521 wont turn off

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what was the proplem first of all???

Why change both?

have truck running then turn Key OFF then unplug the external volt reg. If shuts off I would try the old volt reg that you saved right? and try that.If good try to get your money back on used eleltrical parts!!!!!!!

get a volt meter and make sure its charging. correctly.

depends on where you get the volt reg the know the USA made mechanical ones suck. Sold by Napa or other under the neihoff brand.

I use the Wells solid state units sold by carquest or autozone. or any solid state one would be better.

Japanes mechanicals are OK also. But once I wnr solid state I never went back.

Hawaiians like LauLau!!!!!!!!

Ok Bonzai,

I put in a couple of alternators from late 1970's trucks, boiled one battery and ign light stayed on. I then decided to get a new voltage reg. since I couldn't fix the charging issue after I got a new battery that could handle the new alternator. Then the I got a clue and realized my alternator had an internal regulator. Went on ratsun to find a how to bypass the external and did. Bypassed the external reg and am running ok. Hesitates now but am happy.

IMG_9382.jpg

the little blue wire from the positive battery cable is new, old one was taught and broke off killing the engine.

First new alternator, died after about a week?

IMG_9381.jpg

I asked the parts dude for one that fit a 1979 datsun pu, and that's what he gave me. I think it had an internal regulator and it fried a battery when I unwittingly ran it with the external regulator, duh.