l18 sss?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

210 was the stock L16 head. All others have something on them.

Just beware. Now a days EVERY motor is JDM yo or SSS or NOS so know what you are looking for. Best thing is to know more about it the the guy selling it. Don't believe everything you are told.

This motor would have been from a '73/'74 610 or 710 import motor from Japan. (I think) Should have flattop SUs like mine... (no SUs: not an SSS)

710carbs004Large.jpg

...and an A87 head with closed chamber 'peanut' head. You can find the A87 between spark plugs 1 and 2 on the lower edge just above the block. Naturally you can't tell from the outside if it's a peanut so wat yo gonna do? Take his word?

motorheaadA-87closed.jpg

210 was the stock L16 head. All others have something on them.

Just beware. Now a days EVERY motor is JDM yo or SSS or NOS so know what you are looking for. Best thing is to know more about it the the guy selling it. Don't believe everything you are told.

This motor would have been from a '73/'74 610 or 710 import motor from Japan. (I think) Should have flattop SUs like mine... (no SUs: not an SSS)

710carbs004Large.jpg

...and an A87 head with closed chamber 'peanut' head. You can find the A87 between spark plugs 1 and 2 on the lower edge just above the block. Naturally you can't tell from the outside if it's a peanut so wat yo gonna do? Take his word?

motorheaadA-87closed.jpg

Mike... the only difference I had on my L18 SSS that I got from Japan in the mid 80's was mine did have the round top SU's... I was told they also came with a recurved distributor...

When I get home today I'll upload an engine shot...

If it is an SSS, I think it will also have a six bolt flywheel.

Incorrect. Only the L20B had a 6 bolt flywheel. L16s and L18s both had 5 bolt flywheels, despite the carburetion process.

There are two different crankshafts for the L-16, and the L-18. The competition, or "racing" or "SSS" crankshafts for both the L-16, and L-18 have eight full counterweights on the crankshaft, and SIX bolts to hold the flywheel on.

The six bolt crankshaft was used in some Japanese cars, with the L-18 engine. They also had fuel injection on the 4 cylinder L-18 engines.

I have in one of my 521 pickup a L-18 engine I bought from an engine importer in the late 1970's or early 1980's. It was a fuel injection L-18, and had 6 bolt crankshaft in it.

Do not tell me six bolt L-18 crankshafts do not exist. I have one.

There are two different crankshafts for the L-16, and the L-18. The competition, or "racing" or "SSS" crankshafts for both the L-16, and L-18 have eight full counterweights on the crankshaft, and SIX bolts to hold the flywheel on.

The six bolt crankshaft was used in some Japanese cars, with the L-18 engine. They also had fuel injection on the 4 cylinder L-18 engines.

I have in one of my 521 pickup a L-18 engine I bought from an engine importer in the late 1970's or early 1980's. It was a fuel injection L-18, and had 6 bolt crankshaft in it.

Do not tell me six bolt L-18 crankshafts do not exist. I have one.

I stand corrected. I have never seen a 6 bolt L18 crankshaft, and had no point of reference. All the L18s I have ever owned or worked on were obviously destined for the USDM, and had 5 bolt crankshafts. My Bad...

There were at least three "SSS" 1800 engines:

Datsun 510 SSS 1800 L18T -- Twin dome-top hitachis

Datsun 610 SSS 1800 L18T -- Twin Flattop hitachis

Datsun 610 SSS 1800 L18E -- EGI (port EFI), similar to the 1975 280Z, but the L18 version came out first