, mirrors, and emblems and such. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhh about 6-10" of extra motor length...scale in a video game and reality are sometimes a bitch.

...but the only thing limiting you is $, fab skills and the will to get shit done. If you have those...have at it :D

the headlights and taillights look similar, but other than that they're very different cars. hit some good res pics of both and you'll see what i mean

replicating the proportions of the skyline, getting the front end right and the front and rear quarter panel details done, in any way is going to be a lot of effort. and in the end it'll still look like a 510. it certainly wont be as easy as bolting things on or just a bit of fibreglass

its been done before but using a different car. some drifters wanted to race about in a KPGC10 racecar but noone wanted to break one, so they took a laurel (i think it was) and bashed about making new panels to make it look just like a skyline

turned out cool, but given the car they made it from is bigger it's easy to tell it isnt a skyline

honestly i reckon buying what you want (other than a KPGC10 that is) would work out cheaper

One thing the 510 and skyline do have in common is front and rear suspension designs. It is actually pretty crazy how similar they are.

But yeah, what the OP is proposing is a horrible idea.

• Like 1

good for u, shood of sold it to him too, 12 grand cash

probably as close as i will ever come to owning a skyline would be selling a fake one. as stupid as it sounds i could see a b210 conversion to a short nose c110 before the OPs idea

screw it. buy a messed up dime and go to work.

make a kit car build out of it. its not much different than the Ferrari 250gto kits people put on 240-280Zs.

250_gto_3729_1962.jpg

ferrari_3.jpg

stretch it a little bit, throw some foam on it, shape the foam til its right, then make fiberglass fenders, quarters, and whatnot. throw an rb20 in that beast and call it a day (or a year...whatever)

the thing is, dont waste your time asking for opinions on crazy ideas. people will shit talk, then call you a noob...whatever.

go on some kit car forums, read a lot, learn what you need to know to get your project moving/done then start talking about it.

the same people that called you a noob will be sucking your dick writing "OMG BEST THREAD EVAR!!!!!!!" WILL YOU BE SELLING KITS?!?!?!" blah blah blah...

the internet is full of people who will talk shit til you can post pictures and tell them to eat it.

-That said, if you're going to do it, DO IT RIGHT, and REALLY shut them up.-

Anyway, I think it could be done, and I also think it would be rad as fuck. Good luck man!

I think it would be fun to add elements of the Skylines to the 510. I've often thought about getting a cheap hako grille and modifying it to fit my 510, just for fun. If you have access to some cheap hako parts, it could be a fun project, and a realistic one if you're just changing a few parts to build something unique. I bet if you got the grille, tail lights and got the Skyline "surf line" on the bodysides on a 510, you'd have people doing double takes. Guys in Japan swap parts all the time- for example the C210 Skyline "Japan" tail light assemblies end up on all kinds of cars, including 240Z's. And it looks pretty cool in my opinion. And creations like the "Odyvias" wouldn't have happened if someone didn't try.

If you have the time and money to actually convert a 510 into a Skyline, you probably have the time and money to actually bring in a project Skyline from Japan. It wouldn't be as much as you'd think and you'd likely end up spending less. Time is money, you know. ;) Pick a few elements that you like from the Skyline and try incorporating them on your 510. I think it would work out much better that way.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

i have tried doing the front c10 skyline grill conversion. i borrowed a friends grill. just to see whats needed to be done. its possible but the grill wil have to be shortened and the 510 front will have to be cut up to fit. the headlight trim is taller. edge of the skyline trim is thicker making the headlight having to be mounted inward. and the whole grill is deeper. going to have to move the core support back or something. it will look cool if it was done. i scapped the idea because my car is clean. if you have a project car in work i would suggest trying. a skyline grill can be found on yahooauctions japan for cheaper than a bluebird grill. the rear lights is weird too. the taillights angles like a V . good luck.

There was actually a four cylinder skyline. I believe it had a 1500 cc engine in it. The front was 6-10" shorter than the standard I6 skyline. Might want to google some pics and look at that. Would freak people out if you could pull it off. Wait, I have an idea, graft an R34 front onto it... yeah, that's the ticket!!!!:lol: