L521 Steam Conversion

reinCARnate

I actually posted some help topics, but thought I'd introduce this L521 in a separate thread.

https://picasaweb.google.com/naiche22/1969DatsunL521PickupTeardown1#

https://picasaweb.google.com/naiche22/1969DatsunL521PickupTeardown2#

Found this one on ebay a couple years back. No rust damage, very clean body. Pretty sure it's the 1 ton L521, it had a J13 engine.

Been a slow project so far. At the beginning, I was ambitious about a complete teardown and restore, but now I'm just anxious to get it on the road.

The plan is to convert the engine to steam and run this as a steam hybrid, mostly likely on propane & electric. I'm working with a steam guy to put a new head and manifold on the block that will essentially double the torque/hp of the motor.

The engine was seized when I got the truck, couldn't break it, so I took it down to the machinist a couple weeks back. Just heard from him today that it had spun bearings, which is why it was seized and as a result, the crank would need to be cut and rewelded.

So, I'm planning to find another engine/tranny combo to put in its place. Any suggestions? Needs to be 4 cylinder, that's all.

This really is a great community from what I've been seeing. Good stuff here.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting but not economic. If you have gas run it on gas. You can double the torque but it will need 4 times the fuel to do so. Steam engines are 1-10% efficient, gas engines 15-20% efficient. Now if you were burning wood or waste for fuel it wouldn't matter so much as the fuel would be low cost.

Interesting but not economic. If you have gas run it on gas. You can double the torque but it will need 4 times the fuel to do so. Steam engines are 1-10% efficient, gas engines 15-20% efficient. Now if you were burning wood or waste for fuel it wouldn't matter so much as the fuel would be low cost.

We're doing an "expansion" steam engine. We can practically get 20-30%. Also, planning to run on propane (electric eventually). Since I'm doing all stock, I'm thinking of grabbing a Toyota 22R drivetrain. I hear they can take the extra torque that I will get with steam.

I'll give updates as the project goes along. Yes, it's somewhat a science experiment, but we have a working prototype on an air compressor engine. Should work. We'll see.